Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 I feel embarassed to ask this...Plane question >

I feel embarassed to ask this...Plane question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I feel embarassed to ask this...Plane question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 04:59 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I feel embarassed to ask this...Plane question

i was thining more and more about it. I recently got a tIGer MOth electric form hobby lobby for christmas. I love the plane and couldnt think of a better gift. The only prolem is, whether i will be able to fly it. I fly nitro planes. Im done with the traienr and im extremely confident with the GP Easy port. I wonder if im ready for the tiger moth. When i get back form my vacation, i want to fly my easy sport alot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20886.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	380767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47259.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	380768  
Old 01-04-2006, 06:23 AM

Default RE: I feel embarassed to ask this...Plane question

I bet if you get with someone that flies bipes and have them with you on your first couple of flights you probably wont have a problem.
Remember this bipes have a lot of drag due to the second wing and have a tendency to snap over at stall speed. So keep power on during your landing approach and fly the airplane down, cut power at the runway threshold then flair for landing. Unlike your trainer where you could cut power on the base or downwind leg and glide in to landing.
I just started flying an Ultimate Bipe this was the advice i was given before my first bipe flight. To prove it i went high and cut power into a stall. by golly it did snap. stopped the roll and pulled out I'm a believer.
good luck
Old 01-04-2006, 06:26 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Tiger Moth is not an aerobatic bipe, so it's not prone to snapping at slow speed. If you're comfortable with your Easy Sport, you should have no problem with the TM
Old 01-04-2006, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be tougher than you think. The little moth is a flitter bug that barely has enough power to fly & can't handle any wind at all. Pick a dead calm day to try it out.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:50 AM

Supposadly the power package it got in the RTF setup is more then powerfull. "MOst flying can be done in less then half throttle"

Ashley 95- How does the ultimate fly? Ilike that one too. What did you fly before?
Old 01-04-2006, 11:57 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Samolot,
Where did you see that "Most flying can be done in less then half throttle"? Product Documentation? An advertisement? On the website where you bought it? Of course they will say things like that to make it sound like a great product, that's because they want you to buy it. Comments and experience from pilots that know about the plane are going to be a lot better judge of what the plane is really like. I've come to respect what Britbrat says because I find him to be very knowledgable in this hobby, and he usually doesn't comment on things that he doesn't know about. I imagine if he's giving you advice on this plane that it's probably pretty close to being spot on correct.

Ken
Old 01-04-2006, 12:20 PM

IM just trying to say a point that the website has to say. I dont know whether its powerless or powerfull. Ill need to see in a few days. Im just pointing out a fact that supposadly the AXI motor that came with it serves enough.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/tigermoth.htm

""AXI motor provides lots of power, you will fly at less than 1/2 power most of the time. Flies best in light wind, slow flight, touch and goes, slips to landing--relaxed flying at its best.""

Im not stupid. Im not going to fly on a windy day. I dont fly electrics on windy days anyway. I had a little electric and i know how bad it can be. Will just have to see. I respect everyones opinion its just that when i see a kink, ill point it out. Maybe britbrat didnt know what a powerfull motor came with it.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:41 PM
My Feedback: (5)

RCken,

the plane package come from hobby looby, it uses a AXI 2820 outrunner motor wich will make that plane fly quite well i think. the axis are great motors with alot of power. and the package comes with a kokam 3200mah 11.1V lipoly battery so its a good combo. and the total flying weight is only 64 ounces so i believe it will fly nice at half throttle. here is a link to the page its on take a look. http://hobby-lobby.com/tigermoth.htm

bassman
Old 01-04-2006, 12:43 PM
My Feedback: (5)

double post!!!!

Old 01-04-2006, 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: samolot

Maybe britbrat didnt know what a powerfull motor came with it.
You're right there. I assumed that it was the standard motor. I spent several afternoons with a student & his Moth trying to get a decent flight out of it -- no go (literally). It could barely fly. Hopefully your hot-rod moth will be better.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:09 PM

Which moth was it?
Old 01-04-2006, 02:31 PM

I'm embarrased to say that I don't really know. This one wasn't a little park-flier type, but it had just enough power to ROG from our roadway & couldn't ROG from our grass runway at all. It had enough power to climb very modestly, but it couldn't handle any wind --it just wouldn't progress upwind & experienced real trouble attempting to land in the wind. Unfortunately our field has pretty persistent gusty winds -- a hopeless situation with that Moth.

I just looked at the video clip -- that is not the Moth that I was referring to. There is no way that "our" Moth could loop from level flight.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:30 AM

Dont be britbrat. Your information was good and greatly appreciated. I figuredi would like to go bipe becuase they look filthy fun.