Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Am i ready to fly? >

Am i ready to fly?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Am i ready to fly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i ready to fly?

Ok here i go, the plane is ready ,i feel ready. I have spent many long hours on the sim. I think i have the orintation down. I feel really good about the landing. Should i fly?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Am i ready to fly?

"I think I have the orientation down" ??   hmmmm remember you can't press a button and restart !

What will you be flying ?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:48 PM

Regardess of what you may be flying you should still have an experienced flyer look over your plane and help you fly it the first time. You are setting yourself up for failure by not seeking expert advice. I am not saying it can't be done on your own, but it can be a long, frustrating, and expensive process.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:18 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

<font size="2">

While the simulator is a good tool to use for training, it should in no way be considered an instructor tool. I have seen many people use the simulator before ever contacting an instructor and often they will pick up and develop bad habits from the simulator. Often times these bad habits will have to be "un-learned" when an instructor is contacted. Don't get me wrong, I think that the simulator is a great tool to help decrease the training time needed when learning to fly. But this must be done properly It should be used to PRACTICE skills that are taught each training session. When done in this manner it is indeed a cheap and safe way to practice these new skills. </p>

There are some things that most simulators aren't as accurate on as in real life, and these differences can often times give new pilots a false sense of security as to what they are capable of. A simulator is nothing more than a teaching tool, just like a buddy box is. It has a specific set of circumstances where it's use is applicable and it needs to be used properly like any other tool.</p>

Here's a list of some of the "bad" habits one can develop:
1) Failing to keep the plane straight during takeoff run.
2) Climbing out too steep.
3) Not maintaining a constant altitude while turning.
4) Turns that aren't smooth, too sharp, etc.
5) Forgetting that there is a left stick.
6) Not lining up with the runway during landing approach.
7) Using ailerons instead of rudder to make course corrections when landing.
8) Using the elevator to extend the landing when you realize you're short.
9) Failure to learn the signs that a plane is about to stall, and what to do to avoid it, or recover from it. </p>

</p></font><font face="Times New Roman">

The sim is NOT</p><ul><ul/>[/list]</font>

Going to teach you how to tune your engine </p>

Going to teach you how to correct fuel system problems </p>

Going to teach you how to set up your linkages </p>

Going to show you about lateral inbalance and surface warp </p>

Going to locate errors in assembly </p>

Going to teach you how to maiden a plane </p>

Going to trim out your plane </p>

Going to simulate other flyers at the field </p>

Going to blow a hard gust of air at your plane at just the wrong time </p>

Going to simulate that hard sink thermal just off the runway threshold, though doable in G4 </p>

Going to have a bird come out and attack your plane in the air </p>

Going to give you the weak knees you'll get the first time you fly </p>

Going to throw a bug in your face and the sun glare in your eyes at the wrong time </p>
Old 02-15-2011, 09:17 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Ditto the suggestion to get some help. If you are flying a beginner appropriate plane, at least get an experienced flyer to check it over and do the first flight on it. 20 minutes with an experienced flyer getting it trimmed out and adjusting the control throws for you will make your first few outings much more productive.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:20 AM

Thanks, the plane is set up, i have. spent many long hours preparing, reading, and seeking advice from a lot of flyers. And of course this website has helped alot.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:43 AM
My Feedback: (32)

If you're determined to go it alone, please get as far away from civilization as possible and take a friend with a video camera. Sick as I may be, I enjoy a good crash vid evey now and again!!!

Otherwise, like majority here would suggest, join an AMA sanctioned club, talk with an instructor and and learn to fly safely. Believe me, you will meet some extraordinary people who are more than happy to help a newcomber to this hobby. Besides, not only do you get to showcase you're creativity, if for some reason something isn't quite right or you need a piece/part, I bet someone will be there for you.

The choice is yours my friend!!!

Scotty
Old 02-16-2011, 04:52 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: jcoop65

i have. spent many long hours preparing,
Don't waste that time by cutting corners now.

