Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
PLEASE post some Pull-Pull Elevator Pics >

PLEASE post some Pull-Pull Elevator Pics

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

PLEASE post some Pull-Pull Elevator Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 02:15 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE post some Pull-Pull Elevator Pics

Could someone please post some pics of Elevator pull-pull set up,the elevator connection and the servo connections,PLEASE!I want to do this on my Creek Katana and am not sure how.I've done lots of rudders but never Elevator.Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-22-2002, 04:17 AM
My Feedback: (3)

http://www.********.net/pages/pugsley/dpedge3.jpg
http://www.********.net/pages/pugsley/dpedge5.jpg
http://www.********.net/pages/pugsley/dpedge6.jpg
http://www.********.net/pages/pugsley/dpedge7.jpg
Old 08-22-2002, 12:12 PM
My Feedback: (54)

Default Pull Pull Elevator

Thank you mecam.
I was planning this setup for the AW Edge 60/90.

Some questions though...

1) Are the 2 servos for each elevator half or can you use one servo for both elevators ?

2) Can you lay the servo on it's side coz unless the servo sits dead center, one wire will be longer than the other one.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:46 PM

Default Knife PP

ll
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	22485_2779.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	14088  
Old 08-22-2002, 01:48 PM

Default 2

Name:	22487_2779.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	14089  
Old 08-22-2002, 01:48 PM

Default 3

Name:	22488_2779.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	14090  
Old 08-22-2002, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Pull Pull Elevator

Originally posted by jatt5abdaa
Thank you mecam.
I was planning this setup for the AW Edge 60/90.

Some questions though...

1) Are the 2 servos for each elevator half or can you use one servo for both elevators ?

2) Can you lay the servo on it's side coz unless the servo sits dead center, one wire will be longer than the other one.

Thanks.

1) You can use either 1 or 2 servos. Get the highest torque if you are only using one.

2) Servo does not have to be dead center. You adjust the wire length accordingly. Also servo does not have to be on it's sides. I would use some kind of antenna tube at the exit hole of the fuselage to make the wire run smooth.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:14 AM

Mecam,thanks for the pics,excellent.Is that DP Edge available yet?If not,when?
Mike
Old 08-23-2002, 03:13 AM
Nex

Cool topic. Im glad I get to see how you guys do the pull-pull thing.

Im building my third plane, a .46 size Giles 202 ( http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma0238.html ), and Im wondering how to set this up. The kit comes with instructions for using the standard metal control rod for the rudder and the same type of control rods for each elevator half. I was hoping for something more glamorous and a little lighter (i.e. pull-pull cables for the rudder and maybe the elevator, too.)

What kind of things does this require? I've seen how the servos attach to the cables and what not, but are there any special tools/techniques required? Is there a need for running conduit for the metal wire? Just how much stress can those little wires handle?

I've also heard of 4-40 systems and ??? 6-56 ??? systems or something like that. What is the difference between the two? (I don't really know what Im talking about on this one )

I understand the basics to how the rudder system works, but I don't fully understand how to use this method on a 2-piece elevator. Can you attach the cables running from both halves to the same servo? If so, is this wise/optimal?

I know I just spewed a bunch of questions and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Nex
Cool topic. Im glad I get to see how you guys do the pull-pull thing.

I've also heard of 4-40 systems and ??? 6-56 ??? systems or something like that. What is the difference between the two? (I don't really know what Im talking about on this one )

I understand the basics to how the rudder system works, but I don't fully understand how to use this method on a 2-piece elevator. Can you attach the cables running from both halves to the same servo? If so, is this wise/optimal?

I know I just spewed a bunch of questions and any help would be greatly appreciated.
A 2-56 pull-pull system would be fine for your .46. You use the 4-40 on 1/4 scale planes.

Depending on your servo direction, you put both top elevator half cable on one side of the servo and both bottom elevator half cable on the other side. I would use the Sullivan Pull Pull systems because they come with threaded clevises and it would be easier to adjust the tension of the cables. Also their cables are coated with silicon so if they rub on each other it won't generate interference.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by lv2rcav8
Mecam,thanks for the pics,excellent.Is that DP Edge available yet?If not,when?
Mike

I called DP and they said that Edge will be out in a month. And we all know that's more like 3 months.... I was going to buy this plane and put a ZDZ 50 on it, but Aeroworks is coming out with their 31% Arf at about the same time frame so I think I would go with the bigger plane instead.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:49 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: PLEASE post some Pull-Pull Elevator Pics

I cant access the pics of your pull pull elev setup. Could you PLEASE repost or email them to me?
Old 09-10-2003, 09:02 PM

Default RE: Pull Pull Elevator

jatt5abdaa,

You can use one servo for both elevator halves, I have done this on a few planes.
For it to work properly the servo MUST lay on it's side, and the servo arm needs to be centered in the fuselage.
Even if the servo (mounted upright) were centered in the fuse you could not get it to work properly. There would be a lot of slack in the cables when the elevators were deflected.
You also need to have the control horn/hinge alignment as close as possible.

Bill
Old 09-10-2003, 09:25 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Pull Pull Elevator

I am confused as to why the servos must be mounted in the center of the fuse? Center meaning from left to right? Or centered vertically?
When mounting servos for pull pull elev. is it critical that the center of the servo be level with the horizontal stab?

The reason I ask is because the stab is mounted quite high on the fuse. To keep the servos centered vertically with the stab they would have to be installed in the cockpit.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:10 PM

Default RE: PLEASE post some Pull-Pull Elevator Pics

I am confused as to why the servos must be mounted in the center of the fuse? Center meaning from left to right? Or centered vertically?
Yes, both side to side and vertically.
It's hard for me to explain here in this thread, but if you do some geometry, and trigonometry you can see how things get out of whack the further you move away from (center center).

Will it be a big problem? probably not. You can get away with it being off a fair bit in both directions and it still work Ok.

Technically if the servo had to be mounted way below (or above) the same plane as the stab, your servo arm needs to be perpendicular to an imaginary line between the servo output gear and the hinge line. In other words the servo arm would or should not be straight up and down. However for that to work out properly the control horns would have to be set at the same angle, not 90 degrees to the control surface. Not very practical given the horns available.

Believe it or not, the only way to setup pull pull "perfect" is to have the same center to center distance on both the servo arm and the control horn with the servo 90 degrees to the control surface (side to side and up and down)

Many people believe that you can use like a 3" servo arm to a 2" control horn setup, and the linkage still work out right. It will not..
It won't be off much, but do the math and you will see.[sm=wink.gif]

Regards,
Bill