Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

NiCad Recycle

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NiCad Recycle

Hello all! Question, One of my old faithfull cad 'play' packs has finally started to act wierd, not liking to take a charge well and very short run times. Before recycling it, I took it apart thinking to maybe keep a cell or two to use as spares for my son and I's glow starter(s) for the nitro cars. Is there a quick simple way to test the now individual cells for life left?
Old 06-08-2005, 05:41 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NiCad Recycle

Chances are it has at least one cell that has gone dead or nearly dead. The others may be just fine, especially for use as a glow driver. I suggest simply touching the ends of each individual cell with the probes from a voltmeter (plus to plus, minus to minus, of course) and seeing if the meter needle moves. It should indicate at least 1.1 volts if the cell is good, or barely a twitch (if that) if the cell has gone to greener pastures. If you don't have a voltmeter, kloodge up some wires to a glow plug and see if it will warm the coil.

Sometimes the problem is a microscopic internal short, which you can burn away by touching it BRIEFLY (plus to plus, minus to minus) with leads from a 2-volt gel cell or 6-volt lantern battery. Wear gloves and safety glasses, and be ready to put the jump-started cell on charge at C/10 right away.

But if you see a white, dry, powdery corrosion around the terminals, never mind ... it's dead, Jim. [&o]
Old 06-08-2005, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NiCad Recycle

Hey, thanks for the input! Yes, as I tore the pack apart I found the 'white power corrosion' around the top, at the gasket area and knew right then what was up. I put'm to the voltmeter anyway (sub-c's). (2) cells do not show any leakage, the other (4) do, (1) of which BADLY. I get .560 .683 .786 and so on, the bad leaker I get .003. ( I verified the pack was discharged before I opened it up)