Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Engine for Funtana X50 >

Engine for Funtana X50

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Engine for Funtana X50

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine for Funtana X50

Hi guys, just found this thread

I recently bought an X50 around November.

Only flown it once so far, as I put a .46 two stroke in it to try, as thats all I had at the time going spare.
I thought I would rather try that to see if it would be powerful enough, and if so, leave it in place, otherwise sell it as I couldn't see myself needing it anymore, as I'm more into 4 strokes now.......

Anyway, it needed the 2500mah battery up next to the fuel tank, and 120g of lead on the firewall to get it to balance at only mid way between the marks ! [X(]
Maidened it using an APC 12.25 X 3.75.
(Tried it later - on an APC 13x4 W but it was too much, and kept stalling the engine at any more than tickover)
It flew ok on this motor, but was no where near enough power, - screaming at full throttle saw it go vertical very very slowly, and only just ! - so I never flew it since, until I could afford a new engine.

In December I bought the new powerplant for it, - a Thunder Tiger 91 Four Stroke
What a beast !
I had a hell of a job trying to get it squeezed in though - talk about a shoehorn job ! [X(]
A very tight fit indeed.
As this engine has a very wide crankcase, I had to cut a 90 sized engine mount in half to seperate the two bearers, and mount them apart seperately, after plugging the old holes in the firewall with epoxy, and epoxying a new ply sheet over it for good measure.
Then I had to make cut outs at certain points on the mount to allow the engine to sit as far back to the firewall as it would go.
With 1mm gap between the engine and firewall, the prop driver was still 5mm too far forward for the cowl to align from what the manual said - tuff that's the best it was going to get, and has since proved to have just got away with it, phew !

I've only run it up once in the garage upto now, and it seems very very powerful.
Just waiting on some good weather now to re-maiden it with the new engine and get it broken in.
It now needed the heavy 2500mah battery moving out of the tank bay, all the way back as far as it would go in the radio bay (next to the wing bolt holes) and also needed 60g of lead underneath the tail to get it to balance !

AUW with the .46 two stroke was 5 lbs 12 oz
AUW with the .91 four stroke is now 6 lbs 10 oz

Break-in prop of choice is an APC 13x4 W
Moving onto an APC 14X4 W after break-in

I already strengthened the U/C before I first flew it, as I got wind of that from another X50 thread

Can't wait to have a go now

Roll on the good weather, but as it's winter here in the UK, I may have to wait some time [&:]

Craig
Old 01-16-2007, 06:09 PM

Hmmmmm 2500Mah Battery pack under the fuel tank on mine, Super tiger 46, and 11X5 prop, no lead required and veritical all day long...could that have been an OS-FP there Craig...and GOD I hate to whittle!
Old 01-16-2007, 06:30 PM
My Feedback: (2)

9757 what is your all up weight?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:16 PM

I haven't actually weighed it, but I'd guess about 5lbs. give or take a few ounces. I'm using a Pitts style muffler on it, and it's a bit heavier than the stock muffler I believe (not in the habit of weighing mufflers!) but bottom line, I'm MOST impressed with the performance of this set up. Does every thing I want it to do flawlessly. Hope that helped!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:36 PM

Interesting. I was wondering because my 5-1/2 durastick will not hover less than fuel throttle on my 46 ax and a 11-6 prop. Certainly no pool out power. Good to hear you are getting good power to weight. I have about 2:1 thrust to weigh ratio. Around 13 pounds of thrust to about 6-1/2 all up plane weight.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:40 PM

Also, Chocks Away, i am wondering how bad the shakes are on the funtana with that 90 4 stroker. My 70 4 stroke that i once had on it shook like crazy. The sk 90 2 stroke i now have on it only shakes it at idle but above idle there are no shakes. I almost baught a saito 100 for this bird but was scared i would shake the plane apart. You tt 90 is a heavier engine than the saito. Maybe it obsorbs vibration better.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:53 AM

ANy way ended up plugging old mount holes with dowls had to epoxy another peice of ply behind the fire wall relocated the blind nuts to new peice of ply used original mounts cowl fitted perfect if i had put the ply in front cowl would not have fit
test flying tommorow weather permiting
sc 91 fs
apc 13x8 prop
nes-539 (all i could afford)
jr rs70 receiver & 1100mha battery sitting in rear bay might need to add a little weight to tail fly first thow
Old 01-17-2007, 08:42 AM

Motor for Funtana 50X.. LOL.. I am going to try the Power 32.. I am wondering what ya'lls weight on the airplane is .. Ready to fly of course.

LAter and thanks for the tips..
Old 01-17-2007, 08:55 AM

As in a .32 size stroker, it is hard to say how well that will fly

All up weight seems to range between 5.3 pounds and 6.5 pounds depending on the setup.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:54 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Cambo,
I think Powerlines is refering to a electric motor.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EFLM4032A

I don't think it will have sufficent power for the X50's intended use. This one would work better.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EFLM4060A

Phillip
Old 01-17-2007, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: 9757

Hmmmmm 2500Mah Battery pack under the fuel tank on mine, Super tiger 46, and 11X5 prop, no lead required and veritical all day long...could that have been an OS-FP there Craig...and GOD I hate to whittle!

