Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Wing not straight >

Wing not straight

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Wing not straight

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 08:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wing not straight

One side of the wing was damaged after a crash. In rebuilding this side of the wing the dihedral became off by some 10 mm downward compared to the other wing side dihedral . Wing span is 72 inches .Do you think this situation will make the plane unstable? Cheers
Old 06-03-2017, 01:41 AM
My Feedback: (3)

The plane won't be unstable but the wing with less dihedral will lift more than the other wing, making it want to turn in the direction higher wing and difficult to turn in the other direction. Can you shim the wing saddle under the lower wing to even out the dihedral on both sides?
Old 06-03-2017, 02:39 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

If you are talking dihedral you shim the wing saddle on the fuselage so the dihedral is even with the tail feathers? If so that is an easy fix your plane will just have a little less overall dihedral than before 5 mm per side and you will never know or feel the difference.

If you are talking twist in the wing or wash out/wash in you may be out of luck unless you tear apart the wing and rebuild it straight.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 06-03-2017 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:11 AM

Yes I am asking about dihedral not a wing twist .Thank you gentlemen very easy solution of using the saddle to balance the dihedral of the wings .Great

Many thanks , Riadh