Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
3D-Profile engine mounts >

3D-Profile engine mounts

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

3D-Profile engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D-Profile engine mounts

Been flying a 20cc gas motor for a while, and going to try 3-D.

Just a question regards engine mounts on profile models. Without being "brand" specific can they all use
some beefing-up in the engine bay for a 20cc beam mount engine?

Never seen one close up and from photos can't really see how the mount is constructed.

thanks from Oz.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:37 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Are we talking about an ARF, or stick built? Stick builts I've seen are pretty sturdy. The 67" OMP Fusion I had for a while was pretty sturdy in that area, but had issues in other places. The Chinese ARF design that you see everywhere (like this one: http://www.sdshobby.com/new-65in-sba...or-p-5360.html ) sold under about 6 different brand names, could use some help. As I understand it, the hardwood doesn't extend back far enough.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:15 AM

Yes the Chinese ARF is what I would have been looking at.
Flew C/L profiles 40 yrs ago (Good-year and rat.) and can understand your description of the hardwood not extending back. Haven't been flying gas models long, but I can see the air-frame gets a bit of a work-out. Some of the Chinese light-weight "full- bodied" ARFs even look a bit fragile in the engine bays (converted electrics?). Maybe best stick with scratch build, even if it ends up a bit heavier.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:23 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you looking for full on 3D work, or an all out sport plane?

If you're thinking full on 3D, it's pretty much that Chinese ARF or build it yourself. 'brotherhood may be of some guidance there.

Great Planes has a pretty sturdy (foam core wings and stab) 70" Revolver that makes an awesome 20cc sport plane! Check out the "Larger Revolver" string here in the ARF section. Quite a following, many of the guys are on their second and 3rd planes.

The Chinese full bodied planes you might fly on 20cc's build up and fly great, nice and light, but if you so much as drag a wingtip they're toast, and no parts are available as a rule. Doesn't make a lot of difference what you pay for them in my experience.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:25 PM

All out sport over "full-on" 3-D I would think.
Checked out the "Larger Revolver" string, some excellent pics showing an under cart conversion show clearly the engine mount area. Looks sturdy alright.
Maybe a bit oldskool but the engine mounting is the main point of a model to me. Haven't had so much fun as flying gassers in a long time, and specially like 20cc size models.

Now if I can just get some O/T to pay postage...........

Last edited by lean-run; 06-15-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:50 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I would support it as much as possible. triangular stock etc. My engine fell out of my Redwing Sbach profile on the second flight.