Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 piper cub >

piper cub

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

piper cub

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piper cub

hey guys.i have a carl goldberg annivesary piper cub kit.i got this from my brother,it is nib,anyone have any experience with this kit.id like to know if its a decent unit before i spend my winter building it.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:08 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: piper cub

I built one when they were first out (about 1986 I think). Here is a picture. I am still flying this today with OS .61. In the air it flies pretty well. It can be a problem taking off. Sometimes it will ground loop. Landings are not difficult.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85307.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	360759  
Old 11-26-2005, 11:26 PM

would you suggest that engine?if not what should i shop for?clipped or full wing?
Old 11-26-2005, 11:39 PM
My Feedback: (13)

This plane will fly on a lot less engine than the .60. A better choice would probably be a 4-stroke in the neighborhood of .50 cu inches. The sound will be better and the bigger prop spinning slower will be a better match for the slow flying cub. Mine will almost go vertical which is not very realistic. I built the full span wing.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:09 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure you have a little TOE-IN on your wheels so it is not so wild on take off.

I had a H-9 Cub with a Saito 50. It was a good match. A OS 46 seemed like too much engine and the two stroke didn't like extended low throttle operation like the four stroke did.

A LA 40 is not bad in a full wing one. You have to keep the throttle pretty much open which is good with a two stroke. amazing with a 80" wing?

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 11-27-2005, 06:53 AM

I have found that using ultra-lite foam wheels also tames the ground handling of tail-draggers. Their extra rolling resistance and low lateral traction makes asphalt feel like a grass strip. When the centrifugal force of a turn puts the plane's weight on one wheel, the extra rolling resistance of this type of wheel acts like a brake on that wheel, thus helping to stabilize the plane.