Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
 DeWalt has 36 volt problems in Home Depot ??? >

DeWalt has 36 volt problems in Home Depot ???

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

DeWalt has 36 volt problems in Home Depot ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 04:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default DeWalt has 36 volt problems in Home Depot ???

I could not find 1 new 36 volt tool in the place. Only a few 18 volt.

Whats WRONG with them ?

I really do not believe Black Friday ate all of them. Do you ?

They had pulled some off the shelves weeks ago.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:11 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DeWalt has 36 volt problems in Home Depot ???

I heard it was for the cost. Home Depot thinks the 36v line is kind of pricey and may not sell as well. Also there was something about dewalt having a recall on the circular saw, there was a blade guard issue.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:03 PM
My Feedback: (282)

I was just in HD and looked for them, none. Ordered the 36V pack from eBay.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

There seems to be an ample supply on e-Bay in the $100 (shipping included) range. I have torn down 4 of them and have not found any with questionable cells. At $10/cell going the DeWalt route I can't figue why A123 has not made them available for that price.

Something to think about:

DeWalt retail price = $156
Cost to Home Depot = $80
DeWalt Manufacturing Cost = $50
Cost for molded plastic parts and internal electronics in pack - $8.00
Assembly and packaging cost of pack = $2
Cost to Dewalt for 10 cells $40
A123 cell manufacturing cost <$3.00

estimates based on 30 years in the battery manufacturing business - GE, Gates Energy Products, Energizer Power Systems.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:48 PM

Red I read in one of the A123 Racing post that they priced their Developers Kit cells at $16.50 each to match the suggested retail price of the DeWalt 36V pack.

My logic is more along the lines as yours.
The vendors who sell premade A123 packs charge right at $25 per cell. At those prices there is little wonder that most of us are going the E Bay route.

I love the cells and if they were around $8 for bare cells and $15 per cell in premade packs there would be a substantial increase in sales I would think.

Charles
Old 02-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: everydayflyer

Red I read in one of the A123 Racing post that they priced their Developers Kit cells at $16.50 each to match the suggested retail price of the DeWalt 36V pack.

The vendors who sell premade A123 packs charge right at $25 per cell. At those prices there is little wonder that most of us are going the E Bay route.

I love the cells and if they were around $8 for bare cells and $15 per cell in premade packs there would be a substantial increase in sales I would think.

Charles
I don't think A123 has won the marketing genius award for 2007 yet. :-)
Old 02-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Charles
I don't think A123 has won the marketing genius award for 2007 yet. :-)
A123 is in business to make money. They don't have a lot of competition so why should they lower their prices? They probably sell more cells in a day to DeWalt than they do to the entire R/C industry in a year.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:34 PM

A123 is in business to make money. They don't have a lot of competition so why should they lower their prices? They probably sell more cells in a day to DeWalt than they do to the entire R/C industry in a year
Sometimes less profit per item but more sells results in greater profit but as you say they don't have a lot of competition Fact is they have no competition other than E Bay sales of the De Walt packs and they make a point of explaining why the DeWalt cells should not be used by hobbiest.

Charles
Old 03-21-2007, 05:02 PM

Does anyone know the part number/manufacturer of the two five pin connectors in the DeWalt pack that connect to every cell? It looks like .100 inch spacing (equiv to 2.54 mm). thanx
Old 05-08-2007, 03:46 PM

A123 is in business to make money. They don't have a lot of competition so why should they lower their prices? They probably sell more cells in a day to DeWalt than they do to the entire R/C industry in a year
Sometimes less profit per item but more sells results in greater profit but as you say they don't have a lot of competition Fact is they have no competition other than E Bay sales of the De Walt packs and they make a point of explaining why the DeWalt cells should not be used by hobbiest.

Charles
What "point of explaining"? I have not read anything about a123 recommending not using those cells.... where is this at?