Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Question about buddy boxing >

Question about buddy boxing

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Question about buddy boxing

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 02:33 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about buddy boxing

A new friend of mine asked me to help him learn to fly. He went out and bought the buddy cord to link up both our radios. I fly Hitec (Eclipse 7) he flys Futaba. Anyhow, we're on separate channels? How does this setup work? Which is the slave and which would be the master? I've had other students, but have always used their radios and buddy box system setups.

Thanks,
Old 09-27-2004, 02:46 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Question about buddy boxing

It doesn't matter that the radios are on different channels. The radio transmitter that is on the same channel as the receiver in the plane will be the "master" and the other the buddy box. The power for the buddy box must be off; a Futaba buddy box will work without any battery installed. I doubt, however, if the buddy system will work at all if one is Hitec and the other Futaba. Try it out on the ground to see if it can be hooked up and if so, whether it appears to work properly.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:49 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I'm no expert at this but... The instructors box is the master and the one
thats powered up and the ant. is also up, The slave or trainees radio is I
think, off (I could be wrong) with the ant. down.. The slave gets everything
from the master radio once the instructor activates the trainer function..
Now both radios should match the trim set-up and any servo reversing as
need be.. I'm not sure if Hitec and Futaba will work together... I thought
both radios had to be of the same make...
Old 09-27-2004, 02:57 PM

He went to the hobby shop and was sold a cord that he said would link up our radios. Not sure, I haven't seen him or the setup yet since the purchase. Ok, to review, so I'll have to fly with his tx (master) and he'll have to fly with mine (slave). Considering that it'll all work. Also, my radio (the one in his hands) needs to be turned off and the antenna in the down position?
Old 09-27-2004, 03:14 PM

That's how I was shown to use and I used the trainer system... But this
was on the same transmitter brand.. Once you get together check it
out on the ground.. If it works great... Don't forget to match both
radios to the plane's trim/servo reversing.. I.E. as the master turns
control to the slave with the sticks at the same location all servos
should stay in the same position...
Old 09-27-2004, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The buddy box cord for HiTec/Futaba is no problem - just make sure the cord is for the correct direction. The last I knew, The buddy box cords for Hitec to Futaba were designed two ways - one way was for the HiTec as master and the Futaba as slave and the other cord was the opposite - there was something about the HiTec that required the different cords. They may have changed this in the past couple of years.

If I remember correctly (It has been a "couple" of years since I was on a buddy box ), only the basic 4 channels will work and the dual rate, coupling, etc. will not work on the slave.

The "slave" radio needs to be turned off and the antenna can either be up or down (I prefer down on the slave ) - all the signals from the slave go through the master to the plane.

MAKE SURE YOU DO A GROUND CHECK to insure nothing is reversed on the slave and the trims are set the same (don't ask how I know about these items )

Check those items out and you should be all set.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:58 PM

Campy is correct except that the Futaba cord works OK in either direction. The Hitec cord may, or may not, have a diode in it. If it does, it will be marked as to which end is the master & vice-versa.

The student (slave) box must remain off at all times -- it is a good idea to remove the Tx crystal from the slave box to prevent an Oh ***** if it is accidentally switched on.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the great responses. I think I got it now. We're training with the Hobbico NexSTAR 46 Select using the package radio, probably should have said that since the get go. I flew it weekend before last and it's a nice flyer. I even gave him some stick time on it by simply passing the tx to him, but he wants to take no chances that's why he went out and purchased the cord(don't blame him). Before we start training, I'll make sure every thing is working the way it should and moving in the correct direction. I just wasn't sure who was going to hold who's radio not knowing which was the master and the slave. Thanks,
Old 09-28-2004, 09:55 AM

I will give you a suggestion that will save a lot of grief.

TURN OFF THE AFS !!! The AFS will cause more problems than it is worth AND will also teach the student habits that will need to be unlearned later.

