Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
tiger trainer 60 and oversized tires >

tiger trainer 60 and oversized tires

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

tiger trainer 60 and oversized tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tiger trainer 60 and oversized tires

I have a tiger trainer in the 60 size and I was talking to another gentleman and he was saying that I could put oversized tires on my plane and it would handle better on rough ground as well as in taller grass. I dont know how much he knows about this hobby other than he does fly so before I go and do this and possibly regret it I thought I would see if anyone had some insight.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:09 AM
Banned

You can put up to 4 inch dia wheels on a .60 size trainer. There will be some added drag (a click or two of up elevator trim as speed increases, because the drag is below thrust line) and some added weight... but nothing really serious, as a .60 size trainer can EASILLY carry 3 lbs of ballast. (some can carry over 5 lbs...) and you're just adding a few ounces.

Larger wheels do go over rough terrain easier than small wheels and going up 1/2 to 3/4 inch from what the instructions specify... really helps when the field needs mowing.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:24 PM

I scratch built a 50 " windspan plane called a Tern with a .25 engine in it. With the small wheels on it, it stuck to the ground like glue. So I put 3 3/4 " tires on it and it solved the problem like magic. It looks a little goofy with those big wheels under it but I just say its a bush plane with tundra tires.

Roodester
Old 03-02-2003, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the info I just recently moved to this area so I have to check out the field but I might still go with the larger tires now that I have a idea what to expect.