Get an instructor and have him take you up with a buddy box. It only takes seconds to turn that beautiful airplane into a pile of sticks
Old 02-16-2011, 04:54 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, the plane is set up, i have. spent many long hours preparing, reading, and seeking advice from a lot of flyers. And of course this website has helped alot.
No matter what you think, your plane may or may not be ready and set up properly. I don't want to sound harsh, but the reality of it is that there are items on your plane that, no matter what you read, you won't understand until you have someone that has done it before, look it over and point out the particular issues with every single item on that plane that is critical to flight.

You may wish to go it alone, and that's up to you. The best suggestion I can give you is to at least have someone that is experienced and well prepared to look the plane over and make darned sure that everything is ready to go.

One common mistake is that after the first flight, if you manage to get it on the ground safely, is that confidence level that you may develop from that experience, then refuel and take-off right away. This is a common mistake of many that try this on their own, and I can understand that. However, the second flight is the one where many fail, where crashes occur, mainly because the post flight checks were not done and something as simple as a loose screw on a servo arm that wasn't picked up before, vibrated to the point where it was ready to fall off. Then, once airborne on the second flight it falls off, the servo arm comes away from the servo, and, as Murphy would have it, that arm just happens to be on the elevator servo. Now what do you do?

I speak from experience on that particular problem because it happened to me, and that was with an instructor on hand. We both failed to check this control after the first flight, and it failed on the second flight and that was that.

Do yourself a favor and get some assistance from a qualified instructor at a club field. You won't regret it one bit.

CGr.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:34 AM

Like what all others said, ask for help. If your in a club, it doesn't cost a thing to have an instructor help you. Its only gonna cost you (maybe), if you try and handle the airplane by yourself for the first time.

Happy Flying

Jason</p>
Old 02-16-2011, 05:50 AM
My Feedback: (12)

I have being flying for only a year and still I dont feel comfortable checking a plane for the first time.
Each time a have a new plane (even if I bought it used) I have an experienced pilot to check it and maiden it for me.
I watched carefully and learn.
One of this days I will be ready for it.
So by no means you are ready to solo. I bet your thums dont shake w the sim, I assure you they will at the field.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 AM

Ive only been back in the hobby for about a year and dont maiden any of my planes yet even though i probably could.  Even though I build (or might I say assemble them as I always buy ARFs) all of my planes and understand CG and control throws and hinging, etc... I feel better having an experienced pilot do the maidens for now. 

Even though all of my planes are either ARFs that I have assembled or 2nd hand complete RTF ones...I still have a lot of my valuable time in getting them ready for flight that I dont want it all to be for not on its first flight.

Just last week I had just finished putting back together a used Mini Ultra Stick airframe with new servos, motor, ESC and battery.  I downloaded the manual and set everything by the book (minus CG which I left a tad bit nose heavy for the maiden).  And even though I knew it would fly ok I still let one of the experienced pilots at our club do the first flight and boy am I glad that I did!  What seemed to me to not be too nose heavy definitely was!

That plane was all over the sky and it was all my friend could do to keep it flying while someone adjusted the trims as he called out what it needed.  He couldnt take his thumbs off the sticks (well he probably could have but he didnt want to do anything to chance downing the plane) to even adjust them himself.

I think this is a fine testament as to no matter if you think you know...you dont always know how a first flight is going to turn out.  It will probably not be until next year (2 years back in) that I will even start to feel comfortable maidening my planes.

good luck though just the same!</p>
Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Banned

I agree with everyone, and I liked R/CKen answer the best. ( I can't believe I just wrote that. )

Pete
Old 02-16-2011, 06:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup, 14 months experience here and finnishing up a hog bipe, no danger am I doing the maiden flight. If I loose control and crash it first flight its because I was a fool to take it up.Everyone is different but after 14 months I know that although I can fly a well trimmed and balanced plane and be totally relaxed, if I take the bipe up first flight untrimmed and have no idea how the throws are going to react, my thumbs will be shaking that much its stupid.