It was a .46 with the equivilent power to an OS .46 AX, or an SC .46

Your Super Tiger .46 must be an exception rather than the rule then !

Makes me laugh, the X50's engine range is from a .32 upwards HA HA HA !
I can't see it doing anything on a .32 !!!!!

Cambo

Also, Chocks Away, i am wondering how bad the shakes are on the funtana with that 90 4 stroker. My 70 4 stroke that i once had on it shook like crazy. The sk 90 2 stroke i now have on it only shakes it at idle but above idle there are no shakes. I almost baught a saito 100 for this bird but was scared i would shake the plane apart. You tt 90 is a heavier engine than the saito. Maybe it obsorbs vibration better.
Yes the TT is considerably heavier than a Saito, tipping the scales at 742g and I think thats without the muffler as well !
I don't know about the vibration as yet, but you can bet your bottom dollar that most vibrations can be put down to an un-balanced prop, - even more so on a four stroke !
Did you / do you balance you props tip to tip, and at the hub ? - it can make the world of difference to vibration

mycool72

ANy way ended up plugging old mount holes with dowls had to epoxy another peice of ply behind the fire wall relocated the blind nuts to new peice of ply used original mounts cowl fitted perfect if i had put the ply in front cowl would not have fit
sc 91 fs
apc 13x8 prop
jr rs70 receiver & 1100mha battery sitting in rear bay might need to add a little weight to tail fly first tho
Well, you don't want to be using a 13x8, it'll make the X50 too fast, - it's not made for it, and you could get surface flutter which is not good.
You need a large, low pitch prop, and going by the engine you have, your best bet would be an APC 14x4 Wide, the same as I for my 91 FS
I put another piece of ply on the front of the firewall on mine, simply because if I tried putting it on the back, it would push the fuel tank into the area that the wing butts upto, so I wouldn't have the room to fit the wing on.
It's tight enough as it is trying to get foam around the tank at the front of it, and stop the tank protruding out into the wing seating area without adding anymore ply at the back of the firewall, but that may just be mine ?

powerlines

Motor for Funtana 50X.. LOL.. I am going to try the Power 32.. I am wondering what ya'lls weight on the airplane is .. Ready to fly of course.
Motor for the X50 - The Power 32 ?..............in a word...........err NO !
If you are going electric with the X50, the Power 60 is the motor for the job (it also says so on the X50's Box)
A 32 motor will be way way underpowered, you'll get no vertical power I'm certain

Jimmy Hoffa

I don't think it will have sufficent power for the X50's intended use. This one would work better.
Yup, thats the one you want [sm=thumbup.gif]

Old 01-17-2007, 05:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Cambo

I almost baught a saito 100 for this bird but was scared i would shake the plane apart.
I don't think a Saito 1.00 (or any Saito) would have an excessive amount of vibration unless something is not right (or broken). My Saito .82 had some vibration that was traced to a unbalanced Tru-Turn spinner. I used a Dremel with a grinding bit on the back side to correct the problem. I have considered upgrading the .82 on mine to a 1.00. It only weighs 20 oz, which is 3 oz more than a .82 and actually displaces 1.10 cubic inches.
Phillip
Old 01-17-2007, 05:04 PM

Head to Head with the OS and the Supertiger the only thing I've found that would beat the Supertiger is the YS or Nelson. Years ago I had a Miss Martha Funfly plane with a Super Tiger 45 in it, and went head to head with an OS 46 SF on the same plane. Yep. The Super Tiger blew it's doors off for about $100 less than the OS. Course that's an Italian Job vs. a Jap job...so go figure. As for a 32...I'd like to see it tried, it just might fly the thing but I doubt if performance would be much more than a sport plane. (Yeah I know the Super Tiger is Oriental now, same motor, must be feeding it Sushi cause it still hauls butt!)
Old 01-17-2007, 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Hoffa

Cambo,
I think Powerlines is refering to a electric motor.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EFLM4032A

Phillip
Oh, he is talking about the electric engine. [sm=thumbup.gif]
I believe the review of the x50 on rcu used a power 60 as you suggested
Old 01-17-2007, 06:09 PM

Head to Head with the OS and the Supertiger the only thing I've found that would beat the Supertiger is the YS or Nelson. Years ago I had a Miss Martha Funfly plane with a Super Tiger 45 in it, and went head to head with an OS 46 SF on the same plane. Yep. The Super Tiger blew it's doors off for about $100 less than the OS. Course that's an Italian Job vs. a Jap job...so go figure. As for a 32...I'd like to see it tried, it just might fly the thing but I doubt if performance would be much more than a sport plane. (Yeah I know the Super Tiger is Oriental now, same motor, must be feeding it Sushi cause it still hauls butt!)
I just recently purchased a st 40 and was surpiresed to see it will turn a 10-6 almost 13500. Just a bit less than my os 46 ax.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Chocks_Away

It was a .46 with the equivilent power to an OS .46 AX, or an SC .46

Your Super Tiger .46 must be an exception rather than the rule then !

