Community
Search
Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

First elecrtric sailplane

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:49 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First elecrtric sailplane

Old 04-10-2007, 11:57 AM

Default RE: First elecrtric sailplane

You say the Frigate birds are soaring. What are they using for lift? Thermals or slope lift? I think that considering your winds as described I woukld go for an F5B sailplane or hotliner and would make it a little lighter than normal. Perhaps using a smaller battery and power system. For example on the sailplanes such as the Ocelot E or the Sprinter. Another way to go would be a sailplane that can do multi task. I would look at the Mefisto, or the Lynx-E as examples.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:16 PM

[8D]
Old 04-19-2007, 01:25 PM

I will assume you are all set.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:02 PM

Hi Sal,

Sorry for not responding sooner but I wanted to do a bit more research on my flying site before I posted again. I took a fellow out to the field who has some sailplane experience.

It looks like we have a mix of slope conditions and thermal conditions depending on when you would fly and the wind conditions. The main influence at the site is prevailing south easterly trade winds that blow pretty continually through out the year at 10-30 mph depending on the season. Since there are two 500' hills on the upwind and down wind side of the field, my friend thinks there should be good slope lift on the downwind side and downdraft on the upwind side. That's about all I can say about the site.

So, I think that what I need is a strong built plane that can with stand the wind conditions but can do some thermaling/ sloping and some "warmlining" i. e. some mild aerobatics. I guess what you would call a crossover type plane? I would like to try to stay with something in the 2M range unless you have something with a larger span that you would recommend. We do have a short field ( 250') which gives me some concern so maybe flaps ? We have trimmed down about another 200' of bush to leave just 3' tall grass for an approach.

I would like to keep the airframe cost under $250.- so maybe you could give me some recommendations based on the above info. I have looked at your previous recommnedations, but wanted to give you some more info first before ordering a plane. I would say that having no experience with sailplanes, and being what I would consider an intermediate pilot, my biggest concern would be getting the plane back to earth without incident, i.e. my reason for limiting my investment at this point.

Hope this helps. I will call and talk to you a bit more once you give me some recommndations.

Thanks,
Norm

Old 05-15-2007, 10:20 PM

Take a look at the Adriana as this is a good multi-task electric that might do the job for you. http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=1158
I can give other suggestions but take a look at this one first to see if this is in the ballpark. You are more than welcome to also give me a call where we can have a dialog this way I would get a better idea of you site, you experience level, and the way you want to fly