Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 Why does the AMA have to grow? >

Why does the AMA have to grow?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Why does the AMA have to grow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:57 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why does the AMA have to grow?

ORIGINAL: dbcisco

In the bigger picture of the hobby, the AMA not only doesn't need to grow, it doesn't need to exist. The AMA is but a small part of a huge hobby and industry.

The FAA and FCC were not and are not influenced by the AMA. Both the FAA and FCC are not ''out to get'' anyone. All the frequencies are still in the proposed new FCC rules and the AMA didnt even get involved.
joebahl said it best, "If it does not need to exist, why did you get in the ppp and pay your dues sisco?"

Sorry tinner but IMO your thread is being taken over by sisco again. Lot's of negative comments, opinions rather than fact and no reference to back up statements. I'm with joebahl and outa here.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Banned

Ted, do you do anytihing besides make personal attacks?
I suggest you check with the FAA and FCC if you have doubts.
I'm not playing your stupid games either.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Banned

FCC part 95 revisons:
"FCC Docket WT-10-119

Sunday, August 01 2010 @ 02:35 PM EDT

According to the PRSG (a GMRS users group) complete publication of the NPRM in FCC Docket 10-119 will occur or about next Wednesday, August 4.

This will start the official 30 day period for formal public comment. Please, if you haven't gotten yours in yet, take the time to comment against the dangerous parts of their proposed changes.

UPDATE: the official comment period ends on September 3, 2010. "
Old 09-23-2010, 11:15 PM

Same old story sisco. You make the statements and rather than back them up you refer the poster to look them up, They ain't there bub! Another example is how did you become an economics expert on the hobby business. I refer to this statement:

There is no information to base a good answer on. I say it doesn't "need" to exist, nice to have around but the hobby as whole is flourishing without the AMA.

Could you please quote some statistics from a reliable source that would back up this statement?

Sorry tinner but I didn't get logged off before sisco answered my last post. Bye now!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Banned

Ted, I do something you apparently don't. I read the FAA, AMA and FCC documents and news. I suggest you do the same before calling people liars. You were just proven wrong about the FCC two posts ago. Not playing your games.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Banned

Quick search revealed this from an AMA EC meeing report in 2005:
"These days, the sale of hobby-related items is up yet AMA membership is down; data will show that the percentage of decline this time around is far greater than it ever was during the last dues increase."

Yup, I am just a liar who never backs up anything he says.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:38 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ted Boz

Same old story sisco. You make the statements and rather than back them up you refer the poster to look them up, They ain't there bub! Another example is how did you become an economics expert on the hobby business. I refer to this statement:

There is no information to base a good answer on. I say it doesn't ''need'' to exist, nice to have around but the hobby as whole is flourishing without the AMA.

Could you please quote some statistics from a reliable source that would back up this statement?

Sorry tinner but I didn't get logged off before sisco answered my last post. Bye now!
The question is: Why does the AMA have to grow? So far, I really have not seen anything db posted that is detrimental to this discussion. Actually, whether I agree with DB or not, I find his posts very good after I put some thought into what he is posting instead of the immediate slam against him. Why not give him opportunity like all posters. He does post good info. It is up to us to research his info thoroughly before we put the "smackdown" on him.

Heck, I even get info out of k-bob's posts [X(] j/k with k-bob here

It is real easy to do one of two things when you do not like what a poster post. You can block him, or just simply leave the discussion and none is worse for wear. If we are to discuss and learn we should welcome a variety of posts even though we may find fault with them.

I keep thinking about the "why" part of AMA needs to grow and the only thing I can really come up with in this day and age is the fact that growth is a part of all we do and orgs need to have continual growth or they become stale for lack of a better word. Men often get complacent if they start missing the vision and do not put pressure on themselves and this is prevelent (sp?) with orgs like AMA.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:53 AM

dbcisco,

This is a statement of FACT. You have argued "off topic" on two threads that I am PERSONALLY aware of that were shut down. I DO NOT wish to have this thread shut down, so I am asking you personally, AND POLITELY, to keep you posts about the subject...."Why does the AMA have to grow", or take your personal arguments somewhere else. When other posters start to single you out for this, it is time for YOU to quit.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:15 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I would be interested to see the membership statistics over the past 20 years. I'll wager that the membership losses over the past 20 years primarily come from 2 sources - deaths of older, dedicated members, and new members that joined for a couple years then simply lost interest. With the expansion of internet communication, many people, myself included, rediscovered a childhood dream and joining the AMA was a part of fulfilling that dream. For others, they probably found something in passing, tried it for a couple years, and it didn't appeal to them. They're content buying small electric planes and flying them in their backyards. For those of us looking for more, the AMA can be a home.

