Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Good till 2023 ...... >

Good till 2023 ......

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Good till 2023 ......

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 01:57 PM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Good till 2023 ......

I just renewed my FAA UAS registration . My first one was good from 2015 till 2020 for $5 , this renewal is only good till 2023 for $5 , well we've gone from 5 years for $5 to 3 years for $5 , a small price increase but an increase just the same .
Old 06-19-2020, 02:30 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 373 Likes on 301 Posts

It was always 5 dollars for 3 years.

The original registrations got extended because of the court case over turned it, then they got it reinstated and anyone that didn't remove their registration after it got shot down temporarily got a free restart when it got reinstated.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
It was always 5 dollars for 3 years.

The original registrations got extended because of the court case over turned it, then they got it reinstated and anyone that didn't remove their registration after it got shot down temporarily got a free restart when it got reinstated.
Good to hear , I was thinking if it was $5 for 5 years , and then $5 for 3 years , when would it become $5 for 1 year , I'm happy to hear the price is the same , , , for now ...
Old 06-19-2020, 07:07 PM

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I registered early on when they refunded the fee. So the renewal will be the first time I have to pay. 8 years for $5. Good deal in anyone's book.

Last edited by FUTABA-RC; 06-20-2020 at 03:25 PM. Reason: thai-poh
Old 06-20-2020, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by FUTABA-RC
I registered early on when they refunded the fee. So the renewal will be the first time I have to pay. 8 years for $3. Good deal in anyone's book.
Myself also now that you mention it I do remember paying $5 and getting a $5 refund when I first registered . I registered within a few days of the opening of acceptance of the registration applications in 2015 and I did not cancel my registration during that whole lawsuit debacle , knowing full well that what the government wants , the government gets ....

And of course here we are all dutifully registered in 2020

Last edited by init4fun; 06-20-2020 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
Myself also now that you mention it I do remember paying $5 and getting a $5 refund when I first registered . I registered within a few days of the opening of acceptance of the registration applications in 2015 and I did not cancel my registration during that whole lawsuit debacle , knowing full well that what the government wants , the government gets ....

And of course here we are all dutifully registered in 2020
Yep. You remind me of AMA's chest thumping statements like this:

From "Hold Off Registering" (note 1) - "The Council is considering all legal and political remedies to address this issue. We believe that resolution to the unnecessary federal registration rule for our members rests with AMA’s petition before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. This petition, filed in August 2014, asks the court to review the FAA’s interpretation of the 'Special Rule for Model Aircraft.”

Note 1: https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...odel-aircraft/

And sure enough, the lawsuit went nowhere, AMA folded like a cheap suit, and just months later they told all members to register. AMA's first in a series of losses that proved they're nothing but a paper tiger when it comes to their dealings with the FAA.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:06 AM

I renewed a moment ago too. I can't help but notice the process requires the users to agree to the following to qualify for recreational exemption:

Register your drone
Fly only for recreational purposes
Follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization
Keep your drone within the visual line of sight or use a visual observer
Give way and do not interfere with any manned aircraft
Get prior authorization before operating in controlled airspace
Fly at or below 400’ in uncontrolled airspace
Comply with all airspace restrictions
Pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test

And then, just before payment you must specifically check next to the following statement:

"I understand that, in accordance with federal law, I can be fined or imprisoned if I obtain a certificate by knowingly and willfully falsifying or concealing a material fact, making a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement.

And that is how the Federal government sets up for an easy prosecution. Should be particularly concerning for anyone holding ATP or commercial instrument etc. that they need to earn income.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:37 AM

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I renewed a moment ago too. I can't help but notice the process requires the users to agree to the following to qualify for recreational exemption:

Register your drone
Fly only for recreational purposes
Follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization
Keep your drone within the visual line of sight or use a visual observer
Give way and do not interfere with any manned aircraft
Get prior authorization before operating in controlled airspace
Pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test

And then, just before payment you must specifically check next to the following statement:

"I understand that, in accordance with federal law, I can be fined or imprisoned if I obtain a certificate by knowingly and willfully falsifying or concealing a material fact, making a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement.

And that is how the Federal government sets up for an easy prosecution. Should be particularly concerning for anyone holding ATP or commercial instrument etc. that they need to earn income.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a different registration for commercial flying of R/C aircraft? Seems to me there was a way to be able to fly commercially
Old 06-23-2020, 05:34 AM

Sure, Part 107
Old 06-23-2020, 01:05 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if Speedracerntrixie will renew knowing full well he plans to break the 400’ rule?
Old 06-23-2020, 01:07 PM

The 400 foot limit isn't in effect everywhere.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:19 PM

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

He lives in the Portland area of Oregon so I bet it does there, considering Portland does have an international airport. I just don't have a sectional to actually find out
Old 06-23-2020, 02:21 PM

The 400 foot limit isn't in effect everywhere.
Originally Posted by franklin_m
UMMM.....
​​​​​​​Correct me if I am wrong, but unless you have a specific waiver from the FAA to fly over 400', there is no controlled OR uncontrolled airspace that allows for flights above 400'?
Old 06-23-2020, 02:47 PM

Not so much a specific flight waiver if that's what you mean.

Clubs can request an SRM panel to get airspace over 400 feet as part of their LOA with the local ATC. Several have been granted.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:33 PM

Clubs can request an SRM panel to get airspace over 400 feet as part of their LOA with the local ATC. Several have been granted.
Wow. No limits before 349. LAANC limited to 400 or less. And AMA is bragging about a handful of places where they asked for 500 and got it. BTW, what are there 300 or so clubs in controlled airspace? And AMA is bragging about "several?" And what about the THOUSANDS limited to 400 feet?
Old 06-23-2020, 04:54 PM

Any granted over the 500' needed for Speedracerntrixie and others to fly their sailplanes?

Several? Like, less than 5? And none over 500'? That extra 500' is not really significant enough to mention. Can you name one R/C discipline that can't operate in 400' that can in 500'? If not those exemptions are virtually pointless......
Old 06-24-2020, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by astrohog
Any granted over the 500' needed for Speedracerntrixie and others to fly their sailplanes?

Several? Like, less than 5? And none over 500'? That extra 500' is not really significant enough to mention. Can you name one R/C discipline that can't operate in 400' that can in 500'? If not those exemptions are virtually pointless......
And we know that if they were getting these requests granted in large numbers, they'd be singing from the rooftops ... with details. But there's very little discussion of them by AMA, and even fewer details - which leads me to believe it's a handful. And even then the altitudes aren't that significant.

Hardly what one expects from an organization with such enthusiastic rhetoric about its "influence," yet precious little tangible results. Certainly not in large numbers to be sure.