Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Hello, is this a good idea for a flyer who has mastered a trainer? >

Hello, is this a good idea for a flyer who has mastered a trainer?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hello, is this a good idea for a flyer who has mastered a trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, is this a good idea for a flyer who has mastered a trainer?

Hello, I have just mastered a trainer and I'm looking for a 2nd plane.
I think the "R/C Nobler" is a good plane for me , however it's not meant for a 2nd plane flyer because it has flaps and retracts as well as ailerons, elevator, rudder, and throttle. One thing to take in mind is that the flaps and retracts are optional. Therefore, I'm asking if I should first build the plane with no flaps or retracts and when I get better, I can add on the flaps and retracts later.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:48 PM

Default RE: Hello, is this a good idea for a flyer who has mastered a trainer?

Why not just build it with the flaps and retracts so you will have them once your ready for them? Just because you go ahead and build it with them, does not mean you have to use them until your comfortable enough too.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:31 PM

there are a lot of good second planes. just look for one that is still a bit self righting, light, and innexpensive just incase the unthinkable happens. the one i have experiance with is the great planes easy sport, but other planes such as the sig 4* i have heard are geat second planes. Also, there are planes such as the magic x that are like the easy sport in design. they are light, innexpensive, but not self righting. they are tame until you crank up the throws. that may be a better way to go because when you crank up the throws, it is your third plane. one thing you may want to try is get a wing kit for your trainer, and take the dihedral out of it. it won't be quite as self righting, it will probably last you a bit longer as a plane, and help prepare you for a non self-righting plane
Old 10-06-2003, 07:18 AM

The GP Easy Sport is a great second plane. It will do loops, spins, inverted flight without too much elevator input, inverted rudder turns, rudder turns, slow flight, rolls, immelmans, and stall turns. It has been the perfect second plane for me.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:57 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would definitely shy away from retracts. They are a royal PIA. Don't get me wrong, I use them on planes that call for them and I love the way they look, but if I can avoid them, I do!

If it's your second plane, you need to spend your time getting good at flying, not fixing landing gear.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:40 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Although I've never flown an actual Nobler, I've flown it many times on the simulator, and in my opinion, judging by the way it handles on RealFlight, there are much better 2nd planes out there. (i.e., Four Star, Tiger 2) Oh, and I agree with Minn about the retracts!
Old 10-06-2003, 10:08 AM
My Feedback: (39)

Do yourself a favor and get a 4*60 or Super Sport. Both airplanes fly great and will last you a long time if taken care of.

Rick
Old 10-06-2003, 12:40 PM

Also, keep in mind that retracts are usually not as strong as fixed gear, so it's easier to damage your plane in a botched landing.