Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Uproar OR Dazzler? >

Uproar OR Dazzler?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Uproar OR Dazzler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uproar OR Dazzler?

I have on OS .32 SX that is looking for a home. I am considering building a light verson of the Uproar or Dazzler, with light battery, servos, etc.

Does anyone have any info to share on either of those two planes? The Uproar is considerably cheaper and they have a $20 gift certificate offer on that plane at Tower right now. I'd go with the Dazzler though, if it were a much better plane. I'ts too bad that neither have real monocote covering, so that is not an issue between the two planes.

Thanks for any info!

Ernie
Old 10-09-2004, 09:51 PM

Default RE: Uproar OR Dazzler?

The Uproar may be slightly lighter. The Dazzler has a turtle deck. I have a TT .36 on my Uproar and I love it.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:10 PM

Strokin, that is good news. Tell me about your Uproar. Are you running standard servos, battery, etc? Do you think it came out around 4 pounds? How much vertical does it have with the 36 on it? I have an OS 32 and a Webra 35 that I could choose from to power it.

Was yours a kit or an arf? Do you have any tips for me?

Thanks!

Ernie
Old 10-09-2004, 11:31 PM
My Feedback: (11)

I've seen both models fly and they are kinda basically the same. I can't give you any stats though because I have never owned one. I'd say go with the one you got the discount coupon for.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:15 AM

The Dazzler's recommendation on how to glue the wing to the fuse is crap. If you get one, reinforce the joint with some blocks or it will come lose in flight.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:48 AM
My Feedback: (48)

I had a Dazzler ARF (sold it) I thought it was very heavy for it's size,& did not fly as nice as my friends Uproar, although his Uproar was kit/built---Maybe not a fair comparison---
Old 10-10-2004, 07:54 PM

Thanks guys! So far it looks like the Uproar for the OS 32, because of it's weight, price, and coupon......

Ernie
Old 10-10-2004, 10:51 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I have a kit built Uproar using this same engine. More than enough power and with the throws dialed way up the roll rate is sick. I am using Hitec HS225 servos for everything but the throttle.
Very fun plane. I built this kit specifically for the .32SX and I believe it is a perfect match.

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

I have on OS .32 SX that is looking for a home. I am considering building a light verson of the Uproar or Dazzler, with light battery, servos, etc.

Does anyone have any info to share on either of those two planes? The Uproar is considerably cheaper and they have a $20 gift certificate offer on that plane at Tower right now. I'd go with the Dazzler though, if it were a much better plane. I'ts too bad that neither have real monocote covering, so that is not an issue between the two planes.

Thanks for any info!

Ernie
Old 10-10-2004, 10:53 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Uproar and the dazzler are basicly the same plane. Tower contracted GP to build it. After a few months GP changed the turtle deck and alierons and sold it as the Dazzler as not to step on tower.

BTW I had a kit Uproar with a 91 saito with the servos in the tail and longer landing gear. It did very well in fun/flys. Although I wouldn't never do that to the ARF. I had a great builder build mine. It was like a feather floating in the breeze.

There isn't much difference in the flying of either. They do F/F stuff very well and you can get yourself out of trouble very quikly with both planes. Neither KE a all.
Kelly
Old 10-11-2004, 11:35 AM

Fubar, by "sick" roll rate, I think you mean it REALLY rolls!...., right? What battery pack did you go with using the .32, what'd you do to get it to balance right if anything, and how much did she weight, if you remember???

Interesting that the two are basically the same plane. The Uproar seems to come out lighter which would be good for the small engines.

Thanks guys!

Ernie
Old 10-11-2004, 04:14 PM

I mean you hear it go WAWAWAWAWAWA! as it rolls, the rate is so fast. You really want to cover it with VERY contrasting top and bottom colors on the wings. Flew it today (just had to after posting about it last night) and had a real blast with it. I swapped out the 10/5 APC for a 10/4 APC I had and got closer to hovering it. Really needs more rudder.
I would have to open up the hatch and check but I am pretty sure I used a standard sized (600mAh?) rx battery. I have no idea what it weighs as I dont have a scale. Also dont remember where I stuck that battery.
If I were to build another one (I surely will if I destroy it beyond repair) I would mount the engine on a slant or sideways so that the muffler was under the fuse. Top of the wing and tail group gets REAL slimey. Picture here. The underside of the wing and stab is black Ultracote. Pretty easy to tell top from bottom during those insane rolls.

Fubar, by "sick" roll rate, I think you mean it REALLY rolls!...., right? What battery pack did you go with using the .32, what'd you do to get it to balance right if anything, and how much did she weight, if you remember???

Interesting that the two are basically the same plane. The Uproar seems to come out lighter which would be good for the small engines.

Thanks guys!

Ernie
Old 10-12-2004, 01:45 AM

That's a NICE color scheme Dan! Is the yellow design Ultracote, paint, or? Far out!

If you do build another one, you could lighten it up a tad with a 720mah AAA nimh pack.

Have you flown it off of a grass runway? We have one here, and I am wondering how the little wheels handle grass.

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 10-12-2004, 06:10 AM
WCB

The covering material on the Dazzler is sticky back shelf paper junk. It is pretty but that's as far as it goes. It flies ok. I didn't like the way the wing attaches to the fuse. The fuse is very weak in front of the leading edge and will break on a hard landing and is near impossible to fix. I wouldn't recommend this plane.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:17 PM

Thanks!
The Yellow is Monocote. Was a PITA to cut out, for me at least. Used a cheapo compass for the half circles and some stiff paper for the templates. Cut two pieces of monocote, taped them together face in and cut em using single edged razorblades on a sheet of glass.
I have never flown from grass but the Uproar has no trouble with soft dirt and rocks.
I have to check into using nimh packs to save weight!
When I take off, its at full throttle and its in the air so fast it really doesnt matter what the "runway" is made of.

That's a NICE color scheme Dan! Is the yellow design Ultracote, paint, or? Far out!

If you do build another one, you could lighten it up a tad with a 720mah AAA nimh pack.

Have you flown it off of a grass runway? We have one here, and I am wondering how the little wheels handle grass.

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 10-13-2004, 03:07 PM

Good deal Fubar, taking off quickly. I'll just learn to land it on grass.

Go to Radical RC Battery Packs and look at the 720mah AAA packs. They are amazing for their weight in small planes.

Ernie