Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Yet Another Newbie Question >

Yet Another Newbie Question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Yet Another Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another Newbie Question

Howdy guys,
Looking for a little advice. I bought a GWS SlowStickF and am in the process of building it. To me, building is the easy and fun part. I enjoy building things and working with my hands. I have been building rubberband powered balsa planes for some time now, but wanted to try my hand at the controls.

I am partial to Futaba since I have one for my son's truck, but I am trying to get an opinion on the GWS tx. This is the cheaper route, but I wonder how well this would work for the future, maybe with a non-GWS plane or even a glow powered plane. I am leaning toward a GWS flight pack and then a 4 ch Futaba tx and then use the extra hardware on a future plane. This difference is about $100.

Guess the question is which route would you take? Are the GWS txs any good? Would the GWS be a good beginner tx and then upgrade down the road to a Futaba. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:54 PM

Bowfish,

I've had a GWS rx since they first came out, and have used it in a lot of planes with no problems.
I use it with my 4 ch. Futaba, and this way I can fly my micro model, and a "regular" sized model on the same Tx. However, if you don't have a Tx right now go with the GWS combo, and later on, if you need more radios, or go further in the hobby and want a bigger plane, the go for the Futaba. Just to throw a real wrench in your plans, have you looked at the Hitec Laser 4 ch. w/micro rx and two micro servoes? Got mine for 129.00, no speed control though.

Jetts
Old 01-08-2003, 05:12 PM

Guess the question is which route would you take? Are the GWS txs any good? Would the GWS be a good beginner tx and then upgrade down the road to a Futaba. Thanks in advance.
If money is a concern go with the GWS TX now and upgrade IF you get a more advanced model or go into glow.

If not I'd get the best TX you can afford and just use the GWS flight pak that way down the road you have a TX that can be used in many different models.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:27 PM

Yes, what we said.

Jetts
Old 01-08-2003, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my GWS Tiger Moth I did the other way round. I got the TM some time after my glow plane, so all I had to do was to get a flight pack and make sure it was JR compatible.

However, you are doing it the RIGHT way round and have the advantage that the GWS trannies are now available.

I know that the tx is available in both +ve & -ve shift, so here's what I would do:

Tentatively decided now what radio you might like for if/when you get around to the glow powered planes then get the appropriate GWS tx to match.

That way you'll be able to control the Slowstick with the new radio when you get it (assuming you get the same channel).