Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
opinions on Morris Balsa Nova >

opinions on Morris Balsa Nova

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

opinions on Morris Balsa Nova

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 02:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default opinions on Morris Balsa Nova

I'm thinking the Balsa Nova 1.20 may be my next project. Good platform for a small gasser me thinks.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:34 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Small Gasser

The MVVS gasser 1.6 would be a good engine choice for this plane. Also available from Morris Hobbies. Several muffler options available including a pipe.
EXCAP232
Old 08-31-2002, 08:10 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Default opinions on Morris Balsa Nova

Between four of us local fliers we've had somewhere in area of at least ten 120 sized and three 40 sized BALSA NOVA's
When MORRIS owned the company we had absolutely NO PROBLEMS, when it was bought out we started having a few problems. Bad materials,missing parts and the latest was a real wreck. When you say "DIECRUNCHED" you have the right words..... This new one looks as though the blades have more then seen their day. We have in the past always been able to push the parts out of their sheeting and this new one has to be cut out with a blade. I didn't purchase this one but I'd sure send it back...

Now as far as flying performance,, you can't beat it. it's an excellant flyer that makes the pilot look far better then he really is. It's smooth, easy to take off and extemely easy to land. It will do most maneuvers with ease and knife edges out of site 3 feet off the ground.
It's intimidating to look in the box before you begin construction, but once you get into it it comes together exceptionally well. The ailerons are it's worst part, they are one piece and I've never seen them come in the kit and be NOT WARPED. They should have been "BUILT UP" instead of one piece.(they are a small baseball bat.)
We took one and put flaps on it and didn't have a noticeably difference in landing, (it would be tough to beat this aircraft on landings.)
If the one we just ordered is an example of what is to come it's a travesty. This used to be a very excellent kit with top notch materials.. I hope this isn't the end of a GREAT plane.

RON
Old 09-01-2002, 01:14 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Default My opinion

I built a BN 40 over the winter and modified it to do more 3D. I had a MDS 68 up front and with careful building I was able to keep it under 5.5 Lbs. What a great plane it was. The only thing mine did poorly was snap rolls. The building, kit style was pretty hard. But I was rewarded with a great plane. Still wish I had it.
Old 09-01-2002, 05:30 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Default Old NIB BalsaNova 120..

If anybody wants an older NIB BalsaNova 120, PM me..I have one I will let go at quite a bit off the price from Morris. Party on!
Old 09-21-2003, 07:31 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Old NIB BalsaNova 120..

Anyone have any Blasa Nova 120 Pictures? Let's See Them!
Old 09-21-2003, 10:57 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Default RE: opinions on Morris Balsa Nova

This is mine it is a 40 size but I am having a blast flying it If it was a 120 size I would be in hog haven.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66753.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	62872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61112.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	62873  
Old 09-22-2003, 12:42 AM

Its the best flying plane ive ever owed, 40 size that is, ive got a new in box 120 im getting ready to put together. Im comparing this to the U-can-do, Funtana 40 and Spectrum pattern planes. the Balsa Nova easily out flies these planes in every way especially on Knif edge and Knife edge loops.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:03 AM

not much of a 3d'er and perhaps a bit on the heavy side, but a great aerobatic model, with superb rudder authority and knife edge.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:07 AM

I had the 40 for a while but I have to say I was a little disappointed with it. It was the ARF and whilst it flew pattern style aeros very nicely it didn't do 3d very well. Also with a piped Rossi 53 and a 120oz servo on the rudder it wouldn't knife edge loop! This probably had something to do with the fact it was 6.5lbs!

But, if you're building the 120 from a kit and you can keep it light it should be good. If you're well into your 3d then I'd suggest modifying the sufaces to make them bevelled and MUCH bigger! Good luck......

