Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 CMPro Giles 202 - 50 >

CMPro Giles 202 - 50

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMPro Giles 202 - 50

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMPro Giles 202 - 50

So i got the Giles and il be honest..for the price..I AM HAPPY! I know there may be some issues for the covering, but worst comes to worst, il just recover (although it would be a shame)..

I have just completed the assembly, and as far as covering goes..mine is PERFECT..not a scratch, wrinkle, tear, nada! i guess i got lucky.. it seem they clear coated the model i guess giving it somewhat of a durability...i put an OS. 61 FP that I already had (i know its an older model) but it pacs a serious punch..as far as power goes, il be able to hover and still have excess if I need it..I would like to go out and fly but weather sucks right now [&o]...i was also thinking about maybe switching it out with a Saito 100..good or bad idea? seems like maybe to much power idk..

questions- First of all how does it fly? can it do 3D? Hows are the stall and landings?

anyways im very happy with this Giles and it is very uncommon plane at my club so im looking foward to some bragin rights
Old 10-20-2006, 12:59 AM

This plane is without a doubt a GREAT deal. I'm sure Ive flown it well over 100 times and still very pleased with it. I also assembled mine without a scratch or wrinkle but the tears started showing up after the first flight. It rips in flight and when cleaning it after a flying session. Ive patched it with clear oracover or with clear, blue or yellow packaging tape.I also had to recover all of the bottom of the fuse with white monocote because it completely ripped off in the air. However, some of the prior posts indicate that there may be a version 2 of this plane that may have a better covering. That will be great if thats the case. Other than that this plane is a fantasastic flyer. I bought it for pattern aerobatics which I think is this designs forte. I'm sure in the right hands it can be 3D capable but it doesnt have a very thick airfoil nor 3D sized control surfaces. The Tower .61 that powers my Giles is a perfect match and has enough power to hover but I can't sustain it because I don't have enough throw in my control surfaces. Also, the plane balanced perfectly w/o added weight. You may have to add weight to the tail with the Saito
This probably wont be a problem power wise but you kinda lose that 3D type power to weight ratio.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:35 AM

Thanx for the re... i returned the first giles for another one due to a broken firewall (i guess from bad shipping) and i noticed on my new giles that it had version 2 on it. Said something about a clear coat over the whole model...first i noticed that the finish was way more glossy than the last one..i also to bump the wing in the door frame of my garage during careless handling : )..and not even a scuff appeared...also when I tuned the engine..cleaning was not a problem either...acutaly it was quite easy (compared to cleaning my Extra 300 : (

I was looking foward to some 3D capability..but beggars cant be choosers and from what I hear..its an excellent flyer..if you have anymore info PLEEZ let me know..thanks
Old 10-20-2006, 11:01 PM

Believe me, the ONLY issue I had with this plane is the covering (well.... now that I'm thinking about it, the manual leaves much to be desired) but if the covering issue has been addresed this is an awesome deal,you wont be disappointed. Read some of the prior posts about replacing the hardware and you cant go wrong. However, if you really,really are into 3D this plane may not meet your needs. It will snap out of certain manuevers with too much throw, and if you like to bang the sticks hard into the corners, it may spin on you. But it is a great patter/sport flyer. At 61/2 lbs it can land quite slowly and stalls are predictable and forgiving at the recommended rates. I have 3D and other sport plane but the Giles is by far my favorite fun plane.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:04 AM

WOW!!!! maiden flight in the giles today...this has to be the most fun model i have...very responsive and the aerobatics are GREAT! Jaysbird..you were right!! I cant beleive that I only paid 99 dollars for this plane...CMPro is either very smart or stupid..either way, i had fun today..i had a bunch of people from my club come brag about it..its always fun busting out a new model once in a while...im suprised how light it turned out to be..just under 6 1/2lbs...Do you know the right CG for this model?...the instruction manuals i think is wrong..i turned out to be a bit nose-heavy..i had to ajust with about two clicks of up elevator...on the other hand, the OS 61 i have in it turned out to be a perfect match..i could not substain my hovers for as much time do to smaller control surfaces...i was able to do a harrier though..il have a vid posted up soon..again thanks for your help jaysbird...
Old 10-22-2006, 12:02 AM

