Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Transmitter trays >

Transmitter trays

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Transmitter trays

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:47 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Transmitter trays

I don't even use a strap. I've never had any trouble holding the radio with my cars, I don't forsee any trouble holding my plane radio either. Especially considering I'm only holding the latter for about a sixth as long.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:06 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the one from the rctrayman that was mentioned earlier.Saw the price on it at the Ama show in Ca and almost died can't believe a cheapskate like me would have spent that much but Ilove it!Also have several others all work good.Am very unconfortable trying to fly without it.Can let go of Tx to do trim on planes realy nice that way.As Isaid earlier the thing is Ican't stand to fly without it that is why I have several with various Tx in them!Guess everybody to there own choice!!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:42 PM

I went to germany and stayed there 14 months while at the uni...when was in my internship I could find a flying club locally to fly there, and all the people without exeption flw with what may be called the standard there...big radios that were a tray themselves... for the " american style" radios like my futaba 6exa fasst...Robbe (german distributor for futaba) had some trays for the radios...I bought one and immediately felt a very good difference... I could control more precisely the plane because my hands rest and could have better stick grip. It makes me fly more relaxed since I don´t have to hold anything... just rest my hands.
Now I´m looking to find a nice for my Aurora 9 (multiplex sells a very nice one! bit pricey too...) or maybe I just build one from wood,,,or maybe foam, glassed and painted...may look nice.

Germans swear about this type of radios/trays...the assure you you are going to have a better control. I find it true...but anyway, it depends on how you feel, and the way you get used to fly.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: LouisB

Why don't you don the belt only? You would therefore still be able to feel ''close to nature''. Just watch out for the prop blast, might just catch a cold on your....ahem....chest.

Sure. A middle-aged porker, tied in the middle with a leather belt. Now, how ridiculous would that be?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:46 AM

I use one of the aluminum versions that are out there but I don't use the palm supports. With the palm supports, it's difficult for me to "find" the sides of the transmitter as a reference point for locating other switches. Here are some of the reasons I like the tray (and not the strap):

1. The tray doubles as a transmitter stand when you are in the pits
2. I have bad allergies and in the summer usually need get my hands free momentarily
3. Better for handlaunching electrics
4. I'm a pincher flier; can't hold the transmitter good with two fingers on the sticks
5. I have bumped the throttle attaching the strap; probably should have left the strap on the transmitter
6. Loose strap on the neck gets in the way of the prop; same as above!
7. My 10 year old is using a tray too and its hard to jump in and help him at times
8. The palm supports get in the way of the charge ports on the side of the transmitter; charge port in the rear on some older JR...thats a pain too.
9. I LOVE the ribbing everyone at the field gives me about my tray, its constant
10. The tray hooks over the top of a bucket seat really nicely for holding your transmitter while you drive
11. One hand is always free to gesture to your friends who are mocking your slow roll skills

Hey, thanks for the fun thread!

Tom
Old 04-12-2011, 03:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good post. Thanks for the hints. Some that I never even considered.. hand launching electrics, for instance. Good point.

As I said, I used one from time to time, different types. Robart had one that was foam with a cup-can holder.. of course, for a soft drink.. [X(] No, I never use other types of beverages at the field, by the way.. well, maybe coffee or water.

I had another one that was quite expensive, made of what looked like plexiglass. It lasted me about three months. It split right down the middle.

Good point about the hand gesture, though

No ribbing, though, because a lot of the guys use them, especially the pattern folks. One in particular was from a company in California that is no longer in business. Very nice. It was made from wood, and had pads for the hands to rest on. From what I could see, the design did not obscure access to switches. The pilot was using an Airtronics Stylus transmitter, which I believe is a 9 channel transmitter, so lots of switches. My most complex transmitter that I own is the Spektrum DX7 so it's not that complicated.

One that I did have, used thumb screws to hold the transmitter down. I accidentally overtightened it and broke the plastic handle at the top of the TX. It was an Airtroics RD6000 tx.

CGr.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:29 PM

I have been using a tray ever since I switched from a single stick transmitter to dual stick 4 years ago. With single stick you have a firm hold on the transmitter, it stays in place with constant orientation, and you can move your hand away from the stick to adjust trims or swat flies. I was never confortable holding the dual stick transmitter even with a neck strap. I too grasp the sticks between thumb and forefinger, just like I did the single stick transmitter.

Bruce
Old 04-16-2011, 07:21 AM

Thank you for generating the initial post. I too was contemplating about a tray due to the way I am currently holding the DX8 with the neck strap. I am thinking that a tray is an "investment" for me and that I will be both safer and more relaxed when flying.

So far i always had to worry if the curvature of my belly will make the TX slip and my controls will be moved at the wrong time !!

I went ahead and ordered the RC Trayman product from Kevin (NJ distributor) and a great guy let me tell you ... We met yesterday and he showed me his case. He went out of his way to ensure I would be happy before I bought it ...

Outcome: A new excellent tray and a good friend to fly with ... Now, what more can you ask ????

I enjoy the personal touch and the extra mile that hobbyist like ourselves take EVERY single day in order to promote the enthusiasm of flying !!!

Good day folks!
Old 04-16-2011, 11:34 AM

As I said in the original post, I was inspired by a thread in the Pattern forum. That's where the credit is due.

CGr.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Crash Campbell

Hi CGRetired,

I don't use one but one of our club members sells them along with a host of other R/C stuff. The adhesives are amazing.

http://www.christiantraders.com.au/

Cheers,

Colin
mine looks identical to the one on this site. it came from jv trading in norway.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:09 AM

Morning
Im using one -custom made found at a swap meet m made with nice thick smoked plexe and has built up side rest and excelant balance
I use industrial velcro to hold tramsmitters on and can change easly to another or to charge them

Best dang thing I have dune and only cost 30 bucks and 5 for velcro-extra velcro used to stick neighbor kids to garage wall , only works for under 4 year olds ,all rest -well ya all can finish sayin what ya want bout um

ME- I just lik to hav fun and jok round