Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Goldberg Eagle 2 trainer >

Goldberg Eagle 2 trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Goldberg Eagle 2 trainer

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Eagle 2 trainer

Hello everyone,

I just bought a Goldberg Eagle 2. I crashed my Hanger 9 Alpha trainer in a pilot error debacle, and since the price of a new wing is similar to that of another ARF, I chose to buy another ARF, until my building skills catch up with my level of building space, skill and patience. I would like to repair the Alpha because I have flown it numerous times and it is a lot of fun.

When I went to purchase the new ARF, the hanger 9s were out of stock so I chose the Goldberg.

Upon receiving it I noticed I was missing all the hardware. I called Tower Hobbies, and they told me it was a Goldberg problem. After two attempts I found someone at Goldberg to listen, and the parts are alledgedly on the way.

Now, anyone else with an Eagle 2 out there, I would appreciate any input that you have. I am really new to RCU. The only other guy that I know in my area that flys turned me on to the site.
The other question that I have is about the engine mount for the Goldberg. It is ply that is epoxied into the engine compartment. The Alpha had a metal mount bolted to the firewall. Will there be any lack of durability with the wooden mount?

Again I am new here so advice on the plane as well as site navigation, where to go with silly questions, etc, would be appreciated.

JJ
Old 11-13-2005, 09:10 AM

Default RE: Goldberg Eagle 2 trainer

The Eagle series of trainers are excellent airplanes. They fly well and are well built. It's very unusual for the entire hardware package to be missing. If the box was open when it arrived, I would almost suspect Tower of taking the hardware package out of that kit as a replacement for another.

The plywood beams are a tried-and-true method of engine mounting. It's a simple matter to cut the beams and drill the mounting holes to fit your engine. That's the way it was done before the advent of metal and composite engine mounts.

Welcome to R/C. Keep asking questions.

Dr.1
Old 11-13-2005, 09:19 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Welcome to RCU the only "problem" I've ever had with wooden engine mounts is they compress sometimes allowing the engine mount bolts or screws to come loose. I'd check that from time to time. It only happened once to me and I caught it. It is no big deal they are very good mounts. Again, welcome to the hobby
Old 11-13-2005, 10:00 AM
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eagle 2 is a great plane, no bad habits and best airplane to teach landings, it just floats and floats........
Old 11-13-2005, 10:17 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to RCU!

I'll just ditto everything said. The Eagle, like all of Goldbergs Hangar, is an excellent choice. It's what I trained my son on.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:25 AM
My Feedback: (106)

I have trained people on both brands, and both are excellent. I do think the Goldberg is a little better built......As for the motor mount on the Goldberg, it works just fine. Just check your mount bolts every once in a while to make sure they are tight, but you should be doing that on everything anyway..... Good Luck
Old 11-13-2005, 12:25 PM

An Eagle 2 ARF was my first trainer... I still have it. It's a good plane. I don't recall what the instructions say about it, but make sure you cover the motor mounting plate with something fuel proof. Don't leave it as bare wood.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:53 PM

Thanks for all the info, and I am sure many more questions will be forthcoming.

JJ
Old 11-14-2005, 10:51 AM
My Feedback: (13)

JJ, you're in the right forum. This site has a wealth of institutional knowledge of most things regarding radio control, but you need to be in this forum with your questions for the time being.

The Goldberg Eagle is one of those timeless classics. The design has trained thousands upon thousands of r/c pilots.

Of all the trainers I've dealt with (including the original kit-built Eagle), I think the Sig LT-40 ARF is the best "newbie package" going; but only because it is slightly larger, with more wing area, than the others. I rate the Eagle 2 just behind it; and recently acquired one to replace an aging LT-40 that I tore up playing around with in high winds. I have a four year old grandson who will be ready to begin learning before long. I was toying with the idea of trying that new H9 P-51 "trainer"; but this NIB Eagle 2 ARF came along at a price I couldn't pass up. I may yet grab one of those P-51s, just for grins, but I know that, in the Eagle, I have a solid airframe that will do just what I need it to do.

Sorry for the above, which probably doesn't interest you in the least. I posted because my kit is missing the hardware too. The landing gear is there, but the bags with the tank, hardware, etc., are nowhere to be seen. I knew that when I bought the kit from the guy (he had no clue the stuff was missing- he bought it from a hobby shop), and its no problem for me because, like every serious r/c'er, I have several "junk" boxes and containers that hold enough left-overs to outfit several 40-size airplanes.

