Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
 lipo voltage cutoff - individual cell vs entire pack >

lipo voltage cutoff - individual cell vs entire pack

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

lipo voltage cutoff - individual cell vs entire pack

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lipo voltage cutoff - individual cell vs entire pack

I see the Cell Pro 4S Discharge Protection Module monitors each cell voltage to know when to cutoff. All other modules I've seen appear to monitor the entire pack voltage. Sounds like the cell pro is the best way to go. In practice does it really make a difference to monitor each cell? Is there any brushless rc car esc checking individual cell voltage - velineon, novak, mamba, etc?
Old 07-28-2008, 07:21 AM

Default RE: lipo voltage cutoff - individual cell vs entire pack

I'm not an expert in this area but my understanding of my Cellpro 4s is that in addition to charging the individual cells it also switches to balancing the cells which requires charging and monitoring of each cell that the voltage is even in each cell and this is done automatically without any intervention by the user.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:21 AM

Oh, I was talking about the voltage cutoff device they offer. see here for a link - http://tinyurl.com/5e9kwq
Old 07-28-2008, 09:10 AM

I have two Cellpro 4S chargers, if you balance charge your batteries and are conservative on how low you discharge your packs, you won't need the discharge protection module. I had considered one back when I converted my 2M thermal sailplane to lipo, but was put off by the extra hardware to stuff in the plane. This is my third season on the original 3S 2000mah pack, no balance problems, but then I usually only use about 70% of the pack capacity on any given flight, having a separate timer on the throttle makes sure I don't get caught with a low battery if I hook into a "boomer" after my last powered climb
When I used to fly in Capt Lou's area, we used to get thermals that'd pick up a brick, well almost
Pete