Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Rudder on takeoff help >

Rudder on takeoff help

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Rudder on takeoff help

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Rudder on takeoff help

Hi!
Did you balance it in axial direction?
Old 07-12-2012, 07:33 AM

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Yep, perfectly balanced. One sweet flying plane, even with a cracked wing
Old 07-17-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add to what grey beard posted: he is correct in stating that adding up elevator will increase tail wheel contact allowing for better control. I have found that with many of my WWI and WWII tail draggers that I hold in up elevator just long enough to get the plane tracking straight, then I feed in down elevator to get the tail up, which lets the rudder kick in with the added tail wash from the prop.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:12 AM

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Figured out why I had so little control on take off, I had the low rate set on the rudder, and switched it to high rates.  I was tending to over correct on takeoff because it didn't react right away, so last night after I switched to high rate, the take off was SOO much better. A touch of rudder, like I am used to on the Kadet, was all it took to keep it straight. It's not that I didn't know how to take off, I was doing it right all along, just didn't have enough rudder control!   Learn something new every time.  Like what the hell was that that fell off the plane??<div>
</div><div>A wheel pant came off towards the end of the flight, now its somewhere out in the corn field.  </div>
Old 07-18-2012, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to invest in a wheel pant locator
Old 07-18-2012, 12:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most of mine are on the shelf over my workbench. If Ifly a model and the pants cause grief in the grass they go onto that shelf. Right now there are four sets of pants side-by-side there. Ihaven't figured out why some work OK on .40 size models but then those on a 1.20 or even 1.80 size model with 4" tires won't track well.

But then Isee the wheel pants for the full-size Cessna 195 at our airfield stay in the hanger; so Idon't feel so bad.