No problem Airplanecrazy, Glad to hear your maiden went well and you are having as much fun with this bird as I am. I'm seriously thinking about getting another one and setting it up with a really oversized 4S and 3D throws just to see what it will do. I'll keep the other as a back up just in case. For $99 bucks you can't beat it. Now especially since CMP Addressed the covering issue.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:54 AM

Yeah I know, for the price of some of my other planes, i could of gotten tons of giles haha..i was thinking of doing that (getting another giles)..I have a brand new Saito 100 just lying around and put it in there just to see how rediculous it would be...i went out again yesterday and flew the giles and did some high speed passes and some high throttle dives..kind of nervous doing this because i did not know if that my model was going to break in half...happened to me once (phoenix models Giles 202)...but with my new giles..no sign of flutter of anykind which made me happy (but I rarely will do a full throttle dive)...as for the covering..you would think that if your going through the trouble of spraying the model and putting decals on it..it would be high quality right? Get the version 2...when you get your new model..you wont have ANY problems with covering..when i first bought the model, i knew that there might be a possible chance that i would have to re-cover..but that was not the case..(im glad to because it is a very cool looking design...

btw..CMPro has come out with a 50 size Extra 330..same covering design..comes in either blue or red..glass fusalage..cheap price..have you heard of it? very hard to find
Old 10-25-2006, 10:50 AM

Hi everyone,

Excelent post.
Can someone tell me where they bought the Version 2 of the CMPro Giles 202 50. The only place I have seen it is at Nitroplanes and there is nothing said about that the one they have is the Ver2.
Appriciate reply, thanks.

H.M
Old 10-25-2006, 02:41 PM
My Feedback: (8)

I just purchased one from nitroplanes last week I recived it yesterday and it does say version 2 on the box.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:17 PM

Thanks aileron_20. I had asked their tech support but have not received answer. I guess it will be save to say it is the version 2. I would hate to purchase such nice model and have to recover and mess it up. Thanks for the reply.

H.M
Old 10-25-2006, 08:06 PM

When you go to www.nitroplanes.com, and if you order a giles 202 50, it will automaticaly send you the Version 2...I think that CMPro got enough complaints about their covering issues for such a beautiful mdoel and color scheme. Mine was shipped to me in about 5 days regular shipping..and in perfecto condition...CMPro really does a good job packing their models so they dont shift around during shipping.

Ive flown the giles at least 22 times since I flew for the first time last week...it really is a fun plane and it is well built and light...in the right hands and right motor..its capable of doing some simple 3D which is nice...

"I live in a world beyond your world"
Old 10-25-2006, 08:43 PM

Thanks, I thank you and will post when I get it. Order is placed already.

H.M
Old 11-06-2006, 10:08 PM

I am moving up to a more advanced plane and trying to conserve money! Has anybody/does anybody know how this plane would fly with an OS 2stroke .40 size motor? I appreciate any help with it!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:30 PM

Doh I forgot about this thread.I haven't been flying at all recently since it is so cold.I only flew the giles a few times and the Saito 100 is perfect, flies it around great and it doesn't seem overpowered either.Seemed to be a nice stable flying plane.I stopped flying it early on because my exhaust extension melted since it was just those cheap little 2 stroke pipe extensions.I finally redid the exhaust and still haven't got around to testing it.But the old exhaust setup sounded so good.I couldn't believe how beefy that thing sounded.I have never had that Saito or any 4 stroke sound as good as it did with that muffler setup.I am afraid the new setup won't sound the same, that was really cool.Oh and the covering is still the same.I don't think I am going to have any trouble with it, I think Version 2 fixed all the problems.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:45 AM

