Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 Should AMA discontinue the Senior Citizen discount >

Should AMA discontinue the Senior Citizen discount

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Should AMA discontinue the Senior Citizen discount

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should AMA discontinue the Senior Citizen discount

Thts right Mike

If the AMA wants to codify the assumption that they crash less/fly less,
We would have
$48 Senior One Flight per Day Teir
$48 Senior One Weekend A Month Teir

or if they fly slower planes, maybe dont want to mess with a starter, cant lift heavy stuff, and dont want to walk out for FF
we could make a <2lb 60mph electric Senior Soaring System (SSS) for $56 <it has ma so it aint $30>

Let me see if I understand:
Those that are OLD get a Discount Tier
Those that are YOUNG get a Discount Tier
Those that fly Lil Leckys get a Discount tier
..... who's left?
are we looking at a Turbine Discount Tier and the popular 55#Waiver Discount Tier

____

This almost parallels the concept of nationaly raisingthe minimum wage because someplaces wantto have higher wages. Well, ok, if your state wants a higher wage, go ahead and raise your states wage. The AMA / RC equivelent of that is:

If your club wants to give a $10, $20, $50 discount of your club dues or FREE membership to seniors
Great, do what you want to do, it your club.
Local clubs frequently are in the position that they are charging WAY more than the $58 to Muncie
Old 08-08-2008, 11:05 AM

Keep the discount. I think a Senior discount is a small help for those on fixed incomes.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

When you consider that many, if not most clubs, are held together by Seniors, doing the maintenance, holding office, running events that the younger people, because of job/family requirements, don't have the time for, giving them a $10 break doesn't seem all that big a deal. I think most Seniors would welcome the chance to change places with any 30 year old and pay the extra $10.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:35 AM
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

I think most Seniors would welcome the chance to change places with any 30 year old and pay the extra $10.
When do we get started?
Old 08-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: woopie

I think most Seniors would welcome the chance to change places with any 30 year old and pay the extra $10.
When do we get started?
As soon as you can find a 30 year old that wants to trade good health for Hypertension, cardiac problems, diabetes, joint pains, kidney infections, cancer, tuberculosis, eye problems or what ever other ailment that may be limiting your activities. I'll even throw in a life membership for the trade.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:45 PM

its the same old game. raise the senior rates soall the national the figures indicate that the young folks have more money available to spend on trinkets, not piles of balsa vs ARF's. if rates need to be raised - do it across the board, not selectivly. only 84 years young and still scratch building to my plans NO ARF's. dick
Old 08-08-2008, 12:56 PM

Buddy, your a new guy here from the post count an you sure do ask a lot of strange questions.

Ama has all the $ they need right now, an probably more hide somewhere than a lot of us know about. Leave the old guys alone for petes sake.

Ron
Old 08-08-2008, 01:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: woopie

When do we get started?
As soon as you can find a 30 year old that wants to trade good health for Hypertension, cardiac problems, diabetes, joint pains, kidney infections, cancer, tuberculosis, eye problems or what ever other ailment that may be limiting your activities. I'll even throw in a life membership for the trade.
Hell, I'll even throw in some cash too.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-08-2008, 01:12 PM
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: The Toolman
Buddy, your a new guy here from the post count an you sure do ask a lot of strange questions.
Ama has all the $ they need right now, an probably more hide somewhere than a lot of us know about. Leave the old guys alone for petes sake.
Ron
Really? Where do they keep it?
Old 08-08-2008, 01:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Ron
Obviously, they don't send it to the club that wants to fly in Central Park.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-08-2008, 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Ron
Obviously, they don't send it to the club that wants to fly in Central Park.

Bill, AMA 4720
Right, instead they used that money for the PPP program which disgusts you ... that's worth more than 2 fields in Central Park.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:56 PM

Red
When you consider that many, if not most clubs, are held together by Seniors, doing the maintenance, holding office, running events that the younger people, because of job/family requirements, don't have the time for, giving them a $10 break doesn't seem all that big a deal
Are you suggesting that ALL club officers / maintainers get the discount, to exclude Seniors that dont do so?
Cause I'm all for sending Jugflier a $10 Muncie Check for doing the local club work you want to reward.

If you guys want to place qualifiers on what the seniors do to deserve a break
then apply those qualifiers to all members that meet them.

Dont Crash? Dont Fly Often?
Officer / Maintainer?
I keep seeing folks saying general qualifictions deserving of a discount, that the program doesnt address.
If you guys want to change the AMA to make those requirements for the Senior discount, I'm willing to listen more to your proposal.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Red
When you consider that many, if not most clubs, are held together by Seniors, doing the maintenance, holding office, running events that the younger people, because of job/family requirements, don't have the time for, giving them a $10 break doesn't seem all that big a deal
Are you suggesting that ALL club officers / maintainers get the discount, to exclude Seniors that dont do so?
Cause I'm all for sending Jugflier a $10 Muncie Check for doing the local club work you want to reward.

If you guys want to place qualifiers on what the seniors do to deserve a break
then apply those qualifiers to all members that meet them.

