Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
 Best home 20A power supply and best compact 5A road power supply. >

Best home 20A power supply and best compact 5A road power supply.

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Best home 20A power supply and best compact 5A road power supply.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best home 20A power supply and best compact 5A road power supply.

What would be the best home power supply to power up 3 X FMA 4S Cellpro chargers charging 11.1V 2500 mah lipos at a 2.5A rate. I am presently using a deep cycle marine battery connected to a 2A car battery charger.

Secondly, what would be the best most compact power supply (110V TO 12V or better 110V TO 13.8V) to take with me on the road as I travel for work and quite often do not have access to 12V power - no car.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:40 PM

Default RE: Best home 20A power supply and best compact 5A road power supply.

Hobby-Lobby has a nice 20amp unit for under $60, I have two and they have been flawless.

Wal-Mart sells a 6amp unit for about $23.........they are in the sporting goods section where the coolers are. They sell a cooler that plugs into a cig lighter in your vehicle. This unit allows the use of the cooler in your house. Just cut off the cig plug.....add your plug of choice and you're in business.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:30 PM

Whistler, I'm in the same boat running CellPro 4S's. I will be using a portable car jump-start unit that is basically a huge 12V battery with a cig. outlet and at home I plan on using some standard 10A DC power supply from any hardware store or radio shack... there can't be that much of a quality difference in such simple a thing right?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 AM

Whistler which one did you end up going with?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:29 PM

Ok, I ended up going with this one:

[link=http://shop3.outpost.com/{00fWOILBYQBiPxSY+9Tkww**.node2}/product/1975145;jsessionid=00fWOILBYQBiPxSY+9Tkww**.node2? site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG]Samlex 12V 10A Regulated Power Source[/link]

Old 10-27-2007, 10:04 AM

Wrong[X(]
I would hesitate to buy one of those cheap power supplies that are sold for running thermoelectric coolers, they are designed for a device that is not critical as to how well filtered and regulated the output is. If you have one and want to try it, that's one thing, but if you do buy one, make sure you give it a good work out before you do anything that will make it impossible to return
Both of the power supplies mentioned are a much better investment as is converting a PC power supply, if you like to do a little electronic project[8D]
Good luck,
Pete