CMPro recommends a .50 sized 2s engine for this model. Manufacturers recommendations are ususally the smallest (lightest) sized engine that will suffiently fly the model. This plane will weigh at least 6lbs when completely assembled with standard components and that is probably a bit heavy for a .40 sized engine. You may be better off with a .40 sized airplane.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:15 AM

AGREED...do NOT put a .40 sized engine in this plane..you wont have fun with it thats for certain...I have a O.S. 61 fx on mine and it screams like a bat outa hell...fly's like it too...

anybody have videos?? im still trying to get somebody to tag along with me and film...

guess what? no problems with covering after 40ish flights
Old 11-07-2006, 07:30 AM

I appreciate your help! Any suggestions on a 40 size that's stable enough for an intermediate but capable of some 3D flight?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:18 PM

hav2bclimbin, you might want to check out www.nitroplanes.com , they have a good selection, but i strongly recomend that you purchase a giles 202 50 because it is an absolutly fanstastic model...and as for the price..only $99? you wont find a better deal..this model used to be $200, so you are basicaly saving an extra $50-$100 that can easily get you a great size engine (i would go with a O.S. 61 just because its a perfect match for this model and the power to weight ratio is great)...
Old 11-09-2006, 09:55 PM

Thanks airplane crazy, that's a good point. I have a feeling I'm either going that route or picking up the new hangar 9 p-51 ps. I appreciate all of your help!
Old 11-16-2006, 12:43 AM
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I ordered mine from www.ak-models.com last week and it arrived today. $120 shipped to my front door. Nice packaging job. Not a scuff on it when it arrived.

The plan:
TH .75 with my tank on the CG and a Cline regulator
JR9101BB coreless on the ailerons
JR9411BB MG digital coreless on the rudder
Hitec HS-225 on each elevator
HS-81 on throttle

Hitec 8ch RX. 1200mah MH 6V battery.

I will mount everything (engine, landing gear, tank, throttle servo, canopy etc..) except my 2 elevator servos and my rudder servo. Then I'll use those 3 servos to balance it. I like to use dual elevator servos and mix them with my TX. Probably mount the HS225 elevator servos in the tail somewhere. Hopefully nice and close to the tail for short linkage rods. Just depends on the balance.

I bought it "hoping" that it would do some mild 3D like hovering, torque rolls and harriers. The ailerons are big enough and the rudder on any Giles is always very powerful. But, the elevators look a bit small. I'll go ahead and install my hinges so that I can get 45* deflection and see if she will harrier. I'm sure it's going to be a very nice precision plane. I want to set it up to do nice IMAC type flying on low rates. Then set the high rates for all I can get with some expo to soften it up and see how she handles in slow flight.

Can't wait to put it together and go fly it. Darn nice lookin' plane for $120 shipped. My covering looks like it has a clear outer coating over it. Must be V2. Pretty cool scheme, but it's not gonna be fun to patch. [sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 11-16-2006, 01:12 AM

Rcpilet..good choice, you will enjoy this model..believe me, ive had more that 100 flights on the thing and it still performs like a champ.

I got mine from nitroplanes.com..only $99 from there, and as for the covering, they fixed that in version 2..the first version's covering was hell..i have version 2 and still no rips, wrinkles, or anything of that sort (would be a shame because it is a nice scheme). TH .75...lot of power..I have a O.S. 61 in mine and I think it is a perfect match (i have very good power to weight ratio)..and yes in the right hands it does perform 3D..only thing that bothers me a lil is that i cant hover for long periods of time because the elevator is just a tad to small..(i have it on highest throw)

this is an incredible sport/pattern type airplane and as for the landings...the thing floats right in and performs well at slow speeds..which is suprising because the wing surface area is not that big...have fun with it..its a great package.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:50 PM

I started assembly tonight. Got my TH .75 engine mounted. It is mounted sideways with a Bisson pitts muffler. The sides and top and bottom of the motorbos run out past the firewall. I had to cut the top and bottom lip off to get my engine mount on the firewall. Yep--it takes up the whole firewall. I know some will say it's too much power. I'm up here at 6000', so it's gonna be just right for a 6 pound plane.