Do a search on NexStar and/or AFS here and you will see what I mean.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When using a Futaba and Hitec together, you must use the Hitec trainer cord and make sure that the master and slave side is correctly connected, i.e. master being the one controling the aircraft (receiver and transmitter on same frequency) and the slave being the other transmitter. Keep the power switch off on the slave and antenna down on the slave. If you were to try to use a Futaba trainer cord, both transmitters would be on even if you had the switch off on the Hitec trainer box. I'm assuming that you are using the Futaba as master and the Hiteck as slave.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:40 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my HT Prism w/ Spectra module to train anyone with a Futaba (round connector) radio. My HT cord has an end marked "Student" and the other end marked "Master". If hooked up the other way, won't work.

I believe with the Nexstar radio, you will need an adapter. It has a rectangular shaped plug, if I recall correctly.

I commend you for helping people learn. Don't be timid about letting go of that switch; let go, and ask questions later, or explain later.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 09-28-2004, 12:17 PM

Rodney is right, and mentions a key thing. When mixing the two brands, you REALLY want the Hitech cord that is labeled for master and student. The Futaba cords are not labeled. There have been some combinations of Futaba and Hitech where both wound up transmitting, or where one or the other was damaged. But if you use the Hitec cable you won't have any problems at all.

Persaonlly, I've used a Hitech as the master and an old Futaba buddy box (no battery, no crystal, no antenna installed) as the student, using a futaba cable, with no problems.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:59 PM

One other piece of advice. To check trims and reverses I hook the boxes together and turn the master and the receiver on and set the throttles exactly the same on both boxes. Flip the buddy switch on and off and the control surfaces and throttles basically shouldn't move. Then, one at a time, simultaneously test each control surface and direction by giving "full" input in both directions. I,e. move give full right aileron on each box at the same time, then flip the buddy switch back and forth. Again, there should be no change in the plane when you flip the buddy switch. Repeat for all surfaces in all directions (full left aileron, full up and down elevator, etc).

Note also that reverse switches must be the same on both transmitters and, if the slave is a computer radio, it must be programmed to be completely neutral (no expo, no dual rates, etc.) and the reverses must be the same as the master. I used my 6XAS as a slave to a non computer radio and I just created an additional model in the memory that had the buddy box settings.

-Scott
Old 09-28-2004, 02:07 PM

The issue of the Futaba & Hitec cords is interesting. We frequently use Futaba cords with a "mixed" Futaba-Hitec Tx combo & have never had a problem of any description. Maybe that is because we remove the Xtal from the slave. If the Hitec cord is used, you definately have to have it correctly oriented.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: cruzomatic

Thanks for the great responses. I think I got it now. We're training with the Hobbico NexSTAR 46 Select using the package radio, probably should have said that since the get go. I flew it weekend before last and it's a nice flyer. I even gave him some stick time on it by simply passing the tx to him, but he wants to take no chances that's why he went out and purchased the cord(don't blame him). Before we start training, I'll make sure every thing is working the way it should and moving in the correct direction. I just wasn't sure who was going to hold who's radio not knowing which was the master and the slave. Thanks,
I learned on my NexStar with the exact configuration you state - my instructor had an Eclipse and I used the Futaba as the slave - it worked fine.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:45 PM

More great responses. Thanks guys, I appreciate them.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:13 PM

Then, one at a time, simultaneously test each control surface and direction by giving "full" input in both directions. I,e. move give full right aileron on each box at the same time, then flip the buddy switch back and forth. Again, there should be no change in the plane when you flip the buddy switch. Repeat for all surfaces in all directions (full left aileron, full up and down elevator, etc).
Matching both the master and slave boxes at full surface deflection is not important and can't always be easily done. If the slave box is a non-computer radio there is no way to adjust the end points and adjusting the master isn't always feasible. Just make sure the slave box doesn't produce more surface deflection than the master as this will make the sticks touchy for the student. It is important to make sure the surfaces are matched on both boxes at neutral as this is where they will be when control is shifted to the student. The throttle positions should be set on both boxes at a comfortable speed for the student and so the speed does not change when control is given to the student.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:20 PM

the instructor for me let me try the plane out on pass trx i felt uncomfortabe about this so i told him and went and purchased a trainer cord he also gave (loaned me a futuba trx) dthat he removed crystals and battery pulus antenna. this lets my trx control the plane while i fly withe the old trx works great.