Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 RADIO confusion >

RADIO confusion

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

RADIO confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RADIO confusion

Hi,

I am looking for a Radio system for myself that I will be able to use for all of the planes that I end up doing. I am also worrying about frequencies. I would love something that can change frequency if there is such a thing... ok so anyways im really confused. THANKS!
Old 03-06-2005, 12:21 PM

Default RE: RADIO confusion

I am using the Futaba 9C, worth the money you spend initally to get one. I believe that you can buy a Synthesized module for it in the States. In Canada it is Illegal, but the synthesized module should allow you to change frequencies.

Other than that, why don't you just buy your radio first, then just buy all your recievers and use all that same channel(You can change crystals in a reciever). Its alot less confusing.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:33 PM

but wont just getting like a static chanel radio suck, because if someone else happens to use that channel.... yea. and what do crystals do?
Old 03-06-2005, 03:40 PM
My Feedback: (4)

crystals are what makes the channel change. Like on your reciever they can be interchangeable to swithc channels. I would like to say the FCC doesn't alow, but i am not completely sure
Old 03-06-2005, 03:59 PM

ok, why would it be illegal?
Old 03-06-2005, 04:10 PM
My Feedback: (2)

You can change channels but I think if your receiver is low band then stick with low band channels you cant switch from high band to low band I belive thats illigal. As long as you stick with low band crystals then you are fine, I think thats only with a futaba radio that has low and hi band, I dont think you have to worry with anything else. I am not 100% sure, someone here will know more than I do.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out the Hitec Optic6, when used with their Spectra module, it is just what you asked for. It allows you to just dial in any of the authorized RC aircraft channels used in the USA in the 72MHZ range. Also, to clarify the comment made above, in the USA it is not allowed for just anyone to change transmitter frequencies by changing crystals (doing it with the synthesized modules is legal) without having the output checked by an authorized technician or lab to insure that your change does not splatter outside the allowable bands. This can happen when you just change crystals as no two crystals are exactly alike even if marked for the same frequency and must be fine tuned to prevent spurious radiation patterns that might adversely effect those other users sandwiched in between our bands.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: wildwobby

ok, why would it be illegal?
In the States, you can change the crystal in a receiver to match the channel of the transmitter but the FCC says you can't just swap the crystal in a transmitter to change the channel. They are worried about bleed over to one of the intermediate frequencies between our channel frequencies, and therefore say it's illegal.

You can, however, use a synthesizer module to change channels, (as they more-or-less ensure accurate frequencies that don't bleed over) and you can also change the crystal on a transmitter provided you send it back to the manufacturer so they can fine tune it.

All this only applies to the States.

-David C.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:25 PM

o well, I guess i will just stick with a Futaba 7 chanel and hope no one else picks the chanel I do where ever i fly...

but dont get me wrong im still confused.... i will be able to use the transmitter with other planes and stuff i decide to make R/C too right... It would be great if there were a little guide.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:47 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez, just check out the Tracker II (or Tracker III, available this summer) from Polk's Hobby

http://www.polkshobby.com

With this radio, you can save in memory the settings (including frequency) for 99 models, you can synthesize any 72MHz channel, their receiver will adjust to the frequency being used, and it will operate anything you'll be using up to 8 channels. Programs easy, too.

This radio can be used as a scanner, because it checks the frequency before it starts transmitting. If the frequency is busy... it won't transmit. You can travel to a fly-in and be confident of no frequency interference, because you can change your Polk's receiver to any frequency selected on your transmitter - with ease.

I have the Tracker II, and as soon as the Tracker III is delivered, mine will be on the way.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 03-06-2005, 05:12 PM

nahhhh...
I like futaba!

lol... Mythbuster's uses FUTABA!!!!! YUMMY CAKE!
Old 03-06-2005, 06:16 PM
My Feedback: (10)

go to the futaba website at www.futaba-rc.com and check out the manual for the 7c . it has 10 model memery so you can fly up to ten helis or airplanes. also if someone else is on your channel you just have to share thats all. a flight usually last 12 mins or so and when they land and shut their radio off and the channel pin is returned and cleared you can get the channel pin from the frecuency control system and go fly. or if your at a small field just make sure the other guy isn't flying or has his radio on when you go to fly
Old 03-06-2005, 06:20 PM

...i will be able to use the transmitter with other planes and stuff i decide to make R/C too right...
If you get a aircraft transmitter (TX) in the 72MHz band, it is only legal for use with RC aircraft, not surface vehicles. If you get a TX that has a freq module (Futaba 9C, Hitec Optic 6) instead of a crystal (Futaba 7C), you can just by a 75MHz module for it for use with surface vehicles... cars, boats, tanks, etc....

