Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Trainer ARF, do you know?? >

Trainer ARF, do you know??

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Trainer ARF, do you know??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 12:09 AM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trainer ARF, do you know??

I am going to get back into the air but I hate building[:@] What do you feel is the most complete (preferably all wood) .40 size ARF. I don't want the RTF's because I have a nice radio and engine therefore I don't need an RTF. I would like to find a plane that requires very little assembly aside from the radio and engine install. I had the Tiger Trainer a few years ago, but I didn't like having to install the control surfaces. I know I sound kinda picky, but I would rather be at the field than in the shop. Any suggestions???
Old 10-09-2003, 12:19 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Trainer ARF, do you know??

The only trainer I know of that comes with no engine or radio, and pre-hinged control surfaces and pre-installed control horns and rods is the Hanger 9 Easy 2 VRTF. It's the trainer I started with and it flies great! The only problem is they are no longer available... Hanger 9 has replaced it with the more expensive RTF with radio and engine Alpha, Xtra Easy 2, etc... You may be able to find one NIB...

If you don't mind a little assembly -- installing CA hinges is not hard -- then I would suggest a SIG Kadet LT-40.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:24 AM
My Feedback: (1)

If you are willing to assemble a quality ARF and want a BIG, BEAUTIFUL trainer, get yourself a SIG Kadet Senior. Goes together in about 8 hours and flies like a dream with a .60 size 2 stroke. I am teaching my 9 year old to land with it and it just floats in which makes it easy for him to fly.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:22 PM

CA hinges can be installed in minutes, so don't let that be part of your decision. Pick a trainer with a semi-symmetrical wing, like the Avistar or the Kangke Astro. They are not only better trainers but they also have some aerobatic ability that you will like after you get your thumbs back.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:49 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Some of the VMAR (not highly regarded) or the World Models planes come prehinged. Personally, I would not go with a Senior Kadet. I had one, it was my dream plane, and on about the 15th flight, the wings folded in mid air, and that was the end of it. $200 arf, down the drain.

A kid at our field (and myself) learned on a World Models Super Sports 40S. It is a low wing plane, is a little fast, but handles just as good as my trainer. It also comes prehinged and took about 5 hours total to get it airborne (mostly because of NOT having to hinge the thing)..

Cannot beat it either for $99. I am going to sell mine, got a Venture 60 calling my name..
Old 10-09-2003, 08:28 PM
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Covering...

There are many good all wood trainers on the market.

#1, Make sure it's covered with actual iron-on covering, not "shelf paper". You can't repair shelf-paper or remove wrinkles.

#2, Semi-Symmetrical wing, not "flat-bottom".

#3, Don't get anything with a cowl, not maintainence friendly.

#4, Get your own buddy-box, it speeds training and is easier in your instructor.

#5, Don't use a spinner, replace it with a "spinner-nut" from your LHS. Makes changing props much easier.

#6, Use Master Airsrew props (the black ones) they last longer.

#7, Learning to fly should be fun and not work, you don't want to have to work on your plane at the field so "KISS". Remember, a trainer is a tool and it's going to take a beating. You may go through more than one before you solo and after that... the crashes get more expensive.

Have fun.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:41 PM

I've been out of the r/c sport for several years and I bought a Goldberg Eagle 2. It went together well. It is pretty fast on landings. I put a Super Tigre .45 abc on it but a .40 would probably be plenty of motor. It is all wood and all of the control surfaces have been installed. I'm sure the hot landings are my fault I am really rusty!!! Several people really like the hobbico and sig trainers.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old Hobbico trainers covered in "shelf paper" had pre installed control surfaces. The newer planes (eg the Hobbistar MkIII) are covered in iron on film and have separate surfaces that have to be hinged.

My top pick for a basic trainer is the LT-40. It goes together quicker than other trainer ARF's I've had but this is made up for by Sig's peculiar quirk, the plane is plain white and you have to either apply all the decals or your own trim scheme.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:19 AM

If you look up the Hobbico trainers at Tower now, IE the superstar, avistar etc... they come in two flavors (both now the MKII) one with "covering" and one covered in monokote according to the description. Pay the $10 more for the monokote one and you'll be glad.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:23 PM
My Feedback: (7)

The World Model ARF's are the best. After you try them once, you will probably only be doing World Model from that point on. Their ARF's are RTF's without the radio and engine. I concur with that recommendation. However, I think the Sig Kadet is the "easiest" of all trainers that I have seen to fly. It is a true floater. Not sure why the wings would break unless you had a 1.20 on there and your were trying to do stunts...lol
Old 10-10-2003, 12:31 PM

Look it even comes with the rubber bands.....[X(]

Old 10-10-2003, 12:35 PM

$99 with iron-on covering (which I couldn't agree more with)

[link=http://www.theworldmodels.com/Superfrontire40.htm]Click Here[/link]
Old 10-10-2003, 07:48 PM
My Feedback: (21)

I had a OS 61 FX on the Kadet Senior. I was still training when it happend. Looks like the reinforcing area that the aluminum bar goes into just gave way.