Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
I soloed!!  COOL!! >

I soloed!! COOL!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I soloed!! COOL!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 11:13 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I soloed!! COOL!!

Holy cow!! I soloed yesterday!! Are you supposed to shake that bad?? I could hardly keep the thing in the air with how bad I was shaking. It was like DT shaking. It took me an hour to calm down so I could make another flight. That one ended up with a dead stick landing. Perfect landing but it was going a bit fast, OK it was hauling a**, when the wheels touched down. Used the whole length of runway and went out the back door, hit a dirt clod and gently rolled over on its lid. No damage.
Up until now this has just been something to do but now I AM HOOKED!! What an adrenaline rush. I can't believe it. This is amazing, I'm 35 and something like this gets me excited!! COOL!!!! The plane I built flies!!!

OK, I do have a question; Yesterday there was about a 3-5 mph wind coming straight across the runway. On my second takeoff roll the plane suddenly made a violent turn in the direction of the wind. The runway runs due east-west and the wind was coming out of the north. I made the run to the west and the plane violently turned south. It had so much speed and the edge of the runway was coming so fast that all I could think to do was pray and get altitude before the plowed field. What could I have done to prevent that or at least correct it?? For about a millisecond, I entertained the thought of cutting the throttle and aborting but it looked like I still would've coasted into the dirt.

My plane
Old 05-12-2002, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vacine;
It will come with experience but there is a way to slow down. Some of Us pattern flyers use a feature on our radio's to give about 10 deg of Down Aileron's which is now flaperon's. Using the Rudder and Throttle management you can Yaw the aircraft and slow it down fairly rapidly. Using the Flaperon's to keep the wings level.

I've taught people using just rudder and then correcting using Aileron on standard radio's. This isn't easy so you need to practice atleast 1 error high. until you get comfortable with the procedure.

Using the rudder is part of training so practice using that rudder to come in for cross wind landings, using your aileron's to keep the wings level. Some fairly good R/Cer's in this hobby still don't use rudder when the need arises itself.
Old 05-12-2002, 12:33 PM

It can be very touchy but even on your take off run you have to work the rudder to keep the plane going on a straight path be very careful not to over correct it could get ugly you will get the hang of it. This is not a hobby this is an addiction.Have fun a keep it flying.
Old 05-12-2002, 12:53 PM
My Feedback: (67)

Default CONGRADEULATIONS ON 1ST SOLO

Hello vacine,
Congradeulation,sound like you solo'ed twice 1) in Calm wind conditions, and cross wind conditions.Welcome to the world of cross controling Yes I had the shakes too. Oh but what a rush.I guess if Im flying in a cross wind I always make shure the wind is at my back if feesable. When taking off give it right rudder until the plane clears the ground and release rudder input.Then give the plane a bump or two of ailerone when the wind blows the plane away from you.Remember its like sterring a bike "Right bump to correct and left bump to level wings."
NEDYOB
Old 05-12-2002, 01:48 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Congrats Vac, I soloed 18 months ago and I still shake, I love it.
Old 05-12-2002, 02:13 PM

Way to go! I soloed in 1977...and still shake when flying a new airplane, and sometimes even the first flight of the day, or at the start of a combat meet. It's normal, and ya get used to it! It was explained to me years ago that the reason you shake is from either nervousness or excitment. The nervousness may ware off in time, but the excitment never does
Old 05-12-2002, 02:57 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

vacinekm
Way cool man...the shaking and rush is why we do this, it gets the adrenalin going like few other activities do. It's awesome feeling and one to go with.
When the shaking subsides a bit, it's time to go to next plane. Like a few others here, I soloed in mid 1970's, and the feeling is not forgotten. Still to this day, I get it when test flying a new plane. I really get it flying much bigger planes.

Just go with it...after a bit you'll want more, and more and more...you've been bitten by the bug man.

