Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
gas engine compaired to nitro >

gas engine compaired to nitro

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

gas engine compaired to nitro

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:54 AM
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas engine compaired to nitro

What does a 10cc gas engine compare to in 2 stroke nitro in power? The gas engine is a Evolution EVOE10GX.
Thanks, Chester

Last edited by chestervw; 02-21-2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-21-2014, 09:36 AM

It depends upon the engine.

It could be the equivalent of glow engines ranging in size from .25 through .75 depending upon compression, porting, intake size, etc.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:52 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in most of the applications where i've seen a 10cc gas engine used, the specs called for a 60 sized nitro. Otherwise, opjose made a very good point.

Rafael
Old 02-21-2014, 02:24 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rafael23cc
in most of the applications where i've seen a 10cc gas engine used, the specs called for a 60 sized nitro. Otherwise, opjose made a very good point.

Rafael
What he said. 10cc is going to be a good power plant for planes made for a .60 sized nitro engines. The issues you are going to run into with when going with a gas engine in a 60 sized plane is that you are going to have to find a place for an ignition unit and an extra battery pack to run the ignition.

Hope this helps

ken
Old 02-21-2014, 03:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here are just some thoughts. OK due to the historically never ending horsepower creep I see many perhaps most who have 'Sixty' size airpanes actually installing typically upwards of ,91's these days.

Now recently four of us have purchased the new OS 15cc gasser, I have not installed mine yet and I am trying it for an entirely different purpose than the other three that I will get to in a minute. The other three all formerly used .91 four strokes of various types and the airplanes are actually Senior Cadets! Huh, ya you see I run a series of pylon races just for two classes of senior cadet and the gold class limit is 1.00 ci or 15cc.

Well while the engine has proven to be superb its actually working out to be less power and a slower airplane.

Now when one wants to place a 10cc engine in a Sixty size? Well I got a problem and feel many will be disappointed perhaps just me but I personally would only consider a 10cc as a replacement for a 'Forty' size engine, that is when the goals are what most people want them for. Back to my 15cc OS the purpose is not speed or blazing performance but fuel economy and the need to lift a gallon of fuel off the water with one of my cross country airplanes.

John
Old 02-21-2014, 04:35 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't it true that for a given HP output, gas engines are still heavier / more complex than glow? I'm not trying to start anything, just curious. Personally, I don't want to deal with the added complexity of ignition systems & batteries for gas motors...
Old 02-21-2014, 07:17 PM

Yes Rv7 and as RC Ken noted above to remember the ignition module, engine battery supply, second switch and charge jack for that battery and other attendant wiring. Also as the engine gets smaller these items do not.

The old advice that there is a demarcation line in aircraft size that limits a gas engine when compared in efficiency with a two stroke glow. Now with better engines this line well is still there, may have shifted a little but not much.

John
Old 02-21-2014, 07:18 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shoot- I'm too in love with 4-stroke glow to ever change
Old 02-21-2014, 07:49 PM

Don,t ever fall out of love I ain,t never fell out of love with controlline neither as much as every one did there darnest to convince me too

John
Old 02-22-2014, 01:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chestervw
What does a 10cc gas engine compare to in 2 stroke nitro in power? The gas engine is a Evolution EVOE10GX.
Thanks, Chester
While it's the same capacity, a .61 sized nitro two stroke should have a little power advantage as I understand that the really small gassers like this lose out slightly in power to their two stroke nitro cousins.
Not to mention that they are heavier with their ignition and battery requirements when installed in a 'smaller' aircraft where weight reduction is perhaps more crucial.
That said, I have a DLE20 in my H9 '60' sized 65" P51 mustang, and of course am running gas in my 73" Sbach342 as I like the idea of cheap & clean flights without getting oil all over my airframes, well that and I "PERSONALLY" am not a fan of electric as I feel it lacks soul.
The only nitro model I have now is my 50 sized heli.

Last edited by kiwibob72; 02-22-2014 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:31 PM

Go gas and don't look back!!
Old 02-24-2014, 12:36 PM

You don't have to run a second battery and switch for the ignition.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:49 PM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by 600Bob
You don't have to run a second battery and switch for the ignition.
True, there is a device called an IBEC that will power the ignition off the RX and you will be able to switch the ignition off via your TX. I agree that finding a place for the ignition module could be an issue. IMO Gas just isn't a good way to go until you get 30cc or larger.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
True, there is a device called an IBEC that will power the ignition off the RX and you will be able to switch the ignition off via your TX. I agree that finding a place for the ignition module could be an issue. IMO Gas just isn't a good way to go until you get 30cc or larger.
I had a 17cc in a Thunder Tiger Cloud Dancer which has a very narrow fuselage and it was a tight fit. Loved that plane but it met it's expiration date That engine is now in the 60 size Hangar 9 P-47, lots of room for gas components.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:52 PM

Becs, regulators work too...

But for sheer simplicity I've been using LiFe packs on the ignition... works great, easy to charge ( in 15minutes! ) and a 2000mAh LiFe weights far less than a 800mA NiCD pack.