Look at the economy for the past few years. Major corporations aren't growing, they're consolidating, downsizing, rightsizing, etc. AMA probably needs to consider a similar strategy. Admittedly we still need newer members to replace old members and keep the hobby alive, but I think that's being handled at the local level. I would posit that rather than focusing on the needs of new members, the AMA would be best served by focusing on the needs of the current membership.

So my answer to the question, "why does the AMA need to grow?" is "It doesn't".

Brad
Old 09-24-2010, 08:15 AM

Excellent post. Sums it up well.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:16 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: tinner1

dbcisco,

This is a statement of FACT. You have argued ''off topic'' on two threads that I am PERSONALLY aware of that were shut down. I DO NOT wish to have this thread shut down, so I am asking you personally, AND POLITELY, to keep you posts about the subject....''Why does the AMA have to grow'', or take your personal arguments somewhere else. When other posters start to single you out for this, it is time for YOU to quit.
You don't have to yell.
When people make claims about "why the AMA needs to grow" that are demonstrably wrong" I point it out. That is not off-topic.
It was put forward here that without the AMA growth that the FAA and FCC "contact" would be lost. My posts demonstrated that the AMA does very little in that regard. The couple " other posters start to single you out " are the troublemakers not me.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol . joe
Old 09-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: joebahl

Lol . joe
I rest my case.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:45 AM

Tinner
Dont worry about Cisco.
Ted and Joe said they are outta here,
so that ends the need for Cisco to defend himself from their shots at him.
... smooth sailing from here on out
Old 09-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: bkdavy
I would be interested to see the membership statistics over the past 20 years. I'll wager that the membership losses over the past 20 years primarily come from 2 sources - deaths of older, dedicated members,
According to the AMA that is the number one loss of members. Members are getting too old to fly and sadly, many members are dying. Not sure what we can do about either of those problems.

Let us assume that there was a big boom in membership in the 60's/70's and the members were in their twenties (baby boomers). Let us now assume that there are still 50,000 of those members still active. They are in their 60's and 70's. The babyboom generation is dying off and there may not be enough new members to ever have that size membership again.
One of the realities may be that it is impossible to stop the decline in membership.
Flying planes that require a field is no where near as popular as it was years ago, there are far more other recreational activities to choose from and even with in the hobby itself there are far cheaper (and just as fun) alternatives to the part of the hobby that the AMA geared to.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:14 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dbcisco

ORIGINAL: bkdavy
I would be interested to see the membership statistics over the past 20 years. I'll wager that the membership losses over the past 20 years primarily come from 2 sources - deaths of older, dedicated members,
According to the AMA that is the number one loss of members. Members are getting too old to fly and sadly, many members are dying. Not sure what we can do about either of those problems.

Let us assume that there was a big boom in membership in the 60's/70's and the members were in their twenties (baby boomers). Let us now assume that there are still 50,000 of those members still active. They are in their 60's and 70's. The babyboom generation is dying off and there may not be enough new members to ever have that size membership again.
One of the realities may be that it is impossible to stop the decline in membership.
Flying planes that require a field is no where near as popular as it was years ago, there are far more other recreational activities to choose from and even with in the hobby itself there are far cheaper (and just as fun) alternatives to the part of the hobby that the AMA geared to.
I agree. From the clubs that I have seen in my area, the age groups at the clubs are predominately in the 65-80 group. You may find a very small few in the 30s, and some in the 40s-50s. I think when the bulk are the older, then we can assume it is a matter of years before those guys pass on and numbers decrease. One club used to have about 20-30 members and all but six have passed away now. I am thinking about joining those guys just so there will be a "youngblood" in the group, even though I am 56 next month
Old 09-24-2010, 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

[I agree. From the clubs that I have seen in my area, the age groups at the clubs are predominately in the 65-80 group. You may find a very small few in the 30s, and some in the 40s-50s. I think when the bulk are the older, then we can assume it is a matter of years before those guys pass on and numbers decrease. One club used to have about 20-30 members and all but six have passed away now. I am thinking about joining those guys just so there will be a "youngblood" in the group, even though I am 56 next month
Tell me about it. At our last workday they told me to ease up on the pace cause they weren't kids anymore like me.

