Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Ultrafly Furious

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultrafly Furious

Here are my observations of this plane:

1 Takes too long to build. (I hate gluing CF to wings)
2 flys like a cheap 3-D, not precise. (taped control surfaces-never again)
3 Does not Knife Edge at all. (NONE-NO-NADA)
4 Waste of money and time. (IF you already 3-D dont bother, get a quality plane)

Spend the extra $20 and get an E-flite Somenzini Yak 54, its the best Foamy for the money-I dont know what I was thinking, mabey it was the lure of two wings.

Seriously-this plane is fine for the sunday flyer but it is not a serious 3-D plane.

Just my $.02, dot get too excited if this is your plane of choice, it just isnt mine.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:59 AM

Default RE: Ultrafly Furious

Ooof I hate to do this but I disagree with nearly everything except maybe the building thing you mentioned above. Either way I've never minded building a Ikarus shockflyer and the Furious took me about half the time of a shockflyer to complete. Now I'm going to do as you asked and not get excited as I agree everybody has their own criteria as to what they want from a foamy but IMHO for the price...no scrap that...the Furious is awesome period. You complained that it flies like a cheap 3D?? But it is a cheap 3D? That's exactly what it is supposed to do? Or did I miss something they promised on the box? If that's the case then very well they messed up on that one. I don't have a problem flying precise with mine but you have to constantly remember that it's a small foamy and take it for what it is.

Now you comment about the E-flite QQ Yak I agree with as I fly one of those now too and they are amazing but I love my Furious equally. Maybe it's just because I took extra care to make sure I build my Furious light? Who knows? I left the gear off and skipped on most of the decals as the scheme didn't quite please my eyes. Anyways i'll try and make some video to show you how much I love this thing. Mine will do it all with ease and it's the best at knife edge from all the bipe foamies I've built. I've had a Tensor and a E-flite Ultimate and they both had some wacky tendencies in the knife edge this one doesn't have. If the weather is nice over the weekend i'll have mine strut it's stuff a little for the camera to share.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:47 PM

Cant wait to see it. Mine wouldnt KE to save its life, but my YAK-54 would KE hands off "Almost" LOL. I am going away from foam and am building the HL Extra 330- its an all balsa Profile. Its the fastes building plane I have ever built. Its a flyers plane. I'll post a thread after I fly it. So far its the best little electric that I have built.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:39 PM

The HL Extra 330 EP is all I said it would be. See the new thread.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:25 AM

Hey Barry thanks for the headsup on the Extra thread, i'll check it out! Anyhow here's the little clip of the Furious as promised. I am no QQ so excuse the lack of flair. I tried to cover as much of the flying envelope as possible though. One thing I couldn't really nail was the elevator. This bipe does the cutest little elevators and all you need to do is kill the motor and hang on the elevator. She floats right down but the wind caught me off guard and I didn't position the manuver well. Anyways I did quite a few knife edge loops and such and as you can see it does roll out a little on the last 1/4 of the loop but it's very managable just like most good foamies out there.

[link=http://www.spacey.rchomepage.com/images/Furious.WMV]FURIOUS VIDEO[/link]
Old 02-07-2006, 03:54 PM

Spacey

Your's flys way better than mine did, yours also looks alot lighter than mine. Did you use the landing gear? I never got mine fully trimmed out before it met its demise but it would do all kinds of funky stuff in KE, did you use CF to reinforce the rudder and elevator?

You got me, I have to say yours flys way better than mine did. You did something right.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:43 AM

Hi Barry,

Yes I've given it alot of thought and well as we both know it could be a combination of things that makes the world of difference to this model. Maybe it is just because I managed to get mine nice and light? See I was initially a little worried about weight that's advertised on the box of the plane as I wanted to use my trusty old E-flite Park 370 with one of the many Kokam 2S 910's I have. I only have on 3S pack and that's already being used by my QQ yak so I wanted to get it light enough to have enough power on only 2S. Now we sure managed that as this little thing has bags of power. Nearly too much really.

I didn't put the landing gear on no. I didn't even put the little plastic bracket thing on for them. I didn't put any CF reinforcing on other what's supplied with the kit. I also left well 80% of the decals that came on the sheet off. That rainbow colour thing didn't do anything for me and well I was ok with it initially but the red and white as it came out of the box I thought looked way better. I also used rather light GWS pico servos at 6.2grams each. I made some carbon pushrods out of ol shockflyer pushrods for the tail feathers. And well finally I guess another thing that'll make a huge difference on any bipe is CG. Not only fore and aft but vertical and lateral as well. They're very sensitive to those things as we all know and it affects the knife quite dramatically.

Anyways I definitely don't expect you to ever give another one a go as I know if I was in your position I would definitely have not. I just wanted to prove that it is indeed capable of everything in the book and mine does it extremely well! Amazing little biplane indeed!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:26 AM

Lighter is always better!