You still have not said what plane you have?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:53 AM
My Feedback: (7)

The advice you have received about getting instructional help is good and consistent with the current mind set about learning RC flying. However, it hasn't always been so, as prior to the widespread use of the buddy box, the usual learning process was to learn by trial and error. This does work. Try a flight, crash, identify the error, repair (or replace) the plane, try a flight, crash, identify the error ..... and so on. I know this works because that is how I learned RC flight. Eventually, most of the typical errors are experienced and corrected, physically and mentally. After a while, it becomes longer intervals between crashes untill the day when you bring home the plane in the same condition as when you left. I still remember that momentous day! I did have the benefit of having built and flown models (not RC) for many years before and building/reparing was not a big deal and was in fact a large part of the enjoyment of the hobby.

The urge to fly is a strong one, go for it in the best way, you choose. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:18 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Kudos to you for taking the time to learn what you could from the sim and RCU. But if your plane hasn't been flown, then it is not set up yet. The simulator is a nice tool to practice what your instructor is teaching you, but the downside is that every model on it is perfectly set up and trimmed. Your plane will not fly the same way on its first flight. I've been in the hobby 4 years and I do maiden my own planes, but I always get a second set of eyes on it beforehand in case I missed something. I've only had a problem caught one time that way, but it probably did save my airplane. Resist the urge to get antsy now and go out hoping that everything will go ok. Of course, it might, but there are so many variables that the odds are against you. Even something as simple as the elevator trim being off can cost a beginner a crash.

Paul

Old 02-16-2011, 08:49 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, to add on to what others (and myself) have said above. Simulators have perfectly setup planes. And you have said that you have checked everything on your plane to ensure that it's right. This is absolutely normal for anybody setting up an new plane. For instance, you have set your ailerons, rudder, and elevator so they are perfectly centered with the surfaces? Right? Of course, this is how it's supposed to be done. And that's exactly how we set up a plane the first time. Now, take that plane out to the flying field. Fuel it up, taxi it out, accelerate down the runway, and lift off. Now imagine that the plane IMMEDIATELY starts diving towards the ground and doing a hard roll to the right. What are you going to do?? You try to fly the plane but as soon as you put the stick back to the center the plane starts diving and rolling out of control again. Panic, panic, panic, crash!!!!

Please don't think this is an exaggeration. This is actually an absolutely normal situation when you maiden a new airplane. It's called trimming out the plane for level flight. Even though you centered all of your controls before you started out they will still need to be adjusted so the plane will fly level. There is nothing wrong with the plane, this is normal. In fact, it's not abnormal to see a plane with the radio sticks centered and the control surfaces noticeable deflected. Heck, I've had planes with 1/4" of deflection on the ailerons when the radio was centered. As I said, this is normal. And this is what the first flight (maiden flight) on an airplane is all about. You are flying it to adjust it (trim) it out so that it flies level when the radio is centered. Not every experienced pilot can do maiden flights. I've seen pilots with 10+ years of experience have others do the maiden flights on their planes for them.

There is nothing wrong with having others maiden planes as not everybody has the nerves to do it. Why should an experienced pilot need "nerves" to maiden a plane?? Consider this. They are on a plane that they have more than likely never flown before. It is an unproven airframe and may or may not be airworthy. The plane is more than likely out of trim. Now on take off the pilot must IMMEDIATELY start evaluating many different things. Is the engine running right? Do have adequate power? Is the plane airworthy? Is the plane flying correctly? Are the controls responding? What controls need adjusting? And this is in a perfect world. No imagine that they have to start dealing with any of those conditions that are not right? What if the plane is so far out of trim that you can't even take your fingers off of the sticks to adjust the trim? This can and does happen. This is why I ALWAYS have somebody go out with me when I am trimming a plane. If this happens all I can do is keep the plane flying and in the air, and they can make the trim adjustments on the plane.

Ok, so what is my point?? I'm trying to show you that the plane is more than likely NOT perfect. When you take off not only are you going to have to deal with trying to fly it. But you are also going to be dealing with a plane that is out of trim and will need to be trimmed for level flight. As many others, including myself, have said, that simulator has perfect planes on it. They are always in trim which gives people a false sense of security.

Please, please, please get an experienced pilot to help you out.

