Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
GP Cap 232 or G-202 (small ones) >

GP Cap 232 or G-202 (small ones)

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

GP Cap 232 or G-202 (small ones)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 04:57 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Cap 232 or G-202 (small ones)

I'm Christmas shopping. I'd like a small (kit) aerobat. Meaning 60 inches or less in span and less than 7 pounds. If powered at the top of the ranges which is most capable. What do you believe is an appropriate engine for each? Which 2 stroke and which 4 stroke? Most of my flying is aerobatic in nature. I do some 3D, but do not live for it. I love hard snaps and tumbles, but will not have a tail heavy and unpredictable plane to do it. I like to land at a snails pace sometimes, and hate a wobbly approach to do so. Good knife edge is a must, and loops from knife edge are preferred. I like "on a wire tracking" upright and inverted. At this time I'm stuck. A Cap with O.S. 50sx (or Saito 72)? Maybe a G-202 with a 91fx (or Saito 100)? Anybody got input to help? Actuall experience with both?

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:49 PM
My Feedback: (13)

The Giles is a great flying plane. I've only had 5 flights on it, but I'm getting very comfortable with it. I added more throw than the recommended to the rudder and down elevator. It will do very nice inverted flat spins. I'm flying on an old style OS 90 FS, so with an OS 91 FX it would be awesome.

Here's a thread with a picture of my Giles:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...959&forumid=31

There are plenty of threads on this plane. This one's from the Kit Building section:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...ighlight=giles]
Old 10-08-2002, 06:52 PM
My Feedback: (19)

I finished the Great Planes CAP 232 last winter. I flew it on a .61FX 2-stroke. For this CAP 232 I had been in search of a true flying acrobat that can fly with a degree of precision. I wanted uplines and downlines to be straight and I wanted it to fly the same inverted as upright. I wanted good vertical power.

I changed the thrustline of the engine. I added right thrust until it tracked great on the upline. Then I added down thrust until there was no elevator trim change between upright and inverted flight. I switched props around until I found the best for my setup and I cut more cowl away on the underside. The .61 was getting hot.

When I was done I had a very true flying plane in a small package. The power to weight ratio and the wing loading was not there for true 3D style or fun-fly type flight. And although it is a little eager to snap with too much elevator, it was fun to fly. My all up weight on this plane was close to six and a half pounds.

I liked the plane, but sold it whole to another local pilot about a month ago. Making room for next winters projects.

Pictures and notes are at http://www.devino.org/mark/airplanepics/cap232.htm
Old 10-08-2002, 07:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I had read most of that a while back (the two posts in the first response). Is the Cap not a 6 pound plane? That is one major reason why I was considering it. The Giles looks like a 6.5 to 7 pounder, and the Cap looked like a 5.5 to 6 pounder. Is this not the case? My first feeling was that the Giles was better suited to my flying style (or lack there of). (Probably with the 91fx or Saito 100.) This is good input!
Old 10-08-2002, 08:18 PM

I tried to keep my CAP light, but it still came out at 6 lbs 7oz. That's fine though, because most of the extra weight comes from using an engine over spec. It's hanging on the nose and the thing was tailheavy anyway.

Although my .61 was a good engine choice, good combo for the GP CAP could be the Saito .72. You'd probably want to power it with heli fuel to get the most out of it. The Saito engines love the heli fuel. It flows through fast, lubricates and cools like crazy and puts out great power.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:06 AM
My Feedback: (2)

In my opinion, the GP .46 size G202 is a far better plane than their little Cap. I've owned owned the Cap and flown a friends G202. The G202 flies like a much larger plane than it is. It reminds me of something more along the lines of 27% bird.

The Cap....mine anyway seemed to hunt for straight and level flight all the time. I could never relax when flying it.

Both planes are very capable of all the aerobatic manuvers, but the G202 is smoother. I don't care for it's apperence much, but it sure flies nice!

Wiz
Old 10-10-2002, 01:23 PM

The Cap....mine anyway seemed to hunt for straight and level flight all the time. I could never relax when flying it.

Not my CAP. I got it flying as straight and precise as a bigger plane. But there were things about it that had me liking my other planes more.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	29780_4831.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	18765  
Old 10-10-2002, 03:02 PM

The Cap wasn't a bad plane, but the G202 just seemed to be much nicer.

BTW, I used a Saito .80 in mine and while it worked pretty well I think I'd have been happier with the .91.

Mike Cross flew his G202 with a YS.91 in it. If I were going to build a glow powered version I think I use a Y.S. .91 too.

Since I've gone to electric for everything smaller than my 1/3 H9 Cap I'd probably power it with Hacker B50 series brushless motor and 20-24 cells.

Wiz
Old 10-10-2002, 06:28 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I had the cap and powered it with a 61fx also.I dont care much for strait and level but the flat spin was so slow you would have to see it to beleve it.it landed almost as slow as my sig se.6.5 lbs with two elev servos and two in the wing.the waterfalls were easy and tight.the cap is a 3d plane by nature so take that in to account.the 202 would be more of a pattern style but not 3d.beleve me once you get a nice 3d plane you will never go back.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:41 PM

While most people know the Cap is a pretty good 3D machine it is also well known that the G202 is better than most at 3D too. It wasn't so long ago that I read somewhere that Jason Schulman rated the G202 as one of his favorite planes for both 3D and precision flying.

Don't discount the G202's preformance. It may not be the newest airframe out there, but it's still a very good one!

Wiz
Old 10-11-2002, 01:08 PM
My Feedback: (5)

im sure that the 202 is a nice flyer but have you ever seen the 202 that Schlman is flying?the control surfaces are not scale. the great planes is a lot closer to scale than the fiberclassic.like i said im not putting down the 202, in fact i was thinking of trying one.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:07 AM

I own a GP CAP 202... It came weighing 6.1 lbs sporting a Saito .91. It's a great pattern plane, and likes 3d as well.... u MUST keep that plane as light as possible by changing your aluminium landing gear for a carbon fiber one, aluminium spinner, lighweight foam wheels, and such on....
u'll get a great aerobat. I'm comfortably flying the IMAC intermediate pattern. I'm about to give a try to the 2 stroke YS.80. It's as powerful as the OS .91 Fx and 100 grams lighter...!!!!!..... This is a great flying scale-sport plane.... u wouldn't regret to get one of'em.