Andy
Old 09-22-2003, 10:39 AM

See Avatar for picture of my 120

I have both the small Balsa Nova and the large one. They are both great flying planes and my favorite planes to fly. Naturally the large one flies better than the small one. For a high performance plane it is very forgiving and lands better than anything I have. Dead sticks are easy because it maintains good control at almost any speed. This plane never does any thing ugly or surprising even with extreme abuse of the sticks.
There are no foam or plastic parts in the construction. It is built up and completely sheeted with 3/32 balsa. The fuselage is a continues structure from the tail to the spinner. The cowl is built up but then glued to the fuselage. I didn't like that because it's a nuisance for engine installation so I made the cowl a bolt on unit. I use a Super Tigre 2300 (1.4) and it's a tight fit. With the Moki 1.6 I think the fiber glass cowl available as an extra may be a must. The Moki motor mount could be a problem also. Unless it's small in the back it might cause you to have to drop the thrust line a little.
The canopy and turtle deck are an integral part of the structure of the fuselage. As a matter of fact a curved lamented beam runs from the front of the canopy to the to the tail across the top. They did this, I'm sure, because the plane is a mid wing and the part of fuselage under the wing is cut out from the fuselage and glued to the wing. I'm sure the beam is to get the lost strength back and provide a good load path.
The wing has no main spar through the center section. The too panels are built and butt glued together. I didn't like this but went with it because the amount of redesign necessary to change it. I did glass the top and bottom with 2 layers of 4 once cloth and have had no problems even with extreme maneuvers and about 150 flights.
The gear installation is too weak. When you look at the plans you'll see what I mean. I added a piece of 5/32 ply running from the first bulkhead to the firewall and both sides, on top of the built up fuselage bottom plate and gear mount. I didn't like that the first and second bulkheads (front of wing/ back of wing) were only 3/32 balsa so I doubled both of them with 3/32 ply.
The horizontal and vertical and the control surfaces are all built up except the ailerons. They are huge pieces of construction lumber. I was going to throw them away and build up the ailerons but instead I cut 13, 1 7/8 inch holes in each one with a hole saw.
The wing is mounted with 4 bolts. The kit came with 4 nylon 3 1/2 inch bolts. They weren't quite long enough for the front. Only about 3 threads of engagement so I used 4 inch stove bolts in front.
The hardware that came with the kit is so so. I used some and some I didn't. The kit doesn't come with pull- pull for the rudder but recommends it. It's a must.
I considered replacing all the 3/32 sheeting with 1/16 to get the weight down but didn't do it because of the risk of getting a wavy sheeting job. I made liberal use of sandpaper and came out at 10lbs. 10oz. with 2 ounces of lead in the tail. I've heard reports of this thing at 12 to 12.5 lbs. Maybe I just do a lot more sanding.
The ST2300 will pull this thing out of a hover and reach flight control speed going straight up, but not like a rocket. The Moki should make rocket launch out of it. The ground clearance provides plenty of room for big props.
If you get one I'm sure you'll love it
Old 11-13-2003, 11:23 PM

Default RE: Morris BalsaNova 40 size instructions

Regarding the 40 size Morris BalsaNova;
I'm in need of an instruction book for building the kit,
if you still have yours, I'd like to buy it.
It's for a friend who is stumped over the pieces in the kit for building the fuselage.
I'd assume this forum would have many w/ instructions for it,
and this is my first inquiry anywhere.
I hope this isn't inappropriate,
thanks,
David Goostree
[email protected]
Old 11-14-2003, 03:52 AM
My Feedback: (6)

I too have a NIB balsa nova 120 I will part with for $125 including shipping. Email me at [email protected] Jeff Williams
Old 11-14-2003, 11:49 AM

Not inappropriate David. I'll check to see if I still have it and then scan it and email it. Also perhaps Morris Hobbies has it on the net.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:36 AM

I have read through this thread and would like to reopen it.

I am researching the BN 120 and would like to know what new modifications current builders/flyers are making to this plane.

How is the quality of the kit? Wood?

Has anyone made the wing two piece?

Has anyone tried an MDS 148 or 210 on this plane?

Thanks in advance for your responce,
FlyinBlind
Old 05-14-2004, 05:25 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Morris Hobbies will be offering the Balsa Nova 1.20 in a ARF version soon. I've seen the prototype and one of the early Arf versions. It still has a 1 pc wing. I recently traded my Balsa Nova to Morris Hobbies for a big gas engine. The kit is builders kit, lot of sticks. I'm not sure if the new builder kits are laser cut or not. It builds up very light. Mine weighed just over 11 bls with a GMS 1.20, ready to fly. Not bad for a 80" model! This could be a super kit if it had provisions for a 2-pc wing. For 3-d stuff it needs slightly larger control surfaces and double bevels on them too. The ailerons are heavy, and should be of built up construction and increased in area about 20%. The plane has kinda long moments for 3-D flying, but I thought mine was very agile for its size. Don't bother with the wooden cowl, get one from Stan's and save yourself a lot of work. I had a custom landing gear made by TNT. Hope this helps.
Z
Old 05-15-2004, 11:21 AM

Here's what I did for a 2 piece wing, landing gear mount and after market cowl!
Ray

Name:	Nl28728.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	132547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62769.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	132548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47914.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	132549  
Old 05-15-2004, 09:22 PM

Where did you get that cowling? Is is an exact fit or close to it?

