Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Question about onboard glow driver? >

Question about onboard glow driver?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Question about onboard glow driver?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 05:49 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about onboard glow driver?

Thinking about using an onboard glow driver for my new plane, Model Tech P47. I think I know how they work but can someone please explain it. Is there an advantage using them on 4 strokes vs. 2. I'm installing a Mag 120RFS on my '47. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:57 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Question about onboard glow driver?

Its just extra weight if you dont need it. Its another battery to maintain also. A 4 stroke generally dosnt need an onboard glow, they are very reliable. If the engine is mounted inverted then one may be necessary, but not usually. I was contemplating putting one in my new plane, GP CAP 580 with an OS .70 but opted not to. I just didn't like the idea of having to maintain another battery, also weight was a factor for me.

Sean
Old 02-11-2005, 06:47 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question about onboard glow driver?

I use one on my Cub with a Saito .56 I needed nose weight anyway, so why not? I really like heading out to the flying line with nothing more than a chickenstick and my radio. It does allow you to run a lower idle also, and no chance of "loading up". It's extra weight, but if you need lead in the model anyway, why not?

Mine is set up with a switch actuated from the throttle rod. You also need to incorporate a master switch, and charge port of some sort.

I set it up using these instructions:

http://www.geocities.com/cubmanky/on...w/onboard.html