Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
60 trainer, does the sig senior kadet qualify >

60 trainer, does the sig senior kadet qualify

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

60 trainer, does the sig senior kadet qualify

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60 trainer, does the sig senior kadet qualify

Help,
My friend and I want to purchase a trainer to start to flying R/C. We were told that the Sig Senior Kadet would work. After contacting the Sig company, they said that they wouldn't advise the mix.
The purpose is to save money as always, why buy a 40 trainer and then advance to a 60, where one engine would work for two different planes.
Does any one have an opinion about this subject?

Thanks,
Top Hat 1
Old 09-01-2002, 10:37 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Default Sig Kadet Senior

If it doesn't qualify why did they just introduce a new ARF version with ailerons (the original doesn't have any)? If you want to build this plane with ailerons you need to reduce the dihedral by half. Otherwise it is a great plane and BIG with over 6 feet of span. There are threads on this site with modifications made to this plane. I have one partially built and plan on a larger motor than originally used.

Go for it. Just use the throttle.

EXCAP232
Old 09-02-2002, 02:16 AM
My Feedback: (2)

I would go with the LT-40 kit and a TT .46 Pro engine. It is made for ailerons. A 60 sized motor is too much, but like Excap said, just use less throttle. You might have trouble slowing down though...
Old 09-02-2002, 04:28 AM

Default Try Midwest

Midwest makes a very nice 60 size trainer, the aerostar 60. It's been discontinued though I'm sure they can be found. I've seen it with both 2 stroke 60's and 4 stroke 91's. It's flys better with the .91.

There is a guy at my club who has an LT40 with a 60 2 stroke and tuned pipe. That also flys very well, though he reinforced much of it for this combo. I was thinking of throwing a .91 4c in one just for the heck of it.
Old 09-02-2002, 11:33 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Check out this site: http://home.earthlink.net/~pjburke1/kadets.htm

I have had several .60 powered Sr Kadets over the years.....both with and without ailerons....they fly just like the original .40 powered....but with more power for takeoff....and land just like a .40 powered one......just gotta learn throttle management...........
most of the time I flew at about1/4-1/3 throttle.......

here is a pic of one converted to a Cub by a buddy of mine.....:

http://www.********.net/forums/showt...2243#post12243
Old 09-02-2002, 08:00 PM

A kit built Kadet Senior will not handle a sixty size engine unless you beef it up in some areas. I built one and put a ninety four stroke in it. I added sheeting in the engine and cabin area, leading and trailing wing edges, tail sections. I also added ailerons and flaps. I would not advise trying this on your first kit. You would be better off getting a kit designed for a sixty engine, or go with a forty size kit and engine. I would imagine the ARF Kadet Senior has had some of these things done to it and it still only recommends a 40-46 size engine.

CaptKAOS, those are some great looking Kadets.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:15 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Dave,
I have had several of the .60 powered kits....only thing I ever did different was to move the radio gear to balance.....otherwise stone stock......never had one fall apart......

One modification I would suggest though....even for the .40 size engines for the kit.....run a stringer of 1/4 inch hard balsa or spruce from the stringer under the horizontal stablizer all the way to the firewall.....strengthens the fuse........and wont let it break behind the wing....... The stringer under the stabilizer and the stringer at the bottom of the side windows are almost in line.....

You will have to cut the vertical supports at the back and front of the cabin to allow the stringer to pass through.....

I have done this modification since I flew my first Senorita and the fuse broke at the back of the wing....... Originally I only ran the extra stringer to the front of the cabin.....but then a friend in Roswell NM tried one with a stringer to the firewall......kept the nose intact....... Try it..you'll like it.....
Old 09-03-2002, 01:04 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Is the LT 40 a 60 sized trainer, or is it just a huge 40 sized trainer???

LT-40 SPECS:
Wingspan: 70"
Wing area: 900 sq in.
Weight: 5.5 - 6 lbs.
Wing Loading: 14-15 oz/sq ft
Length: 56"

PT60 Specs:
Wingspan: 71"
Wing Area: 888 sq. in.
Length: 53.25"
Wing loading: 18-21 oz/sq ft
Weight: 7-8lbs.
Airfoil: Flat-Bottom, High-Wing

These are "Things that make you go hummmm". Maybe they should put the PT60 on a diet so that it can take a .40 sized engine? As for strength, my LT-40 is pretty strong, just don't ask how I know!

I power mine with an OS .46 FX and an 11X4 APC prop. Love the combo since it takes off like a rocket ship, but keeps the top end speed down, and landing speed even lower.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:15 PM

I just thought it needed some extra "BEEF", I'm not very gentle on my planes.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:43 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Basic Trainer

Global right flyer 60 w a sixty size motor, just put it together per instructions, flys great, slows down good, handles the wind great and is big enough for old eyes to see if needed. been flying one all year to learn and now has a magnum 91 in it, yeah baby cubic inches rule
Old 09-04-2002, 03:23 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Kadet Senior is arguably one of the most successful single trainers in RC history and will handle a sixty size engine with no mods whatsoever. Now having said that they have been bashed into almost every imaginable configuration possible including: twins, triples, Quads, floatplanes, flying boats, push/pull twins, pushers, night flyers, candy/water bombers, low wings, biplanes, cross country airplanes and glider tugs or carriers. It is an extremely versatel airplane and will do precisely what you want Top Hat.

Now The new ARF version has an eighty inch wing which makes it usable in some large scale events and it does have ailerons with reduced dihedral and will require no mods as mentioned above.

I always keep several around one is a night flying float ship another is my current x-country airplane and all of mine in the past were two stroke sixty powered. My latest that should fly next month has four engines in the wings (still deciding on those probably OS FP .20's).

I would like to add the LT -40 is a fine trainer also and probably the most popular today.

John
Old 09-05-2002, 02:10 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I have .70 four stroke on mines and it flies great. YOu just have to setup real well on landing and bleed offf as much speed as possible.