Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
AW Edge? >

AW Edge?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

AW Edge?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 06:27 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AW Edge?

I haven't kept up with the arf tread and don't have the time to sort through the 51 pages.

My question is what mods need to be done before flight?

Does the plane prefer 2 or 4 cycle engines?

Over all is it worth the extra money verses say the Super Kraft arfs?
Old 09-17-2002, 07:53 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Default Pretty bold of you....

to say you don't have time to look up information that is available yet you want someone to take the time to rehash it for you.....

Hummm......
Old 09-17-2002, 08:14 PM

Default AW Edge?

Do you own a AW Edge?
Old 09-17-2002, 08:24 PM

Default Had one.....

sold it......

I now have the 29 % Aeroworks Edge.....

Pug
Old 09-17-2002, 10:06 PM

Default AW Edge?

Was plane worth the price? For the money you can buy a Hanger 9 or Lanier edge in a 120 size.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:20 PM

Default I don't thinks so....

there are better planes out there.....

Pug
Old 09-17-2002, 10:22 PM

Default AW Edge?

I have been keeping up with the thread and if you are considering buying it you should make the time to read it. After all the true fact came out about this plane I think it would be a mistake to buy. The plane is just coming out way to heavy for the size. Have am going to buy the aw 31% edge 540 with a 92 inch wingspan with a zdz 80. My friend bought the small one and it flies ok but NOT A GOOD CHOICE FOR 3d. keep us advised of you choice

FLY IT OR GO HOME
Old 09-18-2002, 06:11 PM

Default AW Edge?

I really like the looks of the Edge and with the wing amd stab in the thrust line it ought to be very neutral. The straight leading edge should make great stall characteristics. But if the plane is too heavy or poorly constructed there isn't alot you can do to help it.

As far as the 69/90 size plane go, AW and Yellow are the only companies I know of to make an Edge arf. Stepping up to a 25% or so plane means spending more than I wanted to. The AW I've seen for just under $300 and the Yellow for somewhere around $250 but will not be available till the end of the year. I can buy a 60 size SK extra for $200 delivered to the door. I wonder if it may even be a better plane?
Old 09-18-2002, 06:32 PM

Default AW Edge?

The AW Edge is an OK plane. It does weigh 9 plus pounds as delivered however. It is VERY neutral once the thrust line is correct. Yes, that means it is not correct as it comes from the box. Knife edge only requires a touch of down and no aileron to hold a straight line. Inverted flight is 95% hands off. High energy 3D like blenders and waterfalls are great. Hovering is OK. Low energy 3D like harriers and elevators lack the smoothness I expected. I have no knowledge of the 60 size Yellow other than their ads. If you have no fear of building, or know a builder, D&L makes a good 60 size kit. (Or hand built ARC if you have the $$$) A fellow club member (whom I feel isn't much of a builder) had a kit version that came in at 6.75 pounds. Understand that the AW is much closer to a 120 size plane than a 60. The Yellow and D&L are really 60 size. Meaning a "60-ish" span, "600-ish" wing area, and "6-ish to 7-ish" pounds.

Hope this helps. I no longer regret buying the AW, it just took alot of work to get it right. That was unexpected from a company like AW.