Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Builiding up a plane >

Builiding up a plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Builiding up a plane

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Builiding up a plane

Hello there... Am new in the forum as new as the hobby.... I had a quick view in the forum 3-4 days it is huge. Anyway, What i wanted to ask is this: I am curently a student bought lately a foamie plane and that's it i want a nice gas plane which am about to buy for Xmas. Already been through rc simulator i and i think i can handle a plane. What i was thinking is to build one as well during the summer. I have about 45 Dxf autocad file plans which am willing to sell if anybody is interested. Anyway i will finish with 2 questions.Do you think a newbie could build a plane made of balsa around 71" wingspan? And 2ndly is are there services that could materialize my autocad file because i will only have 3 months to build and fly and can't spend time on cutting the material my self. Thnx again looking forward to read answers.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:19 PM

Default RE: Builiding up a plane

Welcome to R/C.

If you have never built a kit before, you may have a little trouble with your first one. The plane size isn't the issue. The complexity and design of the kit determine the difficulty. Even with complete plans, any kit would be hard to build without a complete instruction sequence.

Rather than using plans to generate a kit, I would suggest buying a commercially available kit for an R/C trainer. Two good ones that come to mind are the Goldberg Eagle and the Great Planes PT-40. These kits are complete, easy to build and are great trainers. Either kit will include instructions, plans and all the necessary hardware with the exception of wheels, fuel tank and lines and servo mounting hardware (included with your radio). Of course, radio, engine and covering are not included either.

If you still want to scratch-build a plane from your plans and have a professional cut the shaped pieces for you, do a Google for kit cutters. The search will turn up several companies that can utilize your Autocad plans. This method is going to be MUCH more expensive than buying a factory kit. Also, unless you specifically request sheets and sticks, your custom kit will only include shaped pieces such as ribs and fuselage formers. The hardware will not be included either.

Dr.1
Old 11-14-2005, 01:15 AM

Yeah i figured that it would take more expenses to have the kit cut. Your information troubles me a bit about what to do because i really don want to buy trainer stuff because i am not interested of having a plane collection I'ts true i can't get in deep waters without knowing how to swim. Same think applies here. Thnx for your info and your time it was helpful. I think i will give it a shot buy balsa wood and experiment a little bit who knows i might create somethink new like flying pieces or somethink. Does balsa wood costs lot? Well i know thinks in usa are way cheaper than europe but just an idea.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:11 AM

if you decide to scratch build, there are several good online sources for bulk balsa. Lonestar, Balsa USA, Superion, and others.

Good luck.

Dr.1

PS One word of 20+ years experienced advice: I would strongly advise against what you're trying to do. If you had more flying and building experience, I'd say go for it. Newbies usually don't have the building experience that can only come from building, preferably a complete kit to begin with. Most newbies need a trainer plane to train on. You don't have to have a collection of planes, but you gotta walk before you run, and take small steps.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:22 AM

In your situation, you mat be better off going to a site such as www.spadtothebone.com and look at a plane called a SPAD Debonair. Its a trainer type airplane made from plastic sign material. You can download the plans and instructions which are free on the site and the plastic materials are usually less expensive and more durable than balsa. At least going this route you can get an idea of how some types of planes planes are built and you can fly a proven trainer if you do build it rather than just goofing around with no concept of what you are doing. [8D]
Old 11-14-2005, 08:16 AM

I've got to go with Dr1 on this. His opinon is right on, walk before running. The trainers he mentioned were designed by people whom have studied what is needed by people just starting out. Another good trainer is the Sig Kadet, although it might be somewhat dated, the Kadet has gotten many new flyers on the road to success in R/C! I have no idea what your experience is or educational background is. However, building a kit is more educational than you might believe. They show you the process needed to complete and the correct materials to use and where to use them. The instruction book (something you will not have as a scratch builder) will be as valuable or more valuable than any plan you may have stored in your cad program. Also, the process of learning to fly will not allow you to have a "collection" of planes, as the attrition rate is very high when starting out. I'll even go farther by stating if starting out again; myself, I would start with an ARF trainer. Because much of the labor is removed from getting an airplane into the air with a ARF, you will be flying sooner and when you do crash (and you will) there is less attachment to the plane and less loss felt! This is important in keeping the frustration level down. Simulators are also the way to go.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:20 AM

ARFs are greaat for experienced builders but won't teach a new flyer anything about airplane construction. I hate when new guys crash their ARf and then ask for my help to repair it because they don't have a clue as to how to even start a repair. [>:]
Old 11-15-2005, 07:24 AM

So, what your saying is, only experienced builders should be using ARFs, as a new guy will not be able to repair his ARF because he doesn't know how to build? While there is truth in what you say, this is not gonna happen! However, exactly what you describe is what is occurring, people get into this hobby and don't know how to build! Also, more people are likely involved in the hobby, because of this very truth!

I agree, I think people should know how to build. Building is as much a part of this hobby as flying, to me. You and I are a dying breed, however!

What is happening in this hobby is the reality for the hobby at this point in time. You or I can't change that reality with our minority opinions. At the same time, nobody appointed you the designated re-builder of other people's ARFs! It's your decision to help, or not! I suggest if you don't want to help, don't!!
Old 11-15-2005, 08:34 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It will cost you a lot less in the long run to buy a kit rather than buying just wood. Plus, there are MANY things about the engineering of an aircraft that you do not know about - Things like "Which way should the wood grain run?" or, "Where do you use Balsa and where do you use Ply, and where do you use Hardwood?"