I'd stick with Futaba too... those Tracker radios look like some high-school kid's science fair project!
Old 03-06-2005, 08:21 PM

so if i go with this...
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXHKS5**&P=ML

I can change channels only if i buy a module for that chanel? and what channels can I use for things that i just decide to make that will stay on the ground?
Old 03-06-2005, 08:25 PM

also... say i wanted another plane. How do i get another receiver? thanks
Old 03-06-2005, 08:44 PM
My Feedback: (1)

There are now 72 mhz channels that are legal to operate ground RC, or anything other than aircraft. That is why they are labeled "aircraft use only." The biggest reason is if you're driving your RC car around somewhere, and someone is trying to fly a plane on the same channel, within range of you, you'll screw them up. You have to get another transmitter all together for use in ground RC.
If you use the modules to change channels on that 9 ca, then you're receiver will also have to have the same frequency crystal installed for it to work. That means if you buy three different channel modules for the radio, then you'll need those three crystals for your receivers. You can buy receviers from just about any hobby shop, or online retailer. They come separately, or in flight packs (with servos and battery). You can get futaba, or hitec recevers to work with that radio. however, if you're strongly considering buying different channel modules for it, then you need to stick with all the same brand of receiver, I'd just stick with futaba. Why? That way you don't have to have but one of each crystal. Pick your channel, pop that crystal in the plane you want to fly, and go fly. Hitec crystals will not work in futaba receivers, and vice versa.
I have a cheaper suggestion for you. Go to your field, and pick a channel that no one, or few people use. Then, just stick with that channel. The VAST MAJORITY of sport pilots only need one channel. You're fixing to spend big bucks on something that you probably don't even need.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:50 PM

ok, yeah your right i will just use my lucky number 36 for the channel. But how do i get other receivers to work with the same transmiter on CH 36
Old 03-06-2005, 09:08 PM
My Feedback: (32)

I have been told that it does not matter if your Futaba receiver is high or low band, I am currently flying a low band receiver with a high band (46) crystal and have had no problems at all.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:13 PM
My Feedback: (12)

ok, yeah your right i will just use my lucky number 36 for the channel. But how do i get other receivers to work with the same transmiter on CH 36
You could buy some of these ($50 including crystal): http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=L3S11736&P=K
Old 03-06-2005, 09:15 PM
My Feedback: (32)

you can change the crystal in the receiver very easily. Look at it and you will see a tag sticking out on one side with a Number. That is the current channel you are on, simply replace that crystal by pulling it out , and replace it with another crystal with the channel of your choice
Old 03-06-2005, 09:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

also... say i wanted another plane. How do i get another receiver? thanks

If you want another receiver, you buy another receiver. I have 11.

o well, I guess i will just stick with a Futaba 7 chanel and hope no one else picks the chanel I do where ever i fly...

but dont get me wrong im still confused.... i will be able to use the transmitter with other planes and stuff i decide to make R/C too right... It would be great if there were a little guide.

You asked for a little guide. Here it is.

Radio Systems Part 1 - Standard Radios
http://www.rcezine.com/cms/article.php?cat=&id=44

Radio Systems Part 2 - Computer Radios - A Better Investment
http://www.rcezine.com/cms/article.php?cat=&id=65

The Radio - The Pilots Cockpit
http://www.rcezine.com/cms/article.php?cat=&id=59
Old 03-06-2005, 09:18 PM
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: JPal101

I have been told that it does not matter if your Futaba receiver is high or low band, I am currently flying a low band receiver with a high band (46) crystal and have had no problems at all.
Told by whom? You probably can get away with it, but is it worth risking several hundred dollars worth of plane, radio, engine, etc? Not to mention the possible risk to other people or property. The low and high band Futaba receivers are the same physically. However, they are tuned differently. If you want to do the right thing for your own planes, and the safety of others around you, you'll send that receiver to someone who can properly retune it.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:36 PM

Thats 7 channel, dont i have a 9 channel TX?
Old 03-06-2005, 09:39 PM
My Feedback: (1)

How do we know what you have. You've only told us what you wanted to buy. Radio basics are the same (as far as frequencies and such) regardless of how many channels your radio has.
Might I ask how old you are?
Old 03-06-2005, 09:43 PM

would the unfortunate more expensive combo of
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAKN1&P=7
and
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXBFK036&P=7

WORK? with my 36 channel 9CAFS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.