In fact, much of the hardware that usually comes with these Chinese-built ARFs is marginal at best, and is discarded by many modelers in favor of quality stuff like DuBro, Sullivan, etc. That is another reason I rate the Sig LT-40 #1; it comes with good quality accessories that don't need replacing.

I'm NOT saying that the stuff Goldberg/Lanier puts in the Eagle 2 is junk; I haven't seen it. And, to be frank, the cheaper Asian stuff is usually adequate for a model of this size that won't be flown aggressively. So don't let my wandering thoughts disturb you; use the supplied stuff with confidence.

One thing you'll find out quickly is that modelers are very opinionated, and there is almost always more than one way of doing something.

Welcome to the hobby, and to RCU...
Old 11-17-2005, 08:53 PM

I recently bought a Goldberg Eagle 2 ARF. I did so at the recommendation of an experienced flyer in our club who brings his Eagle out occasionally because it's easy and fun to fly. I bought it instead of buying another Arrow to replace my damaged one (it has been repaired and is now a tail dragger--woohoo!).
My Eagle ARF came with Dubro wheels, Sullivan tank, and excellent instructions. The quality appears to be excellent. I expect it to be fun to complete and fly, plus it actually looks a lot like an airplane!
Old 11-17-2005, 10:13 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Funny, but true story--I once crashed an alpha trainer, and tore up the wing only. While I was waiting to get the wing repaired, I flew the plane with a CG eagle II wing!!!LOL
As it turns out, the week after I planted my alpha in a tree (tearing up the wing only), my brother had a wing dowell break on his eagle II, and the wing departed in air. Needless to say, the wing floated down nice and gentle, and was the only thing that survived that crash. I used his wing on my alpha while I was trying to get my alpha wing repaired.

A few weeks later, I got the alpha wing repaired, and went to re-maiden the alpha with it's own wing--and, crash on takeoff. Again, just the wing destroyed. that's a tough fuse! So, back to the eagle wing! After that, i just flew it on the eagle wing, until I crashed my second plane (VMAR stinger). In that crash, the stinger's fuse was totaled, but the wing wasn't harmed too much. That plane had a semi-symmetrical airfoil that I really liked, so we cut my wing saddle out in the alpha to accept the stinger wing--it still flies like that today!

That plane has had three different wings on it. However, the ironic part is the alpha, crash, marriage of the eagle II!!! So, just order an eagle II wing, and put it on your crashed alpha and have fun

Funny thing is, I've never crashed the alpha with any other wing on it except the one the factory sent with it
Old 11-17-2005, 10:56 PM

Hit a tree, eh? Same here. Hmmm? I could assemble the Eagle's wing in a few minutes. It might work well on the Arrow.[sm=lol.gif]

Did your Alpha wing ever fold up offering a spectacular helicopter crash[sm=eek.gif] I've heard stories, but have never witnessed this.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:32 AM

ORIGINAL: 2slow2matter

Funny, but true story--I once crashed an alpha trainer, and tore up the wing only. While I was waiting to get the wing repaired, I flew the plane with a CG eagle II wing!!!LOL
As it turns out, the week after I planted my alpha in a tree (tearing up the wing only), my brother had a wing dowell break on his eagle II, and the wing departed in air. Needless to say, the wing floated down nice and gentle, and was the only thing that survived that crash. I used his wing on my alpha while I was trying to get my alpha wing repaired.

A few weeks later, I got the alpha wing repaired, and went to re-maiden the alpha with it's own wing--and, crash on takeoff. Again, just the wing destroyed. that's a tough fuse! So, back to the eagle wing! After that, i just flew it on the eagle wing, until I crashed my second plane (VMAR stinger). In that crash, the stinger's fuse was totaled, but the wing wasn't harmed too much. That plane had a semi-symmetrical airfoil that I really liked, so we cut my wing saddle out in the alpha to accept the stinger wing--it still flies like that today!

That plane has had three different wings on it. However, the ironic part is the alpha, crash, marriage of the eagle II!!! So, just order an eagle II wing, and put it on your crashed alpha and have fun

Funny thing is, I've never crashed the alpha with any other wing on it except the one the factory sent with it
FYI, that Eagle II wing still lives on today. Dad took the covering off and made it a fully symmetrical wing <Yep, it's thick>, and modified it to fit on his Extra Easy II trainer. Flies like a dream. Now he has a trainer with a fully symmetrical, no dyhedral wing and it's own training wing! To be the first plane I ever bought and the wing's still around is pretty cool. Course, the tail feathers are still around as well <see pic :LOL:>!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44246.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	356245  
Old 11-18-2005, 07:53 AM

I flew on an eagle trainer(25size) with a .46 tt on it....that was a neat little guided missle .

