Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Prop Hole Size >

Prop Hole Size

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Prop Hole Size

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 04:29 PM
gwk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop Hole Size

I know I'm suppose to open the hole in the prop with a reamer. The reamer makes a tapered hole. Should I just open the hole so the prop fits a little tight to the engine shaft? Does the same apply for wood props as well as glass filled?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 10-06-2003, 05:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Prop Hole Size

The hole in your prop should obviously be the same size as the shaft. By a reamer they mean a prop reamer which will not leave a tapered hole. The prop should really be drilled with a drill press to assure that the hole is vertical in a flat lying prop. Props should be push fit, not a force fit, on the shaft. Grasp it by the tip and try to move it fore and aft. If it moves it needs be replaced and the proper hole drilled or reamed in the new one.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:30 PM

Default RE: Prop Hole Size

A proper sized reamer is far better than a drill press. In fact, I've alwasy read from the prop manufacturers never to drill a prop out, always use a reamer. But if you use a drill press and are really careful not to get off-center, you could, in theory use a drill. Personally, I'll stick to my reamer, as I know I'll get the center of the bit a hair off and wind up with a mis-shaped hole. Props are made from fairly soft stuff, espeically the various plastic ones, and a drill can make all kinds of badly shapped holes.

There are tapered reamers, and non-tapered reamers. The non-tapered ones are better for props, you get a reamer for the size of your engine's crankshaft. There are stepped and single size ones, depending on where you get them. The ones sold by the hobby shops are usually stepped and have several common sizes in one reamer.