Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Which battery charger is best >

Which battery charger is best

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Which battery charger is best

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which battery charger is best

What battery charger would be good for into planes. I need one to charge transmitter and receiver batteries. Also to discharge batteries. There are so many out there and most are overkill for what I need.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What type of batteries are you planning to charge? NiCd? NiMH? LiFePO4? LiPO? Li-Ion?
Old 04-25-2014, 06:29 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The Imax B6 will serve your needs. You'll need a 12v power supply for it. You can convert a PC power supply to use with it for a low cost option, or buy a commercially produced power supply for a few dollars more. The battery in your car or a jumpstart box works really well also. I have a Triton EQ which cost about 4 times what the Imax does. It's a better quality piece of equipment and is AC/DC. I wouldn't trust the Imax with a high discharge/high performance Lipo as I've heard that the cell voltage detection isn't quite as accurate as it should be, but for your NiCd flight packs it will work fine.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nicd
Old 04-25-2014, 07:06 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
The Imax B6 will serve your needs. You'll need a 12v power supply for it. You can convert a PC power supply to use with it for a low cost option, or buy a commercially produced power supply for a few dollars more. The battery in your car or a jumpstart box works really well also. I have a Triton EQ which cost about 4 times what the Imax does. It's a better quality piece of equipment and is AC/DC. I wouldn't trust the Imax with a high discharge/high performance Lipo as I've heard that the cell voltage detection isn't quite as accurate as it should be, but for your NiCd flight packs it will work fine.
+1. very decent low cost charger.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+2
I have one and it serves me well.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by L8cruiser
Nicd
Even though you are using nicads now, if you stay in the hobby, you will eventually expand to various battey chemistries.

Charger that work with differing chemestries are relatively low cost, and you may want to consider one when you make your purchase.

I have, and like this Hitec charger. https://www.servocity.com/html/hitec...i-charger.html
Old 04-27-2014, 02:50 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll disagree on getting a charger to allow for future use. I have 1 charger, and frequently wish for two. The Imax B6 will work fine for his NiCds and then later a Triton EQ or Hyperion charger will do nicely for high performance lipos.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:13 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well just for thought's an ACCU-Cycle plus can be had at a reasonable coast if you are NOT looking forward, But just my 2 penny's worth I would go with the Triton EQ or the 2EQ I have all three and they give great service.

cheers