My instructor though it would be fun to run pylons with....need to rebuild it and try
Old 06-07-2008, 10:56 AM

Hello All, I just bought a Eagle II Trainer that was built from a kit. It was so well made I had to buy it. It has a Magnum XL .52 4 stroke, Brand new, 4 Futaba S3004 Servos, new R700 battery. The covering is Red and White with two small black pen stripes it looks absolutely beautiful and who-ever built it has been building for a while. I paid $250.00 dollars and thought that was a steal. Is that a good price for everything? All I had to do is install my receiver, battery and adjust the? Sub-trim and throw; now it's RTF. I was wondering how much a plane like this could sell for. A fair price. starcop
Old 06-07-2008, 01:24 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, you got a great deal.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:30 PM

my eagle was my first plane with a OS 46la.. It flew great. never had any problems, that is till I gave it a dirt nap[X(] but the only thing broke was a couple wing ribs and a brace in the fuse. After fixing that it was fine. I now have a OS 46ax and it is like a whole new plane with the power. It flys great with the added power. This is a tuff little plane. GREAT choice.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:26 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: tsands

Welcome to RCU the only "problem" I've ever had with wooden engine mounts is they compress sometimes allowing the engine mount bolts or screws to come loose. I'd check that from time to time. It only happened once to me and I caught it. It is no big deal they are very good mounts. Again, welcome to the hobby

Thread Locker is a ARF"S BEST FRIEND!!! [sm=lol.gif]

Great Planes now owns Goldberg. JMO Hanger 9 does have Goldberg and Great Planes beat in the ARF's, however I haven't found many people complain about Goldberg or Great Plane kits. I'm the only one who has been flying Hanger 9 at my Club because I'm the only one who keeps buying ARFS!

I'm thinking about building a kit this winter, since I had lessons from my hobby shop on how to cover with Mono and Ultra. The Owner gave me personal hands on lessons. It's just going to hurt so much more if I were to crash a kit. I have taken a day off from work from destroying a ARF because I was too depressed.

It can lead a man to drink! lol

Welcome to R/C Universe!!!

Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA 856404
Radio Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY

Supporter of R/C Redneck
Fulton, NY
Old 10-05-2008, 12:26 AM
My Feedback: (8)

16 years ago I bought a eagle II and a super tigre .45 ring, I flew the crap out of that plane learning how to fly, got sun-burns and ended up totaling the poor thing because I never wanted to stop flying it one day, needless to say, check your reciever batteries after flying a gallon through it in a single day. It was late and I said "one more flight" that was the end of everything, the first time I ever seen balsa and lite ply explode in a mushroom cloud on tar. My heart sank, but I bought another plane(balsa usa smoothie) and kept going. The eagle II is excellent, I've had the senior from sig and the kadet lt-40, but the goldberg eagle II is still way more durable than any other trainer on the market and it floats nice, not as slow as a sig senior, but just about. Infact the eaglet 50 is the most econimic trainer around, and it will T/O and land within 60' on a bushed .15 engine, I've trained many people to fly, but my favorite all-around trainer is the eagle II and the eaglet 50. Just smooth, tough, predictable airplanes,....Point blank.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:18 PM

My eagle II flew for the first time yesterday, very nice. Had to cut the engine to get it to land, didn't want to come down.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:36 PM

Try going to an 11x5 prop, more disc area acts like a brake when going to idle, but since it's your maiden flight, to me it sounds like the engine was kept a little on the high side for idle to keep it from stalling, try the lower pitch and you'll be amazed at the fact that it will take off in < 50' and slow to a crawl for pin-point landings everytime.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:44 PM

I wasn't the one who landed it. But i did get to fly it while it was up though.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:50 PM

Did the idle seem high?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:54 PM

Idle was set to about 1/8" open on an ax 46. Sounded about right to me. It is a 10 or 11 X 7 prop though.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:09 PM

Too much prop, 10x6 tops for a .40 2 stroke engine on a trainer, 11x5 to help slow it down at idle, for a four stroke .56 12x6 or 13x5 is best for the trainer.torque is your best friend, it = power but not speed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.