Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Need help & advice: Electric plane, Heli, G3 >

Need help & advice: Electric plane, Heli, G3

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need help & advice: Electric plane, Heli, G3

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help & advice: Electric plane, Heli, G3

I just need all kinds of help! Show off your knowledge! Here's your chance!

Issue #1:
I didn't do to well with my 3 channel ParkZone Cub and Decathlon. I have an EFlite MiniEdge 540 still in the box with all the gear, but I won't build it until I'm ready for it. I thought the little park flyers would get me ready. I failed utterly. I can competently fly every plane in the G3 sim, though none of the planes are even close to the planes I have. They can't handle any wind, and just don't respond very well. They don't much like hitting the ground either. I was thinking that maybe it's because almost all of the planes on the sim have ailerons, and are larger and heavier. So, assuming this is the right way to go, what would be a great and very very durable trainer? It wouldn't hurt if the power system was either inexpensive or compatible with what I already have. (I have the new Spektrum 6 channel transmitter, and from other craft also have: EFlite Park 400 brushless & esc, 1900 mah 3s lipo, Align 430L brushless outrunner & esc (for my heli), a 1350 mah lipo.)

Issue #2:
I have a Blade CP and a modified Walkera Dragonfly 36 that I'm trying to set up like a Trex (Align motor & esc, 1900 mah 3s lipo) None of the craft in the G3 sim seem to have anything that flies like either one of these birds. Any suggestions?

Issue #3:
The afore-mentioned Eflight mini-edge 540- would anyone recommend a plane on the G3 sim. to practice on?

Issue #4:
Setting up the Blade CP: When setting the main blade pitch, is 0 to 10 degrees the best set up for a newbie like me? Also, I'm not doing so well with setting up the gyro. Any suggestions? How would you tell if the hardware was bad?

Issue #5:
On my 36 heli, is there a way to fine tune the pitch servo & mechanics without running the motor, or physically disconnecting the motor from the speed control? (I've already got it heat shrinked & mounted.)

Issue #6:
How do you keep your wives from finding out how much you've spent on this hobby?

Old 01-03-2006, 05:36 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Need help & advice: Electric plane, Heli, G3

thinx2much,
First of all I would recommend that you find an instructor to help get you into the hobby. One of the bigger contributors to this forum lives in Memphis, so you might PM him and see if he can get you in contact with an instructor. His name is bruce88123. Pm him and see if he can help you out.

As for your other issues. I tend to try and keep people from using the simulators until they have made contact with an instructor. The reason for this is because a simulator can actually let you develop a lot of bad habits. A simulator is a great training tool when it's used to reinforce what you are learning from your instructor. It's a great to practice with in between training sessions. I've used them to help students overcome problems they may have while flying. But I've had students that I've taught to fly that it actually took longer to teach them to fly because I had to first "unteach" the bad habits they had picked up on the simulator trying to teach themselves to fly.

For your heli questions you may have a little better luck asking them over in the Helicopter sections of RCU. This is the Airplanes Beginner's Forum here.

And for you last question, in my opinion the worst thing you can do is hide how much you spend from your wife. It's been my experience that usually causes a lot of problems when she "finds out". I can spend just about anything I want because my wife knows that I'm not hiding it from her, and that I won't spend more than we can afford. Yes, this may sound like preaching, but that's my advice. Don't hide it, be honest and you may be surprised how much you can actually get to spend.

Ken
Old 01-03-2006, 08:19 PM

Ken,

Thanks for the referral, I think an experienced instructor is defintely the way to go at this point.

Also, FYI - Issue #6 was an attempt at humor.

Regarding the sims, what kind of bad habits are you referring to?

Old 01-03-2006, 09:30 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

thinx2much,
It's hard to tell you what bad habits there are because they are different for different people. I had one guy that liked to take off and climb as fast as he could (looks good in G2). I had another one that would "dive bomb" the ground on a landing approach (it was the only way he could find the runway in G2). It's just different for everybody.

Ken
Old 01-05-2006, 01:34 PM

Ken,

Hey, I like both of those bad habits! Kidding, though I do understand the dive bomb thing in G3. If you keep the ground in view, it's very hard to see the plane, if you don't, there's very little reference for the landing strip. So far, the only thing I've really picked up from the sim is familiarity with the sticks, guiding something as it's coming toward you, and some of the characteristics of different types of models.

Also, I have emailed back and forth with Bruce, and I'm meeting with him this weekend. Thanks again.

Jeff