I put my tank as far back as I could get it. It's right in front of the servo tray. I have my Cline regulator mounted and plumbed. I always have a hard time drilling that hole in the backplate for the pressure tap. Don't know why it bothers me. One nice thing about the TH engine is that it has a nice little knub cast into the backplate. It sticks out about the size of a #2 pencil eraser. Perfect spot to put in a pressure tap. It's almost like Tower thought about it when they designed these engines.

I'm trying to figure out how to run my throttle servo and pushrod. My engine is so big, there just isn't any room on the firewall to run a pushrod out. The Bisson pitts tucks right down the side of the engine mount, so not much room in there to get a pushrod. I am trying to figure out a way to put a little HS-81 right on the firewall--in between the engine mounts. Then run a little 3" pushrod to my throttle. I don't know if I can get it in there. Gonna be tight.

Wish I could post pics. I left my digital camera at work today. []

I'll post back over the weekend. I plan to hit this hard and plug on it all weekend. Might get it done in time for Sunday if I stay up late tonight and Saturday.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:05 PM

I got my horizontal stab on. Got the main landing gear on. Wheel pants on. Mounted a Hitec HS-81 on the firewall for throttle duty, but haven't made the linkage yet.

The elevator controls are an area of stress for me. My original intent was to cut 2 holes on the fuse sides in the back and run dual HS-225 servos on the elevators. Then I saw the carbon fiber pushrod in the box and decided to give it a go. What a pain in the rear end. [:@] I had a terrible time just getting it installed and getting the wires out the little slots in the tail. Then I couldn't get the wires bent just right. It's either binding up or not enough travel. [:@] I got mad and yanked it all out. I'm going back to my original plan of using dual HS-225 servos on the elevators. I'll have to cut a couple holes and beef it up with a lite-ply plate for mounting each servo.

I'm terribly worried about being tail heavy. I'll probably end up going with the stock pull-pull setup on the rudder, just to keep that weight up front.

Could anyone comment on the balance when using some of the larger engines? I've read through the thread and see that some guys are using the 61 2-stroke engines and 70--80 4-strokes. I know the 60 size 2-strokes weigh virtually the same as my TH .75 and in some cases, my engine is even lighter than some 60 engines. So, hows the balance? Any issues? Battery location? Lead? [:'(][:'(] I don't want to add lead. I'll do just about anything to avoid lead in a plane.

I gotta tell ya, I've migrated to mostly 50cc gas planes over the last 4yrs and it's a real challenge to get your hands inside these smaller planes. I'd forgotten how small these things are. I've done a few 40 size 3D planes recently, but they have external servos and are designed for simple installation that doesn't require getting your hands down inside the airframe. This particular Giles is tight as a frogs butt inside. [sm=tongue_smile.gif]

I've added some tri-stock to the engine box area and firewall. The only thing holding this engine in the airframe is the motorbox and it's just atached to the F-2 former. I've stuck quite a bit of tri-stock arount where the motorbox passes out and through the F-2 former. I cut a 1.5" x 2.5" hole in the bottom of the motorbox to gain access near the firewall. I've used that access hole to get several nice pieces of tri-stock up against the back of the firewall and inside the sides, top and bottom of the motorbox. It should be significantly stronger now. I've ripped a few firewalls out in the past. Something about shoving a .75 engine in a plane designed for a 45-50 engine--seams the factory glue joints and construction aren't up the HP. [sm=lol.gif]

I'll post back again this weekend with more updates.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:29 AM

