Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Goldberg Extra and Sukhoi kits? >

Goldberg Extra and Sukhoi kits?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Goldberg Extra and Sukhoi kits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 09:28 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Extra and Sukhoi kits?

It may be early for thinking about a winter project, but I am. There are absolutely NO kits out there for an extra 300 in a 120 size, and the closest one I can find is the Goldberg mid wing model. I prefer the looks of the low wing extras, but there probably is no difference in the way they fly. So while I'm at that site, I can compare the extra to the Sukhoi, and now have a new problem. Do I really want the smaller of the two for my OS 1.08? People are putting 1.60's in the arf Sukhoi, as it is weighing in at more like 12 lbs. Could the kit be built at 10 lbs. or less? This is the magic number I need to stay under for the performance I seek out of this engine. Since the Extra is lighter, with 100 squares smaller wing, would it be 3D capable with some slight building mods? Is one hands down a better flying plane than the other? My hunch is that someone will tell me that the Sukhoi is better for 3D, and the Extra is more pattern-like in the way it flies, and has too high of a wing loading for good 3D. The Extra would be great with the 1.08, but the Sukhoi needs at least a 1.20 2 stroke. Can someone back me up on this theory?

I need to add that 3D flight capability is not the deciding factor on these two airplanes. I simply want the best performing, best handling, and nicest to fly plane of the two. Conventional aerobatics are not dead, and I still enjoy doing them regularly. I just want a more scale type of plane to do them with. I had the Ultimate bipe, and I loved it. It was a perfect match for the 1.08. Should I maybe consider another one of those over these two monoplanes? Thanks for the input.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:58 PM
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE: Goldberg Extra and Sukhoi kits?

You can build the Sukhoi way less than 12lbs... I built one from the kit myself and it takes a lot of mods to get the weight down. I was going to power mine with either a moki 1.80 or I was going to use one of the big cats. I may have a couple pics of it it my gallery. look at it close and you will see where I lightened it at.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:35 AM
My Feedback: (2)

My ARF Goldberg Sukhoi weighs 11.5 lbs with YS 140.

Frank
Old 09-25-2005, 08:46 AM

I have the extra but i am not finished with it yet.. I weighed it a while back after i finished covering it.I remembered it was suprisingly light I dont recall the weight but I caculated putting a YS-110 on it. If I remember right I estimated the weight complete in the 8.5 to 9lb area. but dont quote me as verbatum since it has been about a year since i worked on it.. Heck i bought the kit in 1991 and started building 2 years ago.. so im SLOW at kit building lately
Old 09-25-2005, 08:57 AM

my suhkoi weighed in at 9.5 with a ys 1.20. lots of lightening but great flyer.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:50 AM

Have you flown a Goldberg extra? I realize that posting this in the 3d forum might not be the best place, since it's probably not a 3D plane. Also, 3D guys generally always overpower their planes considerably, so it's hard to get flight reports with more common power loadings. Lanier makes a kit of the extra, but I believe it's too heavy for my engine. They also make a 1/4 scale laser 200 that would work, but I'm not sure of the quality of that particular kit.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:10 PM

yes, I flew one in the late 80s with a 91 OS 2 stroke.. very straight tracking plane. will do what you tell it.. lands like they say like a trainer. in fact the club i used to belong to used them as trainers,then when the people steped up they didnt have to buy another plane,, there was also a guy that used his with a YS 120 for IMAC practice. I havent flown one since i got into 3D.. I built mine just like the plans with no deviation. I dont plan on 3ding it. just straight arobatics. I have flown the suhkoi in the last year. It will hover but the ailerons are so small it wont stop torque rolling..
Old 09-25-2005, 09:34 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have the SU-31 and had the Extra both from Goldgerg. I think the Suhkio is the better plane. That being said with the engine you have the Extra is more the size you need. When I first started reading your post I was thinking ULT bipe. Of the three it's the best match for a 1.08. If you double the size of the ailerons and use two servos in the tail for the elevator. It should make descent 3D plane.

David
Old 09-25-2005, 10:10 PM

I have had the ultimate, and it was great. For some reason, though, I would lose orientation with it much more often than any other plane I ever flew. The plane was boxy, meaning the wings were short and the fuse was longer, making it hard to see sometimes. It was my favorite plane to date, but I want to stick with a monoplane, if I can. I like the looks of the extra, and I think it's sized right for my engine. I also think that it may be a little stronger and more durable than the Ultimate. If the Extra flies anything at all like a sig somethin extra, I will enjoy flying it immensely. That plane was a hoot, till it died in a hover due to a lean setting. The fact that the extra lands like a trainer doesn't scare me away. It's nice to have a plane to just go out and shoot landings with once in a while.