Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
 Field report (updates on 'Stang, DNU, and Glider) >

Field report (updates on 'Stang, DNU, and Glider)

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Field report (updates on 'Stang, DNU, and Glider)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Field report (updates on 'Stang, DNU, and Glider)

Ok Guys, here is the lowdown on the most recent status updates on these planes of mine.

The mustang is/was in flyign condition. (Now need new receivers) I will place an order for 3 of these bergs at somepoint in the near future after I run some radio tests.

The glider is flight ready aldo minus receiver..

The DNU decided to give me greif while I was covering it. It is still needing covering ( I hate monocote).

Ok, Saturday the flyign club in Montgomery (RAMM club) held their monthly meetign at the field so I thought it would be the perfect weekend to come out and introduce myself and show off my planes. I stayed up all night ( not a wink of sleep) finishing these planes. Bad thign about that was that around 3-4am my covering skills started to degrade, but the planes didn't suffer too much.

I got to the field at around 11:20 expecting to be late since the meeting was supposed to start at 11. Not the case. It did not start until about noon. So the meeting kicks off and after club buisness a brief presentation was given on different types of paint and how to make the most out of your paint job. It was actually fairly interesting and useful.

About 15 minutes into the paint presentation, I look over and see a truck backing up to the pit area with a 5-8ft trailer on the back. Shortly after 3 more trucks show up. So at this point I am thinking, " Oh ya, this is gonna be a fun day." We had a Matt C 33%ish cap, 2 p-40 large scale, 1 large zero, and 2 p-51's. All beautiful planes.

So after the meeting gets done I start unloading my planes. I take the glider out in its pieces and place it on a table and then I pull out the stang and assemble it and put it under a table. I had been having some issues with the fuel line on the glider, so I cut some new tubing for it and reran my lines (THANKS TO TIM FOR THOSE 2 engines!!!!!!!!). While workign with the glider I totally forgot abotu the stang under the table, and it wasn't until someone came over and asked me about it that I remembered it. It was the most random question too, " Is that stang an electric?" I just kinda blinked at the guy. Then he continued, " I know you have a muffler on it, but I thought that might be to just make it look like a glow." I responded, " No, its a glow." And he was like, "Oh, what size motor is that?" I told him it was a .15 and he just kinda looked at me weird.

Apparently these guys at this field are not used to see anything under a .25. Ya'll shoulda seen the looks the modified SS's got.

Well, the day progressed and I put the mustang up on a starting stand to break it in. Took me and two guys from work about 10 minutes to get it to fire up ( That much trouble from an OS? Did we do somethign wrong?) Jim (member of this forum) made good use of his electric starter, but it was still a task to get it to fire. But once it did, man did it turn heads! I also dont think these guys are used to hearing an engine turing at 10-11k rpm. We ran the mustang througha tank of fuel(3oz) and tached it at various points. I think the max we got was around 11-12kish (correct me here Jim) on an 8x4. We only took short reading since we were still breaking it in. Only ran the stang through that one tank before Jim was itching to see it in the air.

So, I went back over to the table and started putting my control horns back on the servos. Once I got to the point where I wanted to center my servos, I cut my receiver and radio on only to find that I was glitchign horribly accross every single servo. I am on ch40, Jim was on 39, and there was another guy on 41. Turns out the guy on 41 was BLASTING interfearance all across my channel. I think he was using one of those changeable frequency optic radios, but still, whenever he had his radio on my entire system was incapacitated. This kept me from doing much with the stang since even after I brough this to his attention he still continued to fiddle around with this radio settign trims on his model at various different time intervals. Because of this, I really did not feel safe enough in putting a model in the air since I had asked him to hold off and he kept saying, "one more flight", or, "a little bit longer"

I eventually got fed up with waiting and went and assembled the glider and put it on the test stand. We had an issue tring to fit a glow starter to the nelson plug. Seems their plug ends are bigger then standard (*** is up with that?) It took us a while to get the SS to crank. Not sure why. At one point Jim flipped the cone in his starter and tried to use it on the SS, but that only broke my firewall. So, I took some 5 min epoxy and fixed it up good as new (KE you would be proud). Once we got that SS started we got even more looks. MAN DID THAT THING SCREAM. It only tached at about 11-13kish if I remember correctly, but the sound of that thing really scared some of the guys out there.

We were gonna get that glider in the air, but when I went out to do my range check for it, that damn receiver started glitchign before I could get 20ft away. That in mind, I really did not want to put anythign in the air.