Elevator servos are installed. I glued my elevators on and made up my linkages. They are only about 4" long each. I plugged in a RX and batery and programmed the mix in my radio for the dual elevator servos. I'm using a JR8103. I just went into P-Mix 6 and ran ELEV as the master and FLAPS as my slave. Set the mix rate at 100% with the elevator stick in both up and down positions. Used sub-trims on ELEV and FLAPS to center up my elevators. Then went into the FLAPS POT and turned it off (inhibited) so that turning the flaps dial won't cause one elevator to move up and down. Works like it should. I'm so used to doing it on the bigger planes--only takes me 5 minutes to set it all up now. First time I tried that with this radio--took me 5 hours. [sm=red_smile.gif]

Rudder servo is installed. Rudder is glued on. I went with the stock pull-pull wires and crossed them for best performance and leverage. I have the cowl mounted, but haven't had a chance to cut any holes in it yet. My engine cylinder head is off at the moment. It's going to stick out of the cowl a bit, so I just pulled it off for now. Makes it a lot easier to slip the cowl on and off while I'm working. Otherwise, the head is hitting the cowl everytime I slip the cowl on and off for measurements. I used 4 screws to mount the cowl. Got all of them located and drilled and then I pulled it all off and went back in with a 3/16" drill and drilled out the screw holes in the fuse. I cut 4 pieces of 4-40 graphite pushrod material at about 1/2" long each. Used some medium CA and slipped the graphite pieces in the 3/16" holes in the fuse. Now my cowl screws won't vibrate out all the time. Hate that. [:@]

I love the hinges in this ARF. They look like a Robart, but there are 5 special hinges. They have a plastic control rod built in. You just glue that hinge in the right spot and it's a hinge/control horn in one unit. Slick setup. I'm attaching a JPEG paint image that I sketched for those of you that haven't seen this ARF yet.

I got my throttle pushrod made and installed. Set my travel. Got it set up pretty linear. My endpoints are 112 High and 110 low. I hate it when I fly someone elses plane and you have to push the stick all the way to 1/2 before the engine comes off idle. Then you basically only have 1/2 stick travel from idle to full throttle. Terrible way to fly. I always set up my throttle linkages so that I have the same travel on the top of the stick as the bottom. That way each click of the throttle gives a definitive response from the engine. My throttle servo is glued onto the firewall with epoxy. It's mounted right in the middle of the engine mount rails on the firewall. Tight squeeze, but it's in there. I just scuff the case with 60 grit paper and then run a Dremel sanding drum over the firewall where I plan to install the servo. Mix up about 1/4 teaspoon of 15 minute epoxy and slap it on there. I've done this about 20 times on these smaller planes and haven't lost one yet. It takes some time to figure out just exactly where to put it, but I sure do like instaling my throttle servo on the firewall. My linkage is about 3" long and it's a direct shot right to the carb. No slop. No stupid cable or flexible pushrod snaking around inside the fuse. The HS-81 weighs next to nothing, so I'm not concerned about the weight up front. If it's nose heavy--thats easy to fix. I'd much rather add 1/8oz of lead to the tail than deal with a tail heavy plane and have to add 6oz of lead to the motorbox.

Now that I have all the servos in the fuselage mounted and set up in my radio--I'm going to mount my RX, switch, battery and charge jack. I'll put the battery on the CG for now.

Tomorrow I plan to glue the ailerons on, mount the wing servos and build the aileron linkages. That should just about do it for the mechanical stuff. I'll still have to put the canopy on and cut some holes in my cowl. I didn't look around in the box for decals. I would like to add an instrument panel and a pilot to this one. It's just too pretty to fly it without a pilot. I may even build a little balsa box to simulate the rear instrument panel and install it in the cockpit. Then if I could fine 2 really light pilots, I could put them both in there. I don't know how many of you know this, but the Giles 202 is a twin seater. I think it would look kinda cool with 2 people under the canopy.

Thats all for now. I'm tired. It's 2:30am [sm=sleeping.gif]
Old 11-19-2006, 08:40 PM

i had kinky freedman and spongebob in mine..then it looked really gay..so i burned kinky kept spongebob and tinted the canopy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.