Thanks,
FB
Old 05-16-2004, 11:07 AM

The fiberglass cowl is a perfect fit - made for the BN 120. Stan's Fibertech in Calif. was where I got it. It's been a long time ago, but htey may still be making them.
Ray
Old 05-17-2004, 09:37 PM

Hi Guys,

I just received my BalsaNova 120 by FedEx today. Of course, I ripped open the box to have a look at my next project.

I was surprized that the kit comes with wheels and a tank and a bag of hardware.

Looking over the planes and insturctions quickly, I think it would be fairly easy to incorporate the wing tubes into the construction by not cutting away the bellypan. That is my early idea anyway. Looks easy to do, we'll see once I get into it.

BTW, this kit is laser cut with parts in bundles. Instruction need to be updated, but it's no big deal. And yes, this is a builders kit, MY KINDA KIT!!

I can see right away I'll be using some blue foam for molding some items. As a matter of fact the whole fuselage could be done in foam rather quickly.

Just some early thoughts, I'll keep you posted.

FlyinBlind
Old 12-02-2004, 07:45 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Old NIB BalsaNova 120..

Freedom Flier,,,

Here's a fiew of my Nova 40 size, I still havent built my 120 yet.

Name:	Nl30337.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	198754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83314.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	198755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw56978.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	198756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47980.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	198757  
Old 12-03-2004, 02:53 AM

Nice looking plane. Have you flown it yet? If so, how does if fly?

I got sidetracked building mine. I have the fuselage just about done, tail is done, but haven't started on the wing.

I did order different landing gear for it, and will be fabricating a fiberglass cowl for it.

Also installing a remote glow driver.

FlyinBlind
Old 12-03-2004, 10:40 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Flyin blind,

She flies wonderful.

To be honest with you she is my hanger queen..

I have had her built for over two years and only have about 12 flights on her.

But she is going flying tomorrow (saturday) if I can shake this cold.

We are expecting a low of 40-45 and a high tomorrow of about 70.

Darn, this is why we live in Arizona!! No snow to shovel and we can feel our fingers after 10-20 minutes of flying (of course after 10:00 am when it heats up enough to take the gloves off and fly)

If you look real close to the top of the fuze (behind the "Cockpit") you will see where I mounted my remote glow. It would have been nuts trying to unlock the glow from an engine mounted 45degrees down towards the ground. Nope, not for me.

I also used Robart Fuelers in lieu of fuel dots, as I thought they looked cool. And it does something to the look of the plane.

To add to the look of the plane, I gave a friend of mine a piece of the monocoat and the aluminum gear and spinner and he had them anodized for me. I dont worry about burning off the anodizing when starting her.

The only change I made was to change from a single screw to a double screw mount for the wings.

Good luck in your build, and let us all know how she flies when you finish her.....
Old 03-24-2005, 02:27 PM
My Feedback: (1)

FlyinBlind
Super Contributor

Status: offline I have read through this thread and would like to reopen it.

I am researching the BN 120 and would like to know what new modifications current builders/flyers are making to this plane.

I have the new arf, but made some modifications to it after talking to Morris and several people here in R/C universe.
Here are the Modifications:

Elevator
I build a new elevator and stab using the plans. I moved the hinge line 1" forward from where it is indicated on the plans and added another 1" to the trailing edge of the elevator. I modified the Rudder relief angles of the elevator to achieve a full 45 degrees of deflection to each side. I also added double beveled edges at the hinge line

Rudder:
I added 1 1/2" to the trailing edge. I also added double beveled edges at the hinge line

I made no changes to the wing or ailerons.

When discussing this plane with (Robert?) at Morris Hobbies, We talked about using this plane as a sport flyer and a entry level 3-D Aerobatics plane. I chose a Saito 1.50 with an 18-5 Zinger Pro Prop 15% - 18% Wild Cat 2-4 stroke fuel

The plane is not quite finished yet, so I am not sure how it flys yet, but I'll keep you posted
Old 03-24-2005, 05:23 PM

Hey B_L,

My Balsa Nova 120 is about half way completted. The fuselage is just about done. I am using a Magnum 120 four stroke, as this plane will also be a sport flyer.The motor is mounted inverted using the stock muffler.

I really like the way this plane has gone together. The parts fit is great, and the quality of the wood is super.

I have been working on other planes, so put to the BN in the corner, but will be working on it again shortly.

I too added to the rudder and elevator. I did change out the stock two piece landing gear for a one piece set from TTP which are nylon filled.

I know my planes would go together allot faster if I would just build them the way they are designed instead of changing them. It is enevitable that when you change one thing, it effects other things also.

Good luck with your BN, it's a great plane. Post some pictures when you get done, as well as a flight report.

Looking forward to them.
FlyinBlind