So the receiver problem kinda canceled my flying day for the most part.

The day was not a total waste however. I got to see a bunch of really nice planes. I also saw 1 p-40 crash, one p-51 crash, 1 big stick crash, Jim's Ucando took some damage, and I also got to see a Snoopy Dog hosue plane fly and crash behind the trees.

I am sure I left out alot of details, but I guess they will have to wait until later.

Oh, and I weighed the mustang. I am looking at about 30-33oz wet weight currently with a 4cell AA alkalyne battery (in the process of making soem packs)
That in mind with a .15 on the front and turning form between a 7x5 to an 8x5, what kinda performance do you think this 'stang will get? Will it actually make it off the ground?

Pictures will come shortly as soon as the camera has enough battery to transfer them.

Once again Guys, THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP. You have no idea how much I appreciate it.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:06 AM

Default RE: Field report (updates on 'Stang, DNU, and Glider)

Ooops... I can fix that with 5min
Words to live by, and foam friendly too. Pack it up & head home for a fix? Not while theres 5min in the trunk of my car.

Too bad about the interference. Maybe you should grab a 41 crystal & sticker up a plane with 41's all over. Then claim both 40 & 41 pins, to keep folks off 41 when you're using 40. A better plan would be to have you friend get a plane on 41, and spend his time share with the 41pin with the TX off to protect you on 40.

If you are running a 8x4 on the .15 stang, be sure to be on the little rich side, so it can really rev up once it gets up to speed. Without a flight to see what you need, pull or speed, I'd stay with the 8x4. But I would guess you may end up wanting a faster prop for the wing loading need for speed.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:00 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Take a peek at his radio while it's in impound. I had a similar problem once. Every time a fellow club member would turn his radio on, mine would go nuts. It turned out the crystal didn't match the sticker on the back. I pointed it out to him and he took the radio out of commission. Cursing ebay the whole time.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:10 AM

Yup, gotta love the 5 min.

Interference sucks, but I will work around it and figure something out.

I'll do what you mention next time I get the chance. But as I said, if its one of those Optic radio's, will there be a crystal for me to actually find?

Picture time.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:14 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PT, I was thinking the same thing. FWIW 13K=screamer? You really need to hang out with CP try 23K and going for more!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:20 AM

Ok guys, Be forewarned. THE REST OF THIS PAGE WILL LOAD SLOW.

I know the pics are big, but I am at work and dont have anythign to resize them with. I'll resize them once I get home tnight.

Glider pics. Notice the attempted flame job.

Mustang pics. Notice the lack of everything except grey and blue.

DNU. Notice pull-pull.. and crappy covering on wing.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:22 AM

Ya, I would love to get more out of these SS's.. Gotta take the time out to talk with some folks and really tune them in so they hit their max performance.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:52 AM

Sneasle,

The engine mounted to the glider was the tightest Cox engine I have ever had my hands on. So #1 give it some time to run in some more and see what it does, #2 I trimmed more off it's intake than I have on past engines( to make clearence to the firewall),right down to the square block at the needle valve. I would not think that would make a difference but maybe it did. I'll make one up this week and test it myself. Also what fuel are you using? It should be breaking 15,000rpm pretty easy between the trimmed piston and Galbreth head. Did you have a chance to tach the other engine?

The glider looks really nice, great job on the covering!

Later,
Tim
Old 07-11-2006, 10:15 AM

Great looking glider, but flaming is not allowed here, so remove the flame trim
Pyrefly- fun use of language

Maybe he should put some 1/16 hard stock behind the engine screws to shimm it off the firewall. Kinda like using a few washers between the engine & wall, if the intake is being restricted.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:32 AM

Im using pink omega 15%.

We only ran about 2-3oz through it while it was on the starting stand.

Actually, there is a 1/2"x 1/2" square hole in the firewall right behind the intake, so I doubt its that.

Pyrefly isn't really a play on words. It's my GF's handel that she uses with her artsie stuff. SHe drew the design and picked the colors for the glider. I just cut it out and ironed it on.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:00 AM

No no guys I am not worried about there being enough room behind the engine. I was wondering if I cut to much off the venturi and for some reason it's not digging it.

Later,
Tim
Old 07-11-2006, 11:43 AM

Ah.. ok.. Not really sure how to work around that though. My knowledge of these engines still remains very limited.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:48 AM

maybe a spot of silicone to tack a 1/2" straw onto the back to get the airflow zipping along again? See if that helps or hurts.
Try to use a straw the same size as the intake
Old 07-11-2006, 11:49 AM

[&o] doublepost
Old 07-11-2006, 12:21 PM

Ok, tha tmight be something If all else fails I have that spare backplate Tim sent me.

