Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
What do you think? >

What do you think?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think?

I recently was searching the net for a random assortment of tips and tricks for my favorite PC games when I came across SPADs. Don't ask how really I don't know but that was what google put as the #1 site in my search. Anywho, being the overly obsessed n00b that I am and the simple truth that money won't grow on the trees in my yard, I began to look around and see SPADs and want to build one. This is where my question comes in, what are the ups and downs of SPADs? Could a inexpirecned fly such as my self benifit from flying one verses flying a balsa plane? Are SPADs really as indestructable and cheap as they are advertised?

Well thanks a ton
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2003, 08:28 AM

Im glad that you have stumbled upon on of the great assests of the hobby. SPADS are fun to fly. They are not indestructable, but they are as close as you will get to indestructable. For years I picked on the Aircore .40 (a spad trainer type plane). But last year I bought a Pizza box just to try b/c it was only $10. I really enjoyed this plane and now I have built several other spads and I am producing .25 sized modified qhors as Hovering trainers. If you have no experience at R/C a spad would be fine, but I do highly reccomend you finding an instructor.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:18 PM

Ok, if they are as cheap as they sound and easy to build (Because I have no talent at building) I'm sold. The only thing I can figure out is where to get the Coroplast and other materials. anyone that can get me a cheap connection?
Old 08-04-2003, 08:36 AM

I get my coro from the sign shops. I find that most of these ppl will be glad to sell you a sheet of whatever size you want and generally seem intrested in what you are doing. I have a sign shop now wanting to "sponsor" me. They are looking for a free way to advertise. You can ask them if they have any scraps of the sticker stuff they cut the lettering out of you can buy. I have found most of them will give you some of the scraps just to get it out of their way.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:28 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Those big 'Home reno'vation depots are a good source for coroplast too. As well as some quality art supply stores..

Also, if there is an election in your area, the candicdates are usually advertised on coroplast sheets / signs. Rip one or two down after teh election (or before, if you don't like the guy!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] )