Hope this helps

Ken</p>
Old 02-16-2011, 08:53 AM

to answer your orginial question "do you think I am ready" yes you are ready........ to begin to learn....are you ready to fly alone....NO...
Your airplane costs....you've invested time...why not protect your investment and get with an instructor...if you are truely ready you will have a quick flight..then solo.....My guess is you'll need some fine tuning...
Good Luck
Old 02-16-2011, 12:31 PM

I remember when my instructor took up my second plane for the first time quite a few years ago. I had it setup perfectly. Ailerons, elevators, rudder, all in perfect alignment. That thing should have flown perfectly straight right off the deck. Should have. But it didn't. As soon as the plane broke ground it was all over the place. The instructor, a very good experienced pilot, was do'in the dance as it went this way, then that way, up, down. He was all over the place. And that was all in about the first 2 seconds. I did not have the kind of reflexes yet to save a situation like that. It would have been a smoking hole at the end of the runway. Once he got it level and straight, he trimmed it just a little here and there to fly straight and easy.

Get an instructor.

skeeter
Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 PM
My Feedback: (6)

I started flying 2 years ago and when I got my first trainer i took it to the field and was "ready to fly". I spent 2 hours learning what truely ready to fly was. I then had an instructor maiden it. I spent the next few hours learning the great art of mechanical adjustments. Then at the end of the day I got to fly this plane.Just a few weeks ago I tried to maiden my own plane. Now I have learned a lot of things about trim and adjusting and compensating while flying. It made all the difference to the survival of that plane. I kept it flying and had a friend with me that could help me adjust trims. If you want to practice trimming a plane some sims can do that. I practiced on Real flight by throwing the trims way out to lunch and then taking off and flying the patern a bit then attempting to trim on the up wind. All these skills take time to learn and most guys in a club or at a field know this and are happy to help find someone you are comfortable with and hang out with him at the field and away from the field. It is amazing what a mentor can tach you.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:22 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Hey jcoop65, whatever you do, make sure to come back and tell us. We are now too curious.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:24 PM
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with all that has been said about getting proper instruction, and it truely will save you lots of headaches. I started with an instructor, but after issues with finding time for lessons, 6 months later I bought a GP Yard Stick and went at it alone. I had taken off with my instructor, but had only done a few landing aproaches and was a lesson or two away from soloing. With the Yard Stick I took off, flight trimmed, flew a few times thru the pattern and then lined up with the runway and landed for the first time. I am sure if I had not taken the initial time with an instructor, my going at it alone would not have gone so well.

The one thing I don't agree with is the fear of doing your own maiden flight after you first or second plane. The only plane I have not maidened was my first, and with that I was taught propper set up and mechanics by my instructor. The only way to learn flight trimming is to do it... Is it scary sometimes? Of course! But I have not lost a plane doing so and have learned many lessons doing it myself. I don't suggest doing this until you have mastered the basics of flight, including deadsticks and a few self inflicted out of trim issues with your trainer. So long as your second plane is not past your skill level (ie: going from your trainer to a 3D type, Warbird, or Pattern plane) trimming should be no problem and it is better to learn on an easier to fly plane than one that is more advanced for sure. Why put it off?
Old 02-16-2011, 01:58 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Ok here i go, the plane is ready ,i feel ready. I have spent many long hours on the sim. I think i have the orintation down. I feel really good about the landing. Should i fly?

what type of plane are we talking here if you have a park flyer have at it ..
if its a 40 size trainer the odds might be aginst you but you would not be the frist person to maiden one , out come is probly not good, maybe a few really skilled pepole bring it back in one pice
Old 02-16-2011, 03:49 PM

First and foremost thank you all for your input and advice. It really seems everyone i talk too that is involved in this hobby wants to help, what a great <div>group of people. Now about my stuff, the plane is a nexstar arf, os .46fx with spektrum electronics. To me its the challenge of accomplishment, and i cant wait to fly. Ive followed the hobby for years, and finally picked up a good sim. about a year ago, it got me hooked. I have been to almost </div><div>all the fields in my area. I know i can fly i can feel it. Im sure ill find a good instructor first.</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>
</div>
Old 02-16-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great Idea. Get one or 2 flights with a buddy box, just to make sure before hand. You will also pick up on a whole bunch of small things here and there, and it's fascinating to watch some of the others fly, some good, some bad. That is to say, you may firsthand observe some things to "not" do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.