Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 firebird commander idea >

firebird commander idea

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

firebird commander idea

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default firebird commander idea

I've had this plane for a while and I'm moving onto a 3ch hobbico superstar ep however I dont want to sell it and was thinking of making it handle better. The only thing I dont like about the plane is the wide turns. I was thinking of getting some sort of balsa wood or stiff foam to extend the rudders to try to get more steering. Will this work? or is it a bad idea?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: firebird commander idea

Hi, rcbif. As a novice, I don't know much, but I can try. I havn't flown a Firebird Commander but I do own a FlyZone Sky Zap 2-channel. My limited experience would tell you to concentrate on moving up. I am also learning on a Hobbico Superstar EP select w/ Futaba 3FR radio. I assume you are still training. Do not do what I did.
First: The Commander, Sky Zap etc are great little planes on a calm day, but in a wind, they want to thermal. I have chased my Sky Zap for up to 1/2 mile to get it back and there is no buddy system for an instructor to plug into for training.
Second: The Superstar EP is just a wonderful plane, but again, The Futaba 3FR radio that comes with it has no buddy jacks so again I am trying to fly without my instructor being in control when I get into trouble.
For about $80.00 more, you can get a Superstar EP select w/ailerans and with a Futaba 4YF radio that has buddy jack for instructor. This is a really nice beginners electric plane! If you think you will someday want an instructor or just a good 4 channel plane with ailerons, please look at my post from yesterday under
'Beginners". These guys really helped me, and would have saved me a pile of money, If I had not already made these stupid mistakes.
I am not trying to push anything on you, just trying to save you some bucks. Take care and good luck. Mike
Old 11-12-2005, 04:00 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: firebird commander idea

ORIGINAL: rcbif

I've had this plane for a while and I'm moving onto a 3ch hobbico superstar ep however I dont want to sell it and was thinking of making it handle better. The only thing I dont like about the plane is the wide turns. I was thinking of getting some sort of balsa wood or stiff foam to extend the rudders to try to get more steering. Will this work? or is it a bad idea?
Yes, this will work. An easier way is to use a cut piece off a business card. You don't need much to make a big difference. Try adding 1/4" to the rudders.

Before you do that be sure you have moved the contol lines to the bottom holes. that will make a big difference.