Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Hobbico  Twin Star >

Hobbico Twin Star

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hobbico Twin Star

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 09:55 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico Twin Star

Has anyone bought and flown the Twin Star I saw one at the hobby shop and just had to have it I would appreciate any feedback anyone has. I have 2 OS25 FXs coming for it I got a good deal by buying 2. So far I've been very impressed with the workmanship of the kit and ease of assembly. I love the sound of Twins flying. Thanks
Old 02-26-2005, 10:15 AM

Default RE: Hobbico Twin Star

Check out the Twin Section, there is alot about this plane there.

Good Luck on your twin
Old 02-26-2005, 10:24 AM
My Feedback: (13)

I used to fly a Hobbico Starfire which is very similar design and contruction to the Twinstar but only one motor and I loved that plane. I flew the crap out of it for about 4 years and was really easy to fly and land. No bad tendencies at all. It made me look like a better pilot than I was at the time. The only complaint was the sticky tape covering which I think the Twinstar has as well. It would peal up around the trailing edge and corners and once fuel got under there it was tough to repair.

About 5 years ago, a guy at our club had a Twinstar and he really liked it. From his explanation it seemed to have the same good characteristics as my Starfire.

I hope this helps.

-Matt
Old 02-26-2005, 01:02 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a boring airplane. Here's what you can do to liven it up.

Ailerons: Replace with ones that are 50% wider.
Fuel Tank: I put 8oz tanks in mine by rebuilding the nacelles.
.40 size BB engine, note the twinstar will need to be recovered because the increased speed will tear the stick on covering off.
Remove most of the dihedral when glueing the wing together.
If you can, add 1-2 inches to each wing for extra lift, not really needed but nice.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:00 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: vrodsc

Has anyone bought and flown the Twin Star I saw one at the hobby shop and just had to have it I would appreciate any feedback anyone has. I have 2 OS25 FXs coming for it I got a good deal by buying 2. So far I've been very impressed with the workmanship of the kit and ease of assembly. I love the sound of Twins flying. Thanks
I think you'll be happy with your plane. I believe the new one is covered in iron-on mylar, rather than the sticky back covering mine has.

I see no reason to make any modifications, using your 25FX engines. The ailerons and wing sizes are fine. With a pair of .25's, you will be able to make 10 minute flights just fine. My older version, with Tower .40's, flies about 7 minutes on the stock tanks, has plenty of vertical and great control. It will do huge loops, four point rolls or rolling circles, and all the run-of-the-mill aerobatics.

A nice feature is that landings are particularly easy. The way it sticks, once it touches down, reminds me of the Contender.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 02-26-2005, 05:58 PM
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Homebrewer

Its a boring airplane. Here's what you can do to liven it up.

Ailerons: Replace with ones that are 50% wider.
Fuel Tank: I put 8oz tanks in mine by rebuilding the nacelles.
.40 size BB engine, note the twinstar will need to be recovered because the increased speed will tear the stick on covering off.
Remove most of the dihedral when glueing the wing together.
If you can, add 1-2 inches to each wing for extra lift, not really needed but nice.
What's boring for you may be fun for other people.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:58 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I bought my twinstar when they first came out several years ago. Thunder tiger 42's will allow single engine take offs, I also have differential power that I used to train on engine out practice. The original covering came off several years ago and was recovered with yellow monocote. I agree with increasing the cord on the ailerons by about half an inch, flys much better. Because the landing gear is 90 deg to the wing it's very stiff and will damage the gear blocks on a hard landing, If you bend a new gear wire at about 35 deg towards the tip you'll have a good shock absorber. R Waldo.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:37 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with dave as I have bought, built,and flown the new version with o.s 40 la's witch in my opinion should give aprox. The same performance as the 25fx and im getting the same fligt times 7-9mins.I love this plane and have flown it quite abit the last few days.My only complaint is that the trim sheet is starting to peel wherever fuel soaks. I recommend lustercoat 1st.Good luck.
Randy