Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Su-Do-Khoi  Bigger Tank? >

Su-Do-Khoi Bigger Tank?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Su-Do-Khoi Bigger Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 03:39 PM
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Su-Do-Khoi Bigger Tank?

I posted this in the Profile forum too:

I just got the ARF Morris Su-Do-Khoi.

The tank is only 6oz. I'd like to have more fuel than that.

I'm flying at about 4500' elevation, so I don't know if my .46 is going to even hover it. If I can hover it with this motor--it's not going to be 1/2 throttle like you guys at sea level. Probably 3/4 throttle or more. Thats going to burn up a lot more fuel in a short time. I don't imagine 3 or 4 minute flights will be much fun. I might end up going to a bigger motor if it won't hover at this altitude, and thats going to need more fuel too.

Has anyone strapped a bigger fuel tank on the fuse--like some other profile designs?

Or, has anyone used the stock tank and ALSO strapped another tank on the fuse for a piggyback setup?

Anything to get about 10 or 12oz of fuel on this would help a lot. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Old 04-21-2006, 11:01 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Su-Do-Khoi Bigger Tank?

I fly my .46 sized profile planes -- I've had many of them -- with a OS .46 and a 4 ounce tank. All up airplane weight is typically under 4 pounds. And I'm below 1000 feet so the air is thicker. But anyway, I think you should try the 6 ounce tank before you add more weight. I typically get at least ten minutes. These types of planes are easy enough to land deadstick, so even if you run the tank dry it is not a catastrophe. You need to stop hovering down on the deck when the tank is on the last ounce of course. I always have mine on the outside so I can do a visual check. If you change to an 8 or 10 ounce tank, you will of course fill it up and it means that you will always be carrying a couple more ounces than you need to. I'm admittedly a weight freak, but I've learned that a 3.7 pound fun fly flies better than a 4 pound fun fly.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:52 PM
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I did fly one of these years ago for a friend. I did the maiden flight for him. It had an OS 46FX and the tank lasted about 4 minutes. He pulled back to go vertical, and it died about 40' off the deck. He panicked and pulled full elevator all the way to the dirt. It was a mess. I told him he should have waited for it to get a little airspeed and then hogged on the elevator when it was 5' off the deck. Too late for that though.

I'm just worried that I'll be using much higher throttle settings than most of you guys. That means I'll be burning more fuel.

I'll strap the stock tank on the side of the fuse and bench test it at full throttle with a timer. See what I get. If it's under 5 or 7 minutes, I'll step up to a 10oz tank.

This is gonna be a BLAST!! I can't wait to slap this thing together and tear some holes in the sky. [8D]

Old 04-22-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I flew a profile with a 46 engine and did not run full throttle most of the time. Hovering probably, but I didn't hover for more than a few consecutve minutes anyway. I put a ys 63 on on Top Cap. Great engine with grreat power, but heavy. Needed lead on the tail to balance it. Put a 46FX on it later and it was a dfference plane. Less power, but flew better--less weight.

The good thing with an external tank on a profile, you can see how much fuel you have when you hover close.