Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Ultra Stick Lite >

Ultra Stick Lite

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Ultra Stick Lite

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 01:19 AM
My Feedback: (120)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Stick Lite

I just finished my Ultra Stick 120 Lite. I haven't flown it as yet as the weather has been very wet. Maybe next week. Here is what I did if anyone is interested.
1. Zenoah G26 - RC Ignition removed the mag and installed a battery ignition.
I removed the back plate and installed the engine with 3 8-32 bolts,
I also added a 3/8 inch firewall to the exosting firewall.
I added a Abel muffler
2. Servos - Futaba 3004 on airelons, flaps, and throdle,
Futaba 3010 on rudder and elevator - installed in the aft
3. Everything else - 14 oz. fuel tank.
Du Bro pull pull on rudde
Jersey Modeler fueling system
Tank under the wing
Battery and receiver under the wing
CG is at 4 1/4 inches from leading edge of the wing with no aditional weight added at
either end.
CB/Tatone rear wheel

Here is the best part - It comes in at 11 to 11 1/2 lbs.
I'll put in flight info if anyone is interested.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:44 AM

Truly a wonderful airplane, wheels, skis or floats, it handles them all well too! BRian at rcsupergear.com is in the midst of molding some GF gear for the US Lite. There will be a set that is 1" taller than stock if you are having prop clearance issues.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:29 AM
My Feedback: (7)

DesertPig posted an extensive thread about USL and G26 combo and the couple mods he made. I have started to assemble this combo myself.

(http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_22...tm.htm#2273356)
Old 01-12-2005, 12:14 PM
My Feedback: (61)

If done right you can get the USL to under 10 pounds with a G26. At that weigh you will have one of the most fun planes to fly you have ever had.

At 11 pounds it flies nice, but the difference is night and day. DO THE MODS!!

DP
Old 01-13-2005, 09:19 AM
My Feedback: (17)

DP, I posted this question in the other thread as well but thought I'd double up. My Ultra Stick Lite weighed 10lbs 4oz with a OS 160FX on it. I sold the engine a while back and went on to other planes for a while. These threads have sparked my interest in the Stick again. I have a new YS110FZ and was noticing the difference in weight between it and the 160 is 1lb 2oz. I'm thinking with the YS and some lighter tires and maybe a couple of other minor mods I could get this plane down to a flying weight, less fuel, of 9lbs even. Does that seem possible?!?!?! Also, does anyone have an opinion on whether or not the YS110 would handle this plane well at 9lbs? I'm thinking it would do very well but would welcome others opinions.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 05-02-2005, 08:43 AM
My Feedback: (1)

anyone tried a ZDZ 40?? A guy at my club flies one and it is awesome to sauy the least! What's more he is using standard servos. (44oz of torque).
Old 05-02-2005, 09:54 AM
My Feedback: (39)

Hey

All of you guys out there that are considering this plane with a gas engine give it a try. I built one with a 3W-24 on it and it is a blast to fly. The 3W engine hauls the plane around really good and it has unlimited vertical. Check out the thread that Desertpig started in the giant scale forum called ultra stick lite done right. It has lots of great information in it. If you use the mods that he describes in that thread you will have a great flying plane. I had to do extensive mods to my plane to fit the 3W on it and I also moved the servo's to the tail. This is a great flying plane with a small gasser on it. If you want to get into gas at minimal expense try one. While I love the 3W engine if I was doing it over again I would use one of Ralph's from RC Ignitions modified G-26's. This sounds like the perfect engine for this plane. My plane weights a little less than 11 lbs and I could make it lighter if I tried but it flies fine the way it is. My CG is set 5 inches back from the leading edge and this is where I think the plane flies the best for me. I have around 30 flights on it and will continue to fly it a couple of times a week until I get tired of it.

Chris

Have you flown your plane anymore yet. Did you get your engine running right. Try one of the Master Airscrew Classic 18x8 props on it and I bet you will be suprised at the difference. Let me know how it is going.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96597.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	265847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10007.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	265848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52820.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	265849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57447.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	265850  
Old 05-26-2005, 11:43 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Great thread! Thought I would revive it and ask a question. I have a NIB G26 ready for a plane, and I am leaning heavily towards the US-Light. The plane looks great (I like sticks anyway) and from what I've read fly's outa sight with the G26. What bothers me is the one peice wing.
Has anyone done a two-piece wing mod?
Also, Horizon online has the kit at $249. Anyplace have a better deal?

Alfred
Old 05-26-2005, 01:29 PM

Hey Guys,
I don't remember posting in this thread so here goes:
I have a USL with a ST G2300. It's my second airplane (have low time on a couple friends planes) and I maidened it Myself.. Required NO TRIM and will fly as slow or fast as you like. With CF landing gear (www.graphtechrc.com) and a CF Mezjlik 18X6 The plane flies AWESOME. It is under 9 lbs with this set-up and under 10 pounds all up. With recomendations From Jerry L. Smith I decided there was no sense in carrying 22 oz. of fuel. So we switched to a 12 oz. main and 2 oz. header tank. This not only lightens the plane up BUT it also keeps your engine from leaning out toward the end of the tank.

I went with the strip ail. and after stripping 3 S3004's off the Ailerons alone (NORMAL FLIGHT!) I went to S3305's on those like I have on the tailfeathers. The plane isa dream to fly. As a matter of fact I met a couple of guys out at the field the other day.. No wind so we were just playing around seeing how slow we could land.. The Ultra Stick landed tailfirst at a noticably slower speed than my friends TWIST and another friends 40 sized fun-fly.