I'm 54.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:48 PM

I was thinking about the angle of this threads topic.
Perhaps the subject could be phrased in a more direct manner
to get specific reasoning answers:

AMA 'needs' to grow? Why?
What at AMA "needs" to change, that only Growth can effect that change?
What is so bad at AMA that it "needs" to change, and only Growth can make that change happen?

Cause, if nothing is so bad at AMA that it needs to be changed by growth,
then we dont need growth to make that change happen.
right?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:13 PM

dbcisco,

I was not yelling. In fact I believe I was being VERY CIVIL, still am, and even asked you "PLEASE". You do have a tendency to post on what YOU think the topics of threads are. Here is just one example, on this thread alone:

dbcisco
The FAA and FCC were not and are not influenced by the AMA. Both the FAA and FCC are not "out to get" anyone. All the frequencies are still in the proposed new FCC rules and the AMA didn't even get involved.
This is your "opinion" in response to a post (of many) that brought up we need a voice in those areas and others, that you felt had to be "corrected". But you go off correcting everyone including me, and tell them what they are saying, and making statements like you say "I yelled at you". A proper response IMHO would have been "yes" we do need a voice or "no" we don't. I and others "lived through" the frequency allocation periods of history and feel your opinions are wrong, but whether the AMA has a voice or not in that area, IS NOT the topic of THIS thread. Whether we need a voice IS, but arguing about who is right about the history of how we got our frequencies ISN"T. It is something maybe you should start a thread to discuss, but PLEASE avoid doing it here.

So AGAIN I am asking YOU (and ALL OTHERS), PLEASE stay on topic. No one gets points for being right, arguing, or correcting someones opinion. There is no trophy for the highest score here.....
Old 09-24-2010, 01:18 PM

bkdavy ,
Great point about membership history. I myself tried to find that out yesterday, with no success. It would sure be helpful to see the trends the AMA membership went through compared to the economy during the same time period. If anyone knows where we can find those stats, please either post them or give me a location and I will look them up and report....Thanks

KidEpoxy

Some good "spins"on the thread topic. I like the different wording. It kind of better defines the question "Why the AMA has to grow".

Good Job!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

Tinner, I responded to an opinion with some real facts. Sorry that offends you. It is not off topic and you are yelling when you address someone personallybold face type. I'm not playing your game either. This is over. It is not "your" thread to control whose opinion is post worthy.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:36 PM

SORRY dbcisco, WRONG AGAIN, it is "my thread". RC Universe is not mine, but then again you won't see the difference.....Besides did you already forget telling me to "just go away" in a thread you started when you didn't like MY questions?!!!

I went back and counted and re-read all your posts, all 22 to be precise. In 21 of them you were "correcting" an opinion of another poster. In some of them you stayed on topic for a sentence or two, but then always went off topic to correct someone, as you will do with this post! Since I only posted 14 times and that includes my opening post, I'm asking....

"Are you the only one on RCU with the correct opinion on everything?!"
Old 09-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned

Glad you own RCU. If you want to censor anything you don't like try the "other" forum.
You are the worst offender here. You have dragged it off-topic by continuing to attack me for posting facts.
You are just supplying more ideas for answers for your own question,
Why does the AMA have to grow? To keep a completely AMA biased website and forum open.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:01 PM

dbcisco post #98

Glad you own RCU.
Tinner1 post #97

SORRY dbcisco, WRONG AGAIN, it is "my thread". RC Universe is not mine,
See red above.....I guess you can't read......

To all other posters, I'm sorry to waste your time with an individual that has his own agenda. Let's say the rest of us get back to the topic that WAS going pretty well. Lots of good ideas so far from most of you guys! Thanks....
Old 09-24-2010, 04:40 PM

tinner when did you take over at RCU if i knew i would have baked you a cake ................................... congrats !!!!

my response to some of the things i've seen on this thread weather some people like it or not the "outlaw parkflyers" are here they are part of OUR hobby and something to think real hard about is THEY are the future AMA'er if they stick with  it .....
i can see from here some of you are screaming at your computer screen but it is the truth .

instead of treating the guy flying the parkflyer like a second class citizen, why not introduce yourself spend a few moments you might even make a AMA'er out of him.

if the AMA does not grow it would become non economically viable and then they will disappear because any business/organization that can not support it's self can not continue and thats the sad truth .....................

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.