Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Seagull PC-9 120 size... >

Seagull PC-9 120 size...

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull PC-9 120 size...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys thanks for all the info. I'm about 90 % done with my 120. I opted for a Hacker 50 12 L on a 18/12 prop on 6s.The nose gear cycling problem has absorbed a lot of time. I contacted Horizon. Although there isn't an update. They are shipping out a new one. Thanks Andrew. To she weight I only used one pilot hallowed out and shaved a half in.off the bottom so he sits lower. A little repaint and he looks respectable. Those pilots weigh damn near a pound by themselves.yuk. I need help posting pics off of my Android. Any ideas ?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:27 AM
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be flying mine this weekend at our warbird event. I'll take plenty o' pics.
BTW. I have the horizon (e-flite ) retracts and mine don't work 95% of the time...Usually only one or 2 cycles, sometimes they get stuck up, sometimes they hget stuck down. I've investigated the potential problem tirelessly. It seems that it must be in the units themselves.- I'm so afraid to retract them that I only fly with the gear down. What a waste !
Old 10-09-2013, 05:48 AM

Wow. That sucks. Have you tried assigning them to a different channel? I fashioned some 4 inch long pins made of thin spring steel. I drilled holes in the front bulkhead and pushed these in just under the steering bracket so when I retract the nose gear the steering arm rides down the wire. This works 80 % of the time but that one time it doesn't would result in a tore up fiberglass cowel busted prop and maybe a damaged 30 $ true turn spinner. I want and paid for 100 %. Is yours electric ?did you omit anything in the name of weight savings ? Who makes your retracts ? Any advice from them ? I know the elect. Gear work on a overload type circuit that reads the higher draw at the end of a cycle. A intermittent electrical problem is a bear. Maybe grease the gearing ? What else special did you do to your plane ?

Regards Dennis.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:44 AM

So No flaps how was your first flight ??? I received the replacement nose gear to fiddle with and I believe I found the solution.
Issue #1. The wheel would turn sideways while retracting. Once the control lines slackened the wheel would hang up on the edges of the gear bay.
Solution : remove the retainer ring on top of the block and remove the leg. Add a wavey washer or a couple of split lock washers in between the steering arm and the bottom of the pivot block. Loosen the set screw on the steering arm and let it slide down.slide the leg back into the block and reinstall the retainer ring. Slide the steering arm back up so that the wavey or split washers are compressed and lock down the setscrew. I added a bit of light machine oil to keep the wear down.this friction gets rid of the slop caused by the oversized pivot hole and will keep the wheel straight as it tucks up into the bay.
Issue #2. Because the slide diameter is too small compared to the journal machined into the block there is alot of play in the retracted position. This keeps the wheel from fully tucking up into the bay and hangs out the bottom and looks silly. You can slide slotted pieces of brass tubing over the little slide.Thereby increasing the diameter. That 1 mm of slop increases to about 8mm at the wheel. If you just simply put a bend about 3/4s of an inch up from the wheel this will put the wheel behind the pivot point and push the wheel up into the bay completely.
A side benefit is that you get a neet trailing arm look.
Issue #3. Lateral slop with the nose gear down and the plane sitting on the ground.There was a lot of side to side movement. The washer fix takes care of part of it. But the rest of the slop is because of the gapping between the main block and the frame. To fix this you can take the unit apart and lightly sand the black plastic blocks so as to reduce their thickness. Or you can try just cranking down on the the screws. You can actually fine tune the gear this way. I'm happy to say that this bit of work has yielded a nice tight gear that I am more comfortable with.
I wish I knew how to post pics off my droid Razor. I can be reached on this forum or at [email protected] hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:12 AM

I'm building a Blackhorse 120 PC9 now and I am very disappointed. Too many missing (vital) parts and if what you guys say is correct, why advertise a plane to take a 20cc gasser and be out of balance by so much.
I have ordered the Robart 510 to replace the standard retracts. I'm sure I'll be mounting a better bracket to hold the gear valve so it cannot come loose.
Quality is standard Vietnamese/Chinese: manual short on detail where it matters, incorrect pictures and I doubt any if these manufacturers actually build what they make.
Updates to come.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:34 AM
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first flight was uneventful and went off without a hitch.
She flies fantastically and the DLE30 with 3 blade pulls her like a champ.
I'd like to change out some of the pushrods as they seem a bit thin.
Balancing was not really and issue and I put my LIFe battery packs in the rear hatch-near the tail. No problems balancing my 30CC.
I'll probably fly her within the month again, as it's been quite a long time since she last flew. I just have to wait for the humidity and temperature to drop.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:17 PM

has anyone fitted the DLE20 - how much cowl was needed to be cut away for the cylinder head?
Old 11-19-2019, 07:39 PM

Hey all,

Sorry to drag up a really old thread but if anyone out there that has owned one of these planes i'd love some advice. I've just picked one of these up second hand but brand new in the box.

I'm looking at power options and i'm wondering if I would be happy with the performance of the plane if I fit a 120 4 stroke. I have an OS 200 as well but I kind of had that reserved for another plane. I also have a Zenoah G26 but that's going to have the carb and exhaust stick out each side which I think would look too silly.

Hopefully someone is still watching and can help me out.

Cheers,

Glenn.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:30 AM

Default 120FS is ample

With the kit straight out of the box the 120FS is ample power to fly her
Old 02-23-2022, 06:39 PM
My Feedback: (5)

A few months after maiden, I lost mine during landing approach when a tree jumped up from no where. I missed this plane ever since.

Nine years later, wouldn't you believe it, one came up for sale locally! Going to pick it up this weekend and re-live my memory.

Hope everyone is still flying yours!