Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Oklahoma Wind! >

Oklahoma Wind!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Oklahoma Wind!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oklahoma Wind!

I finally finished assembling my Sky Raider Mach I ARF. I spent 30 plus hours on the assembly of it and getting everything set right (still working on the CG). The hardware package that comes with is pretty inclusive but the instruction manual is not worth a darn which is fairly typical from what I have heard. The control rods and servo horn attachements were junk, so I borrowed my Dad's z-bend pliers and installed them using z-bends and clevises. Seems like everything fought me along the way in that this didn't fit or the holes that were pre-drilled were a little off. Nothing that I didn't expect going into the build, but still frustrating nonetheless.

I had planned on maidening her this weekend but the winds around here didn't cooperate with that. I broke-in the engine yesterday and I have got to say, that I will never go back to electric flying again! I am hooked on glow/gas and that feeling of knowing that I assembled it, is hard to beat. I can only imagine what that will feel like when I start buidling in kit form, my next plane which will most likely be a Sig Somethin Extra. I

I hope the winds cooperate this weekend so I can maiden and enjoy my Mach I.

BTW, thanks to the guys who recommended the Dead Center tool for engine mounting. That solved my problems in about 15 minutes of time!

Will post pictures of completed plane here in the next couple of days.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:03 PM

Default RE: Oklahoma Wind!

Good to here. I am looking forward to seeing how the Mach I flies!
Old 11-14-2005, 02:07 PM

Where do you fly at Septic?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

derek, If you have your AMA you're welcome to maiden at TORKS

Tom Solinski
Club Sec.

414-6947
Old 11-14-2005, 04:16 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Derek,

You ever make it down to Muskogee and fly at the TRAMPS field? Been trying to find people I know on here
Old 11-14-2005, 05:37 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

derek533,
Glad to hear that you're getting into the hobby. If you ever come down towards Lawton let me know and you can come fly with us.

You've definitely got to learn to fly in the wind if you want to fly here in Oklahoma. Winds that ground others around the country can be a normal flying day here. But I do understand, the winds this last weekend were really bad (45+ mph). I haven't seen a forecast for next weekend yet, but I know that we are supposed to have a bad cold front blow through tonight. Maybe we'll luck out and get to fly next weekend. Well, Sunday maybe. There is a swap meet in Wichita Falls, Tx this Saturday that I'm planning on going to.

Ken
Old 11-14-2005, 06:02 PM

I fly at the TORKS field, at Lake Hefner.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:57 PM

I will never go back to electric flying again!
I felt the same way after cranking over my first engine which was a OS .40 Wait until you feel the power to weight ratio while you are flying. No bulky battery dragging you down as the power drops as you fly. GLOW POWER is consistent until the tank is empty.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:53 PM
My Feedback: (3)

I know what you mean about the wind blowing 90 to nothing lately. I just re-engined my Four Star 60 with a Magnum 91. Did the ground portion of the break in, now I need a break to go fly it. Wind's supposed to be down Wed. morning, so maybe I can get it in the air then.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the invite Tom, I am actually waiting on Jared to approve my application for membership. I went by his shop last week, and he said that his wife misplaced it! Oh well, he said that as long as I have my AMA, no problem and I would just have to wait until he finds it to get my gate key and membership card. See you out there. I have already been out there a couple of times just getting some good information from all the fellas out there during my build and meeting everyone.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Septic_Shock

I fly at the TORKS field, at Lake Hefner.
I thought that may have been you. Did you ever get your engine woes figured out on your LT-40?
Old 11-15-2005, 02:33 AM

Bring it on out! We should have a great time this weekend( but wear a sweater). Hint: White Uproar 40 Flourescent Yellow Control Surfaces. and yes I got mine back flyin too!

I second RCKens observation about the winds. But as Septic Shock can attest, it doesnt stop some of us. I was out weekend before last at TORKS, wind was up but sustained. Made it ok. The gusty stuff is when I seem to get into trouble, but usually only on landding. Course if ya wait for the right conditions to land, they never come and guess what,,,,,,ya land anyways! Take offs are fine, just shorter than usual..
Old 11-15-2005, 09:42 AM

Sooner, the winds were really gusty when you were coming in and then it got calm and the wing lost the lift, and it just dropped from about 10' high. From my perspective, I don't think there is anything you can do different in that situation. Plus, as you stated, the way the gear was designed, it was made to do that on a hard landing and not damage the rest of the plane so I am glad to hear you got it fixed.

