Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Inverted flight >

Inverted flight

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Inverted flight

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inverted flight

Can inverted flight be performed by using up elevator to do a half of loop and then leveling off when it's upside down or does it have to be done by rolling till it's upside down I seem to have trouble with the rolling technique
Old 08-01-2020, 06:23 PM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

So much depends on the airplane and how it is set up. No airplane flight will trim both inverted and right side up, even my pattern airplane requires a little forward stick while inverted. If I had more details about your particular airplane I may be able to give you a few tips on adjustments that can make inverted flight easier.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:46 PM

Default Thank you

Since I originally posted this message the original message I found out that inverter foot can be accomplished by rolling into it as well as looping it to it. But I have another question what about outside loop is that different from a punt or a bunch or whatever it's called or does it have to be performed by going inverted and then giving it forward elevator stick and going around a full loop that way and then correcting the attitude of the airplane by going up right instead of inverted.I guess what I'm asking is a punt considered an outside loop or does an outside blue have to be started from the bottom in the inverted mode? I've done a punto a long time ago but outside loop from the bottom inverted and going around that way sounds like a really hard thing to do and I don't know if I want to try it at this stage of my progress. I've done a very small amount of inverted flight just a couple times but I've crashed a lot lately and I don't want to push the envelope of my abilities too much
Maybemaybe I should cool it for a while because I know if I keep thinking about it I wanted to try it prematurely

Last edited by obrien135; 08-01-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:33 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

These questions are much like the old question regarding a fly walking on the ceiling. There are many that would like to know if a fly does a half loop, or a half roll prior to landing upside down?

For me anyway, it makes little difference in the grand scheme off things. I doubt seriously if anyone is going to think less of the fly for accomplishing this upside down landing either way!
The following users liked this post:
daveopam (08-04-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 04:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Might depend on what model you are using. I remember a high wing parkflyer that was a bit reluctant to roll. I could keep it inverted for a while by doing a half loop to get it upside down.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:01 AM

Default Yes that's it

Yes mine too was high wing park flyer it's a sport Cub s 2. I have difficulty doing rolls and I can't seem to get into the inverted mode unless a loop into it.I was thinking about trying an outer loop as opposed to a bunt by going inverted and then doing the loop and then roll out of the inverted state but it sounds very complicated and I'm reluctant to bite off more than I can chew what is your opinion about that anybody thank you very much
Old 08-02-2020, 06:05 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

It would be much easier with a different airplane. You are trying to drive a nail with a pair of pliers.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:10 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Sometimes to go inverted I make a turn . When the wing is at a high bank put in some down elevator and roll the wing on over and you will be inverted.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:47 PM

Default I tried it

I tried doing a outside loop by flipping over backwards into the inverted State and then giving it falls down elevator but it wouldn't do a loop it just stayed level but inverted so I went with that and trade steering around with the rotor successfully but then I stood to lose control and I panicked so I hit the button to switch to go into the safe mode and instead of leveling off it went to a upside down dive and smashed on the ground but it didn't break up but the motor got damaged but I was able to fix it was just in gear got shifted so iaI flew itdit again at the plaza in the lights tonight .I'm just going to do easy does it flying from now on his every time I try to do hard stunts a crash it and now I don't want to smash you anymore just casual easy going flying
Old 08-14-2020, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of trouble with the rolling technique are you having?? What mode is the plane in when you are trying to roll it for inverted flight??
Old 08-14-2020, 05:22 PM

It's in the advanced mode and it seems to go into a dive towards the ground when it's inverters even though I give you a full down elevator but now the plan is smashed to bits and I'm not flying anymore I don't think I'll get another one
Old 08-14-2020, 05:40 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

To answer the original question, I can't think of an airplane that is capable of doing a loop, where that technique wouldn't work. In other words - yes. But if it is a park flier, it might not be capable of sustained inverted flight.

However, obrien135, one of your posts has the word "rotor". You aren't talking about a helicopter, are you? Did you mean "rudder" instead?

With a helicopter, like my Blade 230S, it will not loop or roll while in SAFE mode, because the roll and pitch angles are electronically limited. I don't fly my Blade in SAFE mode anymore, but I haven't gotten the nerve yet to try a loop, flip or roll with it, even though I do fly 3D with airplanes.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:11 PM

You are correct I meant to say rudder instead of rotor the speech recognition didn't pick that up and I didn't catch it when I reviewed it. I am able to do a backflip into an inverted state but I wasn't able to roll into an inverted state in fact trying to do that is what destroyed the airplane I don't currently have a working airplane and I'm probably not going to get another one
Old 08-15-2020, 05:43 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by obrien135
You are correct I meant to say rudder instead of rotor the speech recognition didn't pick that up and I didn't catch it when I reviewed it. I am able to do a backflip into an inverted state but I wasn't able to roll into an inverted state in fact trying to do that is what destroyed the airplane I don't currently have a working airplane and I'm probably not going to get another one
I hope you don't give up on the hobby, because of that. 35+ years ago, when I started, I crashed the first few planes I built, either on the very first flight, or soon thereafter. Being a full scale pilot back then made me really want to fly models too, so I didn't let that discourage me. Here I am now, in my mid 50's, still building and flying models.

It's an extremely fun hobby. Expensive, yes. But very fun and rewarding.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:49 AM

Thank you very much I appreciate your advice my situation is probably a little bit different from yours but I'll take your words into consideration thank you very much