Dont Crash? Dont Fly Often?
Officer / Maintainer?
I keep seeing folks saying general qualifictions deserving of a discount, that the program doesnt address.
If you guys want to change the AMA to make those requirements for the Senior discount, I'm willing to listen more to your proposal.
I am not suggesting anything, only offering my opinion of giving Sr's a $10 reduction in dues. If you have a problem with that then work it into your campaign to correct the ills of the AMA.

If you have $10 you want to send to Jugflier, nothing is stopping you.

The qualifier for the $10 break in AMA dues is being age 65 buy July 1st of the membership year. Nothing else to confuse anyone.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:21 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Let's dump the magazine and keep the Senior discount!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 73 and think the AMA needs to do some thinking about the senior discount. I think seniors are making up a growing proportion of AMA membership. It is one thing to have a discount for a small minority, but another to have it for a large percentage, maybe a majority.

I usually CD a contest and thus my dues are $24 a year, which irks me. I think CD's ought to get either a full discount, as a small honorarium for the service we perform, or we should do it out of our love for the AMA, model aviation, and our fellow modelers, and thus no need of an honorarium. CD's used to get a free membership for CD'ing one or more contests. Apparently a couple of folks had held fake contests to get the free ride. The AMA considered the matter and decided to smear all CD's as crooks and slackers. Of course some thought this was not a good idea, so a compromise was reached so we would only be half smeared.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:14 PM

Red

Oh, my mistake.
I thought you meant it when you were saying your justifications for giving the seniors a break.
I didnt know that you actually are in mind with Muncie on it:
A discount without justification for seniors... just for getting old.

Not for flight safety, not for flight frequency, not for doing work at the clubs... but just for not dieing yet.
Not even for years in the ama... any rookie ama freshman can get the discount if they are just old.

. . .

Jim-
Your CD discount makes sense.
Why get a discount? For the specific work & service you are providing for your fellow members.
A logical, justified dicount.
The Free/Half deal I dont know too much about, but I could see Free if there was enough oversight to keep it legit. But I'm not here to get too deep into the CD discount, so I'm done talking about that.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:07 PM

The AMA is potentially free for everyone ... sign 3 fly free. Problem solved.

Next complaint please.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:34 AM

STL,
Sign 3 Opens get a free open is a simple plan,
unless $29 PPPs get involved
... then we get, well, divisive. But we had a thread on the PPP & the Sign 3, so we dont need to make stuff up from the hip, we can just go read that thread and see what research yeilded:

Only open members.

Kids, seniors and PPP's don't count.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:15 AM

STL,
... then we get, well, divisive. But we had a thread on the PPP & the Sign 3, so we dont need to make stuff up from the hip, we can just go read that thread and see what research yeilded:

Only open members.

Thanks for letting me know what I can and cannot say. I didn't mean to put positive light on the subject. But I would like to point out that you are hypocritical, is that on topic too? Do you realize just how much you bounce back and forth from subject to subject? Do you have any idea?

My point was there WAS A SOLUTION FOR ANYONE who wanted a discount rate, much like senior citizens. So instead of saying they should or should not get a break ... who cares, we all get a break. And I don't really care that you don't like that solution either. Once again the choice is YOURS to get it for free or to pay.

Next complaint.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:48 AM
My Feedback: (58)

STL,

Only open members.

Thanks for letting me know what I can and cannot say. I didn't mean to put positive light on the subject. But I would like to point out that you are hypocritical, is that on topic too? Do you realize just how much you bounce back and forth from subject to subject? Do you have any idea?

My point was there WAS A SOLUTION FOR ANYONE who wanted a discount rate, much like senior citizens. So instead of saying they should or should not get a break ... who cares, we all get a break. And I don't really care that you don't like that solution either. Once again the choice is YOURS to get it for free or to pay.

Next complaint.
Actually the Kid made a valid point...you on the other hand are merely being argumentative.

Next useless and argumentative post.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:59 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I think in his case the best offense is a good defense.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:57 PM

No STL,
your attempt at baiting me off topic with that non-specific hypocrate remark aint going to work.
We will stay on topic regardless of your cheap shot

The AMA dis**** that is only for getting old is still hard to justify,
other than just being nice guys that like giving discounts to some memers on the backs of others.

The CD discount is earned by activity.
And the $2 PPP discount is for the plane restriction & selling your vote.
(the $26 ParkieMag discount is for the MA Opt-Out)

The Sign # is not for everyone,
as that quote clearly demonstrated, the AMA has restricted it down from Everyone
Old 08-09-2008, 02:55 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Naw, just leave it alone. If there is a financial hardship because of the aging members, maybe down the road increase the minimum age a couple of years or so to compensate. Those already getting the discount would be grandfathered in, so to speak.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:16 PM

The AMA dis**** that is only for getting old is still hard to justify,
other than just being nice guys that like giving discounts to some memers on the backs of others.
Every single member that is not using ever benefit the AMA is offering is paying more than they have too. That's the point of an organziation .... that's why they invented them. I think they got the idea from taxation. Is this really the only membership org you guys have ever belonged too or are you guys the shining star of those other orgs too.

If you guys don't like it ... there is a simple solution to all your problems and it won't cost you a single dime!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I think in his case the best offense is a good defense.

I think in his his case the motivation has seen the light of day:

I didn't mean to put positive light on the subject.
Abel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.