The seven day forecast this morning (Tues.) calls for 5-15mph winds on both Saturday and Sunday!
Old 11-15-2005, 11:43 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, I guess it's appropriate to post these pics since we were talking about Oklahoma winds. We've got 35-45 mph winds with gusts up to 60 today. They opened up the door to my shop, tore the door off it's hinges, slammed it into the glass pane and shattered that, and then the door landed on my wife's car. Fun fun fun.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29603.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	354777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72866.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	354778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14083.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	354779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30455.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	354780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa34067.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	354781  
Old 11-15-2005, 12:06 PM
My Feedback: (3)

same here in SE KS today too. BRUTAL
Old 11-15-2005, 12:12 PM

Ken,
Looks like your shop is on Cache Road, no?
JLK
Old 11-15-2005, 12:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: derek533

Thanks for the invite Tom, I am actually waiting on Jared to approve my application for membership. I went by his shop last week, and he said that his wife misplaced it! Oh well, he said that as long as I have my AMA, no problem and I would just have to wait until he finds it to get my gate key and membership card. See you out there. I have already been out there a couple of times just getting some good information from all the fellas out there during my build and meeting everyone.

derek, I'm also an INTRO pilot so we can go fly under my coverage until you AMA comes in

405-414-6947 IF the wind ever dies down. Course I've been flying my heli in the driveway around sunset and at night it's calm. Doesn't help you much though.

t
Old 11-15-2005, 02:04 PM

Tom, I have a Hummingbird 3 heli. I have yet to be able to hover that blasted thing for longer than about 10 seconds! That thing is so twitchy it's ridiculous. I hope you are a better heli pilot than me! It's fixed pitch so I am positive that has alot to do with it. I have been told that cp is actually easier to fly than fp as you can never trim fp right as the head speed is always changing.

BTW, thanks for offerring to let me fly under your coverage but I already have my AMA card, I am just waiting on my TORKS membership card and gate key.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Well, I guess it's appropriate to post these pics since we were talking about Oklahoma winds. We've got 35-45 mph winds with gusts up to 60 today. They opened up the door to my shop, tore the door off it's hinges, slammed it into the glass pane and shattered that, and then the door landed on my wife's car. Fun fun fun.

Ken
Ken,

Looks like you have a small insurance claim there. Only thing is, that it would be a seperate claim for your wife's car and your shop as there are two different polices involved. If the car is damaged, you might consider taking it over to Pamplins and talk to a guy named Jerry. They are a preferred shop for my company and from what I've heard, do really good bodywork.

I guess you can tell what I do for a living.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:38 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Once you get bored with the mach 1, get the mach 2.

I have been flying one with a 46AX and building up from an 11 x 4 to an 11 x 6. It has flown in 17mph crosswinds and is a lot of fun (my second plane)

A more experienced pilot managed to get this to knife edge, fly well inverted, and hover.

Not bad for a $60 ARF!
Old 11-15-2005, 03:30 PM

There is a guy at our field who has a Mach II. He does all kinds of spins, snaps and what not. I will eventually get one, but I may get a Sig Something Extra in kit form for my next plane. I kind of have the building it myself itch now and want to try to learn how to cover these things. My only complaint about my Mach I and the Mach II's, are the covering scheme. I think it's pretty good quality, I just don't care for the color scheme. I have the red tail version of the Mach I which I have heard, helps with the visibility over the previous versions. We'll find out this weekend weather permitting!
Old 11-15-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

SOONERACE learned to fly in the wind at Elk City's Fly-In. If he could only avoid the power lines.

LOL david
Old 11-15-2005, 07:07 PM
My Feedback: (8)

I can't say enough for learning to fly in the wind. I initially learned to fly in Stillwater and got used to the wind. Now I'm out flying when these right coast panzies are grounded.

Micheal
Old 11-15-2005, 11:21 PM

I thought that may have been you. Did you ever get your engine woes figured out on your LT-40?
Yah, you've met me! I the guy that looks just like Brad Pitt!

and yes, I did. One of the LHS owners help me tune it back to shape. Need to be richened about a quarter turn on the low end, that's all.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:30 PM
My Feedback: (7)

We have snow here in Iowa and to make things worse we also have 45-50 mph winds [] at least i never had to go to college we were menat to have an exam tonight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.