Community
Search
Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Electrifly Lancair Setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrifly Lancair Setup

Hi Sal!

I was wondering, I want to transport my F-27c strykers guts into the Electrifly lancairl, but will a 6x4 propeller work at the front of the plane, or is a motor with a lower KV necessary? I know this plane is fast with the brushed setup alone, but Im looking for very fast speed, a ltttle short of pylon f5d standard, if it can get there (which it cant) I dont mind. To conpensate for speed I will use Hs-81' for the elevator and two eflite S-75 servos for ailerons ( will this be enough? One more thing, for rudder will the eflite S-75 be enough or should I use HS-81?

Thanks for your time Sal, it is really appreciated.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:19 AM

Default RE: Electrifly Lancair Setup

You can use the direct drive on this airplane as it will work OK. Better would be a 2 to 1 or so gear drive to give you a bigger prop to work with. It will fly fine with the direct drive but the speed of the propo will be a little high for an ideal setup for this aircraft. I would consider using a geardrive on the motor from the stryker. I would use a 2-1 or 2.5 to 1. An offset would be fine.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:20 AM

You might be able to use the existing gearbox provided with the lancair.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:04 PM

Thanks Sal, thats what I needed to hear.

Kind Regards,
Mc
Old 04-25-2007, 04:50 AM

Hi Sal, I got a couple more questions. Do you think instead of a 6x4 prop I could use a GWS 7x3.5 or is that a bit flimsy for this sort of power? And the lancair comes with a 3:1 gearbox, is this usable or is it too much reduction, Im thinking Ill have to run atleast a 12 inch prop if I do go that route, and thats a little big. And If I go the complete stock route (6x4 prop) what sort of performance do you think I'll get, you said it will fly Ok and the motor will be spinning a little too high but does that mean it'll be quick or will lack power?

Thanks again Sal
Old 04-29-2007, 08:18 PM

Running direct drive the prop speed will be high and it will have thrust but not as much as a geardriven setup. Direct drive is a better solution for faster aircraft but it will work on the Lancair but will not be as good a choice as a geardriven setup. It is always a good idea to get the maximum speed of the prop close to the maximum speed of the aircraft. That way the thrust and speed will be more in line with the aircraft.