I guess just gotta wait until Tim finishes his experiment.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:17 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

If that glider has enough power to climb with an engine only turning 12,000, then the positive side to that situation is you will get longer runs. If you are getting a dark residue in the exhaust oil, then it is good to keep running the engine rich and slow, like you are doing. This is an iron and steel engine, they need a rich break in. As it begins to break in, the engine will want the NV opened up more, and the exhaust will be more clear, without any metal granules. Patricks' advice to check #41s' XTAL out to see if the freq # matches the channel is one I never thought of, but if I were you, I would do that first thing.

You're planes look great, you're doing the smart thing to just get the engines broke in and wait for a good RX to come in.

BTW, an 8x5 is too much prop for a .15, It'll be best to break that .15 in with a 7x4 or 7x5 in a slightly rich scream if it's either ABN or ABC. Most sport .15s should hit 16-17,000 easily, with a 7x4 or 7x5, and the break in period with most of them is over pretty guick, if done right. The mistake with ABC or ABN breakins is using too much prop and running too rich, it actually puts more stress on the lower end parts, because the piston spends too much time in the pinch at TDC, where things are very tight. A lot of racers will under prop an ABC engine during break in, to run it beyond the expected RPM zone that they will race at. It allows quick fitting of the piston to the pinch zone of the liner, and it also allows a richer setting [even at very high rpm] to ensure that lots of oil is present to float away all the metal granules that are getting sloughed off. It's a school of thought.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:34 PM

Interesting CP.

Its an OS la .15. The manual recommends just running it through a tank on the ground with the needle half a turn past the optimun setting (which is just slightly rich) and then actually puttign the engine in the air with the needle 20-30 degrees rich of the optimum setting and then gradualy leaning it out so by around the 5-6th tank its at its optimum setting.

The manual recommens an 8x4 prop for break in with the rest of the recommended props being 7x5 - 8x5.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:19 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I haven't seen a recent OS manual, but what they have told you to do shows how much confidence they have in their own product to perform. I think the 8x5 lugs the motor, the 8x3 and 8x4 give it tremendous thrust, and the 7x5 or 7x6 give it impressive speed. If you follow their advice, you can't go wrong. The whole LA series run excellent, replacing the FP series, which were also very strong runners for the dollar.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:58 PM

ok, looks like i might be ordering a few more props then.

What should I go with then, what the manual says, or what you recommend?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:20 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Before you go too much further, I'd put some screws in them servos!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:17 AM

they arent centered yet. I'll put the screws in as soon as I finish covering the plane.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:32 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Sneasle,

You got it right for the most part - here is some clarification. . . .

- on your engines I made dang sure to keep them as rich as possible (and still run), to help the break in.
This alone made the initial starting hard (which is not uncommon BTW).

- We (The RAMM guys) are used to engines turning at 10 to 13k RPM; but since the engines are bigger; we're not used to the higher pitch from the smaller ones

- your tach's were lower because of the engines being rich; once broken in, we'll lean them up (a little at a time) and get even more RPM's

- your OS 15 was hard to start for a couple of reasons:
1 - as noted above keeping it rich
2 - your high speed and low speed needle valves were fully closed
- I used/guessed the stock setting of 3 turns out from closed
3 - for a new engine it was nice and tight (my high torque starter had issues w/ it)
4 - the balance of the time was working the settings to get a good start
5 - after that 1st tank, we all agreed its ready to fly

- the glider engine was mostly getting the needle valve set correctly
(again turned all the way shut)
- and then the non-standard glow plug made for some lost time
- yeah, the starter did mess up your firewall (my fault)
- but, we did get it too start!

- we'll have to talk to the guy about the Ch 41, that shouldn't happen

Finally, we all (the club wanted really to see the Mustang and glider fly) - hopefully that will happen soon.

-Jim

PS: as for everyone's problems - well that was atypical
Old 07-12-2006, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the clarifications
Old 07-12-2006, 11:01 AM

I like everything Jim said, & give extra credit for the 5min Epoxy use

Sure they hear 10-13k engines all the time, its when you fire up the SureStart to 20k they will start putting in earplugs
Old 07-12-2006, 12:11 PM

Oh ya, gotta love the 5 min.