Do yourself a favor, and save a lot of money and heartaches - Buy a kit!

Once you have put a few planes together from kits, THEN you may want to consider building from scratch.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:56 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you currently fly a park flyer (foamie) now..right? and you are good on a simulator..if you want to build you could go to the 1/2A forum look up the .049 trainer build plan and double it for the size you want....if however you want to get in the air,,just buy one of the many ARF trainers for $70...raidentech has theirs on sale for $40 ,,dont know if they ship to your side of the pond though...you CAN'T build a trainer plane for less than the cost of an ARF, between the kit cost, the covering, and the basic tools......and if you crash it you can always send it to Fastsky for repairs....Rog
Old 11-15-2005, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been building and flying free flight and control line model airplanes for some 60 years. My RC experience is a couple of buddy box flights. So take my advice for what it is worth. I'd say buy a trainer kit. Building a kit is more of a learning experience than you might think. Most modern kits have the process all laid out for you and you will find that a great help. Once the trainer has served its purpose, you've had your value out of it, you don't need it any more. Sell it or give it away. No need for it to clutter up your place.

I've built a fair number of my own design airplanes. I have found that making up a flow chart of what to do and when is absolutely essential. This is done for you in most modern kits.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:15 PM

Wow sory guys not replying to any msg i ve been in a lot studying.... If anybody needs anythink about sound science pls be my guest. LOL. So I will Start With DR1 thnx for changing up my mind no hard building for the moment i have just order a cheap Miss hanger one for about 80 dollars wich i think i have to build from scratch so i will gain some experience and then i will go to somethink more experinced u know how's it goes. As about the arf crashing imagine if anybody new how to build. The only one that should be suttisfied where going to be balsa wood suppliers and glue suppliers. And futaba as well :P. But some basics i think they are needed that's why i wanted to buil my plane instead of just buying one ready to fly. As about starting with a trainer i don like the idea. I don like their design i am kind strange on that. The only trainer that exist's for me and maybe is not even a trainer is the p-51d mustang by parkzone. And yes I had a foamie not anymore. It was my 1st plane i had to crash it couldn't ignore the tradition. Thnx for your help guys. I will reply again if any new posts.

Panos
Old 11-15-2005, 07:26 PM

Oh Dr1 i just saw your reply in the aerodynamics section and thought of asking you here instead of posting a new thread for somethink this simple. I bought this little Flying boat i told you before in my post. This comes in pieces. I do have a friend who is working in a wood workshop or i don know the exact word in english. Anw so what if i multiply my pieces x2 and cut them in exact analogical shape to get a double sized boat. Do you think it will work? And generally on a plane if you multiply all the pieces with the same number will the C.G change and have stability problems? Thnx again

Panos
Old 11-15-2005, 09:55 PM

Multiplying by 2 will give you the correct outlines. However, the sized of wood will not scale up by 2. Since my expertise is in planes, I'll reference them. If your plane has a 1/4" square spar, and you scale the plane up by 2, your spar would scale to 1/2" square. This is overkill. A better size for the spar would be 3/8" square or possibly 3/8"x1/4". Sheeting is the same way. If you have 1/16" sheet and scale up by 2, you would end up with 1/8" sheet. This is probably too thick. A more correct size would be 3/32".

When scaling up a plan with no referenced sizes, it's best to study some existing designs of your craft, be it boat or plane.

Dr.1
Old 11-16-2005, 03:44 AM

Hmmmm... i see. Well i don know if the plans are included but if they are i will try and recreate for personal use on a bigger scale. I am not talking x2 i was just giving an example though it's true i know nothing about scaling. But am talking for like 4" - 5" bigger otherwise it might get heavier and do somethink really outragous and then need an engine instead of a motors which is not but idea but it will put me in troubles once i know nothing about these thinks. Thnx again.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:11 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised no one has suggested you look up your local club members. Surely there are RC flyers around cambridge, somewhere. There is a wealth of information to be had, in person, talking to RC flyers and builders. Best of all, it's free.

Besides, other RC people make good friends, especially if you're going to build or fly.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 11-17-2005, 01:37 PM

Hehe nice point there is a club actually but is 10 miles outside cambridge and i have only bike. And i don have a flying licence which you have to show it to enter the flying field. I also have to pay around 180USD membership per year and have to follow many rules. Flying is supposed to set you free not holding you down in limits.... In cyprus where am taking my rc model is so free that you can drive the think outside your house if you like. (if you don crash it of course).

Panos
Old 11-17-2005, 01:56 PM

And i don have a flying licence which you have to show it to enter the flying field. I also have to pay around 180USD membership per year and have to follow many rules. Flying is supposed to set you free not holding you down in limits

I appreciate your worry about the expense. No one ever said R/C is cheap. That license and membership fee allow you to fly where all pilots are licensed and insured, and have learned to fly safely. At the field, there is no danger of hitting someone with your plane. Those rules are for SAFETY! Even a park flyer is dangerous and can cause bodily injury and property damage. No limits is chaos, AND dangerous.

Dr.1