Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 How Can You Tell the difference? >

How Can You Tell the difference?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

How Can You Tell the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Can You Tell the difference?

Servos All seem the same. (standard , BB, dgtl. etc.)
The firewall seems OK.
Expo. rates I never set right.
And I Just can not get my planes set up to fly like a plane on a Simulator.
Please give me advice on what to do.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:13 PM
My Feedback: (57)

Default RE: How Can You Tell the difference?

Seems to me, the simulator is supposed to fly like the real planes, not the other way around.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:37 PM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Sounds like you need to do a search on how to properly set up an airplane. I read online and in magazines all the time how a reveiw airplane " Only took a couple clicks to be in perfect trim ". When I read those things I come to the conclusion real quik the guy making the statement hasn't a clue.

To answer your question you need to tune your airplane. Set incedence angles, CG, thrust line, control deflections and expo and mixing. An airplane on your simulatior flys well because the software has most of this figured out already.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:10 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Servos, firewall, and simulator should not really affect your planes flight, unless your servos are terribly under sized.
Expo may be a factor depending on how reactive your plane is. If it reacts a lot with little input you need to add more expo. For 3D I use a lot of expo on my rudder.

Can you give some details of how your plane flies or fails to fly? Or what problems you are having in flight? Also, what plane are you flying? What simulator are you using and what plane on the sim are you flying?

It looks like you have own a few 3D planes, is there a maneuver you are struggling with? Hovering perhaps?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As speedracerntrixie mentioned above, there are many factors involved in the way a particular plane handles. Each and every item has an effect and after changing these various items over time one begins to get a feel for what each does and how they interact with each other. To illustrate, some years back, I spent some time trying to learn to hover and after another pilot that had a plane like mine tried to hover my particular model he commented on how slow my servos seemed. He suggested a chang to a much faster servo and that gave me a more connected or locked in feeling and I immediately noticed a difference in my ability to hover. I could at least hold it for a short time where before I would lose it in seconds. At that time I had been flying RC over forty years but on that day I learned how important it is to have someone assist you that is proficient at whatever you are trying to learn. Of course the preceding is just MHO.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:25 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Get on the pattern forum and read a bit on how to trim a new plane. F'rinstance, to check CG, fly a wings-level 45 upline. If the bird stays put on the upline without any elevator input, roll 180 and fly the upline inverted. If it takes little/no elevator to hold the upline, CG is good. If it takes down elevator (push), CG is too far forward. Opposite is true if CG is too far aft. That's just to fine-tune CG on a good-flying plane.

Trying to get the plane to fly 'like a sim' is backwards. Get a good-flying plane, and make the sim match it. Most sim planes don't match any real-world birds. They fly too easy, but that's what sells sims.

I'm amazed at the sport flyers who say they can 'feel' the difference between digital servos and analog. I can't tell the difference (using servos of similar speed) other than I can feel the difference in my wallet!