Makes me laugh, the X50's engine range is from a .32 upwards HA HA HA !
I can't see it doing anything on a .32 !!!!!

Cambo

Yes the TT is considerably heavier than a Saito, tipping the scales at 742g and I think thats without the muffler as well !
I don't know about the vibration as yet, but you can bet your bottom dollar that most vibrations can be put down to an un-balanced prop, - even more so on a four stroke !
Did you / do you balance you props tip to tip, and at the hub ? - it can make the world of difference to vibration

mycool72

sc 91 fs
apc 13x8 prop
jr rs70 receiver & 1100mha battery sitting in rear bay might need to add a little weight to tail fly first tho
Well, you don't want to be using a 13x8, it'll make the X50 too fast, - it's not made for it, and you could get surface flutter which is not good.
You need a large, low pitch prop, and going by the engine you have, your best bet would be an APC 14x4 Wide, the same as I for my 91 FS
I put another piece of ply on the front of the firewall on mine, simply because if I tried putting it on the back, it would push the fuel tank into the area that the wing butts upto, so I wouldn't have the room to fit the wing on.
It's tight enough as it is trying to get foam around the tank at the front of it, and stop the tank protruding out into the wing seating area without adding anymore ply at the back of the firewall, but that may just be mine ?

powerlines

Motor for the X50 - The Power 32 ?..............in a word...........err NO !
If you are going electric with the X50, the Power 60 is the motor for the job (it also says so on the X50's Box)
A 32 motor will be way way underpowered, you'll get no vertical power I'm certain

Jimmy Hoffa

Yup, thats the one you want [sm=thumbup.gif]

Yep, i balance my props
Old 01-17-2007, 06:27 PM

Yep, i balance my props
Me too, but the vibration in mine was from the spinner.
Phillip
Old 01-17-2007, 06:32 PM

Mmm...

If it's that bad, you can buy those anti-vibration engine mounts that have rubber shock absorbers between the mount and fuz, and some also have them between the mount and the engine as well.
They are quite expensive I believe, but they are supposed to be pretty good.

Dubro make them - Like this one below
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68176.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	600314  
Old 01-17-2007, 06:46 PM

My plane went home in more pieces than it came to the field in the other day....wife left me her car and took the van I came in..........
Old 01-17-2007, 06:57 PM

I balance spinners also. My sk90 vibrates about 1/3 as much as my fl 70 4 stroke.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:10 PM

I balance spinners also. My sk90 vibrates about 1/3 as much as my fl 70 4 stroke.
I've never owned one, but I've always heard that OS 70's are smooth.
Phillip
Old 01-17-2007, 07:49 PM

It is the FL 70 though, not the FS. One of the worst engines i have ever used. Good power but horible idle and transition. I have no dought that the more expensive fs works much better.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:11 PM

Hello,
I got the funtana 50x a couple of weeks ago. My choice of power is the Evolution .61nt. Built it light, gws micro throttle and HS 225 mighty mini's for surfaces. Auw 5lb 5oz.
I think the Saito 82 is a good choice, but with the .61 set up, you save alot of money and performance is exceptional. I've been running this particular engine for little over a year in a venus 40, easy to tune and since break in has never died unless out of gas!! I set the plane up for 3D. I like running the wood props. Apc give better thrust, but for the low torque of 2 stroke the wood gives much better response for 3d stuff. Tried Pro Zinger 12x5, 13x5, & 14x4. 14x4 is good for hovering but not enough foward speed for knife edge (without SFG's). 13x5 best over all.
This combo hovers at less than half throttle. Pulls out aggresively from a solid hover. Best thing is airframe and engine under $300.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89591.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	600613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49930.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	600614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52550.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	600615  
Old 01-18-2007, 07:38 AM

OK.. Here is the reason for the 32 and yes it is the brushless.. I just jumped into this thread.. I had the tribute 36 and I put the 32 on it and it was a ROCKET!! WAY much power. It would hover at 1/3 stick and pull out like a darn foamy.. I had a 13x8 prop on it and got 15-20 flight time on a 4000 4S pack.. The all out weight was 4 1/2 lb.. If I can keep the tana light like the manual says 4-5.5 if it will come out at 5 I think it will be good.. I did get the 80amp ESC so in case I need to get the 46 or 60 I should have enough.. I did check and see if the bolt pattern is the same on the 46 as the 32.. All I have to do i unbolt and rebolt the 46 on there.. LOL.. If it were different I would have started with the 46.. I already had the 32 so I figured I would try it..

LATER and thanks for the tips..
Old 01-18-2007, 09:04 AM

if it will come out at 5 I think it will be good
powerlines,
I think your AUW calculation is going to be off by at least 1.5 lbs. Most fuel powered S40?X50's are comming in @ 6lbs. The 13 oz battery will be the culprit.
Phillip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.