For those that have experienced this, no explanation is necessary, for those that have not...no explanation is possible.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:27 PM

vacinekm
Welcome to world of flight. I have been flying R/C since 1953 and am now 60 something and I still get a little weak and shakey in the knees when flying a new model. In '53 we didn't have training cords so every flight was a solo. took two airplanes and several crashes before I got one down in one piece and in the same field that we flow from. It's Great just keep it up and make your instructor happy by staying with the hobby and even becoming an instructor (the hobby needs them)!
Old 05-19-2002, 09:09 AM

That's great, cool, another r/c'er gets off the ground.

But there is one thing I do not understand, In full size aviation, I fly with my dad ( only 16, getting heli PPL soon) in our Cessna 172, the tail gets pushed by the wind, placing the plane slightly more into wind, ie, like a weather-cock. You said that the wind was coming from the North , on you right( if executing a Westward takeoff), then why did you plane turn south, or was it pushed south(lateraly), i think it should have weathercocked to the north ? Something doesnt' gel there to my mind, otherwise you just it got mixed up when u typed the post.

Any way, thats just my 2c.
Good flying for now, Cheers
Ledz
Old 05-19-2002, 10:12 AM

Nope, the post is correct. It seemed like the plane got pushed south. That was only my second take-off by myself and I probably over corrected for torque steer. Plus, the wind didn't help matters either.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:14 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WTG

WTG vac...i shake too :spinnyeye ..to answer yur question on yur takeoff roll...it had to be a combination of the crosswind getting under yur right wing and the engines left torque......
Old 05-19-2002, 10:23 AM

yeah , I tink Tinman has got the answer in part with you mayby not correcting for the cross, anyway, your cross-wind t/o's will only get better and more fun as you get more consistant and experienced.

Keep practising, Cheers
Ledz
Old 05-19-2002, 04:42 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Vacine,
Congrats on your solo! Sounds like you did very well. I fly for a living in addition to R/C, and the R/C aircraft behave just like the big ones. An airplane is an airplane no matter the size. I would have to say that your left turn was caused exactly for the reasons tinman suggested. Wind will get underneath the upwind wing if you don't give the airplane a little bit of aileron input into the wind. If you imagine yourself in the cockpit, just put a little bit of pressure on the stick in the direction the wind is coming FROM. Just how much is necessary is a function of how strong the wind is. As a beginner, you will not be flying on very windy days, so a little bit will be more than enough. As the airplane picks up speed, less aileron is required. You have to "feel" how much you need. Airplanes with props that turn clockwise from the cockpit perspective like to turn to the left due to torque and something called "P-Factor" This causes the airplane to prefer to turn left even in calm wind conditions. This is more pronounced at slow airspeeds and high power settings...exactly those conditions found during takeoff. A little right rudder is normally used during takeoff. Not much, but enough to correct the problem. It's a lot easier said than done especially in R/C airplanes. Pick up a book on basic aerodynamics and you can learn a lot that will help you out, and it will be explained for you much better than we can do here. Again, congratulations on your solo! Enjoy!
Old 05-19-2002, 06:50 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Congradulations on your acheivement.
Next will be your first crash!!!

Just Kidding
Old 05-19-2002, 09:51 PM

Vacinekm:
Trainers with flat bottom wings and lots of dihedral have a tendency to roll as the wind gets under the wing and the dihedral aggravates the situation. With experience you will learn to compensate for this. Another way to make take offs easier in cross wind conditions is to angle the plane into the wind as much as possible, our field is wide enough that cross runway take offs away from the flight line is possible. By the congrats on the solo!!!
Old 05-20-2002, 01:06 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Congratulations Vacine!!
The answer to your questions about what happened on your second flight has pretty much been taken care of. But, I will say one thing......there's only "ONE" feeling I like that better than flying model aircraft, and you know what I mean
Keep a fly'n Jim
Old 05-20-2002, 10:33 AM

What would that be? Landing!
Old 05-20-2002, 12:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Zebra, Although I've never had a woman make me shake (unless it was from exhaustion afterwards). And when your lady isn't exciting anymore, you can't just replace her (I think that's why a lot of us fly ) Anyway, congrats on the solo, and remember, when you stop shaking, you have two choices: 1) move up to the next step. Or 2) Go out to the field with the plane you're